Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

IUBB vs Penn State - 12/29/20 @ 8:30 on BTN

1 minute ago, KzooHoosier82 said:

I don’t understand most of the negative comments tonight. We played much better than the last two games. Penn St just happened to play really well and made a ton of tough shots. I think we did well enough to escape with a win and hopefully the confidence grows from here 

We barely beat PSU at home and it took OT and several favorable calls to get it done. We are so far from where I want us to be. 

Just now, KzooHoosier82 said:

I don’t understand most of the negative comments tonight. We played much better than the last two games. Penn St just happened to play really well and made a ton of tough shots. I think we did well enough to escape with a win and hopefully the confidence grows from here 

I'll bite, for me it's that this was not a good Penn State team at all, and we let them hang around for 45 minutes tonight. Even when we went on that run of 3's to open it up late only to give it up 3 minutes later. Can get away with that at home against a below average Penn State team but our margin for error won't allow that to work against nearly anyone else in the conference. If that weren't a trend I think people would be more at ease after tonight. 

1 minute ago, TheWatShot said:

Do you think Archie Miller likes his job? After games like this, it's hard to imagine he does. 

I think the entire team and Archie wants to be better.  They just aren’t.  It’s not an easy thing to figure out in real time. Frustration, anger and eventually dejection sets in. 

5 minutes ago, KzooHoosier82 said:

Because Penn State is terrible, we barely won, and our schedule is brutal moving forward. 

Would love to see us find ways of getting TJD the ball on the block more. I like seeing him take his defender off the bounce, but I still don't think his skill set will allow for that to work enough. Penn State didn't have an answer for him down there and I found us to still struggle to get it to him down there

By far our worst defensive performance of the year. Race and TJD were very questionable tonight in terms of effort I thought. TJD body language was exceptionally terrible this evening. Does he not know scouts watch these games? 

Happy for Al and Rob to have some shine tonight. Al needs to hit those wide open threes he had late in the game. They were wide open.. 

Trey is still our best freshman and I don’t see that changing. Rob is my MVP this game, his defense usually saves us each night but tonight it saved Our butts even more so. 

Would be nice we finish at Illinois and Northwestern but the season is not over. An ugly win sucks to watch but it’s a win. 

2 minutes ago, kreigh8 said:

I'll bite, for me it's that this was not a good Penn State team at all, and we let them hang around for 45 minutes tonight. Even when we went on that run of 3's to open it up late only to give it up 3 minutes later. Can get away with that at home against a below average Penn State team but our margin for error won't allow that to work against nearly anyone else in the conference. If that weren't a trend I think people would be more at ease after tonight. 

To say this Penn St team isn’t at all good is pretty ill informed. They live and die by the 3 so they’ll have some bad losses but they’ve played much better than their record and beat a ranked Virginia Tech team by 20. 

5 minutes ago, kreigh8 said:

It is not a bad Penn St team. They have four losses— this is their first loss to an unranked team. All of their losses have been close; all by six points or less, except for at Illinois, and they were tied at the half in that one.

HOWEVER...They have a serious gaping flaw with no inside presence on offense. It’s not a good team, but they will win their share. B1G games.

Just now, KzooHoosier82 said:

To say this Penn St team isn’t at all good is pretty ill informed. They live and die by the 3 so they’ll have some bad losses but they’ve played much better than their record and beat a ranked Virginia Tech team by 20. 

I just think last year's Penn State team was far better. Yes they could shoot, but I found them to be incredibly small tonight and not very skilled with the ball (TOs, decision making). Sadly we may not be that far ahead of them in those categories we were able to survive their shooting barrage.

I'm not going to pretend I've seen much of their play this season, I just didn't think that was a very good Penn State team tonight.

1 minute ago, Stuhoo said:

It is not a bad Penn St team. They have four losses— this is their first loss to an unranked team. All of their losses have been close; all by six points or less, except for at Illinois, and they were tied at the half in that one.

They are 3-4. That is by definition bad. 

8 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

Do you think Archie Miller likes his job? After games like this, it's hard to imagine he does. 

It’s gotta age a guy rapidly, right?

But in this day in age with medical people working in hazmat suits every day, I’m not feeling all that sorry for him.