Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

IUBB vs Penn State - 12/29/20 @ 8:30 on BTN

Just now, Stuhoo said:

Phin is such a chilled out guy, but in his postgame interview this is about as caffeinated as I’ve seen him.

Looks like a guy who's been awaiting to finally play a good game and looks incredibly pleased with himself. Loved seeing him going at the basket and attacking. Team needs more of that

It’s gotta age a guy rapidly, right?

But in this day in age with medical people working in hazmat suits every day, I’m not feeling all that sorry for him.

Try drilling teeth for a living with a Welder’s mask. I’ll trade Archie job and pay tomorrow. And heck Dolsen might need me soon.

I am back to back champ at Spiece League. My resume is looking grrrrrrrreat.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

3 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

It’s gotta age a guy rapidly, right?

But in this day in age with medical people working in hazmat suits every day, I’m not feeling all that sorry for him.

I've never felt like he's passionate about his job or that it kills him to see this program struggling, but it's hard to know with him because he's so bland about everything. I feel like Crean cared more, despite his other shortcomings. 

We barely beat PSU at home and it took OT and several favorable calls to get it done. We are so far from where I want us to be. 

But if we lose by 2 to a ranked team, it doesn’t matter because a loss is a loss. We played bad and won, so why isn’t it okay for a win to be a win. Double Standard?

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

I've never felt like he's passionate about his job or that it kills him to see this program struggling, but it's hard to know with him because he's so bland about everything. I feel like Crean cared more, despite his other shortcomings. 

Archie definitely cares. I have zero doubt about that. I question most of the rest.

TJD and Race had subpar games. That hurt but on the flip side and what helped was Rob having a strong game for once on both sides of the ball.

Consistency of play with several players had been a problem this year.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Guys...

In the big 10 this WEEK alone (it’s only Wednesday), we’ve seen:

- Minnesota blow out MSU
- Maryland upset Wisconsin
- Purdue nearly beat Rutgers

Not to mention this Penn State team beat VT and VCU, and played Michigan closely.

Obviously we all want a blow out win, but I seriously don’t get the negativity! Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

3 minutes ago, Jeff_Boy_Ardee said:

But if we lose by 2 to a ranked team, it doesn’t matter because a loss is a loss. We played had and won, so why isn’t it okay for a win to be a win. Double Standard?

This.

We lost by single digits to three ranked teams. I did NOT consider those “moral victories.”

A win against any B1G team (except Nebraska) is a win over a quality opponent. So enjoy it!

Terrible Penn State team

I don’t think that’s true. They may struggle in this league due to their front court but I wouldn’t say they are terrible. They put up 92 on Seaton Hall and whooped the bejeezus out of a top 15 team a couple weeks ago. Can’t remember who. I still have to admit to being very disappointed though. PSU put up 85 on us tonight. A lot better teams can’t say that. I’m wondering where we are at defensively.

2 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

This.

we lost by single digits to three ranked teams.

I did NOT consider those “moral victories.”

A win against any B1G team (except Nebraska) is a win over a quality opponent. So enjoy it!

If you guys want to compare a loss to ranked FSU on the road to a game against an average Penn State team then so be it. I'd just note that in that FSU matchup we gave up only 62 points in regulation. Against Penn State we allowed 80 in 40 minutes - I'd say we've got some work to do, but maybe my expectations are too high

2 minutes ago, cappymo14 said:

I don’t think that’s true. They may struggle in this league due to their front court but I wouldn’t say they are terrible. They put up 92 on Seaton Hall and whooped the bejeezus out of a top 15 team a couple weeks ago. Can’t remember who. I still have to admit to being very disappointed though. PSU put up 85 on us tonight. A lot better teams can’t say that. I’m wondering where we are at defensively.

Trayce and race had the worst defense of games I’ve seen from either of them this entire season.

This.
We lost by single digits to three ranked teams. I did NOT consider those “moral victories.”

Nothing is ever black and white. I am looking at our performances in totality not by the individual wins or losses. However, it just so happens our 6-4 record matches who we are. We aren’t bad. We aren’t good. That’s what this team is.

I’ll enjoy it more than a loss and less than a convincing win, but I have a pretty good guess how this season unfolds.

12 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

I think the entire team and Archie wants to be better.  They just aren’t.  It’s not an easy thing to figure out in real time. Frustration, anger and eventually dejection sets in. 

Yeah.  Today's game had to be particularly frustrating because offensively (sans Thompson) I thought we were pretty good.  The things we've gotten on this team about.  Durham played his best game of the year and squared up on threes well.  Galloway continues to show intelligence beyond his years.  Phinisse played better and it was great to see him hit the winning shot, but how is it that a point guard can't get assists?  He had 1 tonight.  I think it was pretty telling that Galloway actually brought the ball up quite a bit.

Honestly, the majority of our easy points seem to be when we get it inside to TJD.  Penn State hit some shots, but we certainly could have controlled them on the boards and didn't.  Thought we had a pretty good offensive effort but defense was mediocre....usually the opposite.

1 minute ago, kreigh8 said:

If you guys want to compare a loss to ranked FSU on the road to a game against an average Penn State team then so be it. I'd just note that in that FSU matchup we gave up only 62 points in regulation. Against Penn State we allowed 80 in 40 minutes - I'd say we've got some work to do, but maybe my expectations are too high

Yes, But we won this game.

That’s still better than losing in overtime to a really good team.

2 minutes ago, cappymo14 said:

Va tech was ranked team (15) They are almost out of top 25 now cause they were overated early.  PSU fired their coach right before the season.  They suck.  

Just now, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Nothing is ever black and white. I am looking at our performances in totality not by the individual wins or losses. However, it just so happens our 6-4 record matches who we are. We aren’t bad. We aren’t good. That’s what this team is.

I’ll enjoy it more than a loss and less than a convincing win, but I have a pretty good guess how this season unfolds.

If we had lost, I would have been less disappointed than the NW loss.  I know they are 3-1 in conference, but I can't wrap my mind around that.