Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Brass Cannon

Our Upperclassmen’s Regression and a Case for Playing our 2020 Kids More

3 hours ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Yea we definitely don't need a backup big man at all. 

Oh...he would be a great add at this point, but he has not been better than Brunk (especially as a locker room  leader) and this isn't a fantasy football team where you can stockpile backups in case someone gets injured. If he'd left the team the past year I could see the frustration, but this kid is three years removed from the program.

30 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Oh...he would be a great add at this point, but he has not been better than Brunk (especially as a locker room  leader) and this isn't a fantasy football team where you can stockpile backups in case someone gets injured. If he'd left the team the past year I could see the frustration, but this kid is three years removed from the program.

Still a kid Archie should have tried to develop. He had the potential to be a serviceable big. 

On 12/31/2020 at 4:56 PM, rcs29 said:

To me that says desperation and uncertainty. It also admits failures to cure 2 of the biggest problems he's had since day 1 and it took me (the AD) to get him to address through fear for his job. I fire him and find the guy who most aligns with my visions for the program. Who's realistic? How much $ do I have to work with? If $ is not a road block I go out and offer Stevens with the understanding it's a long shot and then pivot to a Beard, Few, Pearl, Fife, Collins, Keatts etc.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

The list I have heard which is not saying much is Stevens, a real long long shot, Mike White, Beard (another real long shot), Alford (most likely) and Fife.

Alford would have to bring in a defensive coordinator. But none of that is happening this year. Archie is not getting fired this year. 

7 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

The list I have heard which is not saying much is Stevens, a real long long shot, Mike White, Beard (another real long shot), Alford (most likely) and Fife.

Alford would have to bring in a defensive coordinator. But none of that is happening this year. Archie is not getting fired this year. 

I would guess at any point in time, an AD has a list of coaching candidates at the ready, for whatever reason (Archie goes 0-30 and needs to be canned; Archie goes 30-0 and gets hired by the Knicks; Archie suddenly quits. These are all just "fun" little hypotheticals; don't get yourselves in an uproar).

But you mentioning these folks makes me wonder if there actually have been discussions among the higher-ups about Archie's future in B-town?

And since we've had four openings in the past 20 years (Davis hired; Sampson hired; Crean hired; Miller hired) and Alford never got the gig, I thought at this point, that was just something that wasn't gonna happen? 

On 1/3/2021 at 9:15 PM, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

I think it's crazy that we are likely to see two recruiting classes never play in an NCAA tourney game. 

2016- De'Ron Davis, Curtis Jones, Devonte Green, Freddie McSwain and Grant Felon

2017- Justin Smith, Race Thompson, Clifton Moore, Al Durham

Not that we’ve been world beaters the last few years, but when the one NCAAT they all would’ve played in gets cancelled that fun fact deserves a big fat asterisk. 

1 minute ago, LamarCheeks said:

I would guess at any point in time, an AD has a list of coaching candidates at the ready, for whatever reason (Archie goes 0-30 and needs to be canned; Archie goes 30-0 and gets hired by the Knicks; Archie suddenly quits. These are all just "fun" little hypotheticals; don't get yourselves in an uproar).

But you mentioning these folks makes me wonder if there actually have been discussions among the higher-ups about Archie's future in B-town?

And since we've had four openings in the past 20 years (Davis hired; Sampson hired; Crean hired; Miller hired) and Alford never got the gig, I thought at this point, that was just something that wasn't gonna happen? 

I will say I have been told that people who make large donations don't necessarily care for Archie. Words like arrogant, unapproachable get tossed around a lot. There is a large portion of the fan base who know that it's not the job it used to be so most likely no big names are coming unless you offer a lot of money and they want an Indiana guy. That's why you hear Steve's name plus he is good friends with Dolson. 

9 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

I will say I have been told that people who make large donations don't necessarily care for Archie. Words like arrogant, unapproachable get tossed around a lot. There is a large portion of the fan base who know that it's not the job it used to be so most likely no big names are coming unless you offer a lot of money and they want an Indiana guy. That's why you hear Steve's name plus he is good friends with Dolson. 

I am sure this is true, not saying it isn't. But seems like one of those situations where winning would cure all. 

2 hours ago, Treesh said:

God we would be in trouble if we hired Steve. We'd be set back another 10 years. 

I agree. Love what he did when he was a player, but I really want no part of him as a coach. He seems to do very well at mid-majors (SW Missouri, New Mexico) and be relatively mediocre at Power 5s (Iowa, UCLA). Plus, his off-the-court behavior is questionable: there's the Pierre Pierce situation, there's a video of him calling a BYU player an a$$hole in the handshake line and supposedly, ,he nearly got into a rumble with Tim Floyd.

I thought Glass might be leaning in Alford's direction after he fired Crean, but I think he got a huge backlash from alumni who weren't the least bit interested. 

51 minutes ago, LamarCheeks said:

I agree. Love what he did when he was a player, but I really want no part of him as a coach. He seems to do very well at mid-majors (SW Missouri, New Mexico) and be relatively mediocre at Power 5s (Iowa, UCLA). Plus, his off-the-court behavior is questionable: there's the Paul Pierce situation, there's a video of him calling a BYU player an a$$hole in the handshake line and supposedly, ,he nearly got into a rumble with Tim Floyd.

I thought Glass might be leaning in Alford's direction after he fired Crean, but I think he got a huge backlash from alumni who weren't the least bit interested. 

Good points. 

Yes from the Fred Glass presser regarding the coaching search, he gave the impression that Steve was the top priority.  Steve simply isn't a needle mover enough to get us back to a championship. Could he get us to a Sweet 16? Sure, I think a lot of coaches could here and maybe some fans would be okay with that. Fans here are upset with Archie's teams so far and that's understandable.

But if we're going to hire another coach, we must not make a lateral movement. If that time comes, we need the HOMERUN hire. Who that is? I have no idea. 

1 hour ago, LamarCheeks said:

I agree. Love what he did when he was a player, but I really want no part of him as a coach. He seems to do very well at mid-majors (SW Missouri, New Mexico) and be relatively mediocre at Power 5s (Iowa, UCLA). Plus, his off-the-court behavior is questionable: there's the Paul Pierce situation, there's a video of him calling a BYU player an a$$hole in the handshake line and supposedly, ,he nearly got into a rumble with Tim Floyd.

Sums it up perfectly. His only qualification is being Steve Alford. His resume is.....uninspiring. 

Let's hope Archie turns the corner. I have my doubts, but he'll get another year for sure. 

34 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

When you win a lot and you act arrogant people just call it confidence. 

Archie seems like a nice guy and a good guy, but I have never heard him described as a social guy or an @$$ kisser. When you're a big donor, that can be looked at as 'arrogant'. lol

2 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Archie's personality would really work if we were winning. But man... He is BORING. Is his brother the same way?

IF we are winning.....give me boring over abusive,  sleazy,  or creepy. We have had all three of those and it didn't work out well. 

The possibility of hiring Alford, who I also loved as a player, makes me hope all the more that CAM is successful. I don't know Alford personally, but there are too many anecdotes about his behavior to make me want him here. The Pierce thing alone was completely unacceptable.

Archie's personality doesn't seem to be the kind that motivates players. That must be why they come out so flat game after game. It is the coach's responsibility to get his players ready to play from the start and Archie can't seem to do that.

1 hour ago, Honkyman said:

Archie's personality doesn't seem to be the kind that motivates players. That must be why they come out so flat game after game. It is the coach's responsibility to get his players ready to play from the start and Archie can't seem to do that.

But he always seems to motivate them at halftime... we start 2nd halves really good all season long.... Does he need anger/yelling/chip on a shoulder to be motivating? I agree we come out flat to start a lot of games it seems, but then after halftime there is always something different... bottle that... use that before the game... (although if it is anger that doesn't fly well before you have played a minute of action).... gotta find something else, some other way to motivate prior to tipoff.