Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Brass Cannon

Our Upperclassmen’s Regression and a Case for Playing our 2020 Kids More

Jared Jeffries brought up a good point on AJ Guytons podcast and it's something I've said before. STOP WITH THE FAKE PICK AND ROLLS. The whole purpose of the pick and roll is that it's supposed to be difficult to defend. A guard attacking or shooting and a big that can fade, roll or slip. Does the on ball defender go over or under? Do they switch? Does the big hard hedge? Soft hedge? Drop back? Switch? Can that big defend a guard one on one? If the big rolls who slides over to help defend? Does that leave someone in the corners open? That one screen is supposed to open up all of that. Ours happen to be the easiest thing in basketball to defend because it's not actually looking to do anything and it's absolutely infuriating.

4 hours ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Jared Jeffries brought up a good point on AJ Guytons podcast and it's something I've said before. STOP WITH THE FAKE PICK AND ROLLS. The whole purpose of the pick and roll is that it's supposed to be difficult to defend. A guard attacking or shooting and a big that can fade, roll or slip. Does the on ball defender go over or under? Do they switch? Does the big hard hedge? Soft hedge? Drop back? Switch? Can that big defend a guard one on one? If the big rolls who slides over to help defend? Does that leave someone in the corners open? That one screen is supposed to open up all of that. Ours happen to be the easiest thing in basketball to defend because it's not actually looking to do anything and it's absolutely infuriating.

Seems fixable, and should be fixed! IMO that’s a film study issue with coaching staff pointing out the problem.

19 hours ago, HoosierAloha said:

The speed of the game and defense.  If anyone questions why Lander doesn't play more watch him for the few minutes he gets a game.  He's consistently out of position, fouling, or just plain getting scored on.  Galloway isn't where he will be defensively but is capable of acceptable defense because he knows the game. 

Yes, he seems tentative even on defense. That's why he needs to get some more minutes to get over that.

12 minutes ago, LamarCheeks said:

I'm fairly convinced I could post  that it's a crisp, sunny, beautiful day here in Virginia and I just went on a really enjoyable walk at the park with my 10-year old hound. 

And LCS would respond with. "Yeah, but Archie hasn't made any progress in three-plus years. He was a bad hire." 

LOL!

We could win the big ten tournament (which has never happened) and he’d still find something to complain about hahah! 

to be fair , I’d rather have a national championship but still lol

Well I'm just too negative obviously. We can't question. These things. We aren't coaches. Tim Priller will get onto us. Twitter is way worse than here about sunshine pumping. It's embarrassing. 

It’s because we are worried about our perception on Twitter, and to some degree I am too.

But It’s a catch 22, because Twitter is the pulse of our fanbase but it’s not a great look. Winning would cure most.

The administration won’t make moves until the fanbase collectively makes up its mind. It’s full on catch 22 for me with Twitter. I choose not to participate.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

23 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

It’s because we are worried about our perception on Twitter, and to some degree I am too.

But It’s a catch 22, because Twitter is the pulse of our fanbase but it’s not a great look. Winning would cure most.

The administration won’t make moves until the fanbase collectively makes up its mind. It’s full on catch 22 for me with Twitter. I choose not to participate.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

If players and coaches can't handle what on Twitter, then the life of basketball and being Indiana isn't meant for them. 

On 12/27/2020 at 9:33 PM, cappymo14 said:

I wonder how much it matters really. The lineup is Average Joe being spelled off the bench by Less Than Average Joe w/ poor defense. We are talking about getting experience for guys who will likely be career 6-7ppg scorers. There is about as much depth here as an Adam Sandler movie. There just isn’t this “hidden talent” down at the end of the bench that people seem to believe is magically going to develop through another 5 minutes of run on a team of Average Joe’s running an Average Joe offense. The kids are going to get plenty of run throughout the season. It will be enough. The guys who have potential on this team need to play like it. That’s the focus. I absolutely disagree that we should play freshmen in extended minutes to allow Lander, Leal and Galloway to clank a couple extra 3’s in important spots. It’s an empty cupboard. No doubt. Gonna get recruited over anyway with transfer market.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

I disagree 100%.

The only way they end up 6-7ppg scorers if Archie and his staff don’t develop them (if Archie and his staff are still here).

Galloway will score 6-7 on ‘junk points’ alone.  This kid has tons of potential if the staff can help refine his shot and teach him to look to drive and score instead of just driving to pass.  This kid should be getting all the minutes he can handle NOW.  Galloway knows how to play the game.  Most potential of anyone on the roster in my opinion.

Lander plays with such good pace and looks for his opportunities (his shooting will come around).  He will be getting plenty of minutes the next 3 years and should be getting more this year.  He will undoubtedly score points.

Geronimo - the kid has played well in the few minutes he has gotten.  Again, the only way he doesn’t score 6-7ppg is if the staff can’t develop him.

Leal should be getting more opportunities.  He plays hard and has a good jumper.  He is not an elite shooter but he gets it off quickly and has a good stroke.  He has to play more.

On 12/28/2020 at 9:00 AM, ebridges24 said:

I'm not asking this to be an a$$, but what do you see as his skill set?

He is not a point guard and should not be the primary ball handler.

He is an average 3 point shooter.  Shot 36% as a sophomore and 37% as a junior both on 91 attempts.  Everyone would like for it to be higher but that’s the definition of average in college basketball.  
He has also shown that he is one of the few on this roster that can take a couple dribbles and pull up and hit a jumper.

The point is he is not getting the looks he should be getting in an Archie Miller offense.  He plays with no pace and the erratic drives to the basket are tough to watch.  He is not a primarily ball handler and should not be bringing the ball up the court.

20 minutes ago, Str8Hoosiers said:

You really believe nobody on the coaching staff or even the players have thought of this... If it was such an easy fix it would be done. I am sure they go over it, and over it....

Here is the thing.... it is all in the approach and in the History... as LCS preaches over and over again it isn't just 1 year....  The same general comment is made on every single thread, on any post possible.... People aren't picking on LCS just because its how they get our jollies.

Agree to an extent that there is nothing wrong with the question or logic, there is however (in my opinion) something wrong with the way it was asked/phrased.

No I don't think the staff has thought of it. Because if they have and it still isn't fixed, why are they still employed?

38 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

A “negativity” thread was once created and yet there was nothing done about stopping the sunshine pumpers from belittling the people with expectations in that topic.

Just for clarification purposes..

Are you saying sunshine pumpers can't have expectations? What I mean by expectations are competing for conference, regular season and tourney, championships, consistently making the NCAA tourney, and making deep runs.

38 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

Are you saying sunshine pumpers can't have expectations? What I mean by expectations are competing for conference, regular season and tourney, championships, consistently making the NCAA tourney, and making deep runs.

Then why gloss over issues that will prevent meeting said expectations?  That won't make them go away.  If those are the expectations, the problems need to be fixed yesterday.  Why believe it's going to suddenly change, when we're in year 3 and we still have the exact same problems?  Especially when the same things were there with his previous teams (average at best from range, lackluster from the line), so it's not like he's showing any signs of learning or adjusting.

If we have those expectations, we need to address the problems.  

By expectations, I don't mean 'this is what I'm hoping for'.  I mean 'this is what you're being paid millions to do, there will be no excuses'.

53 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

The pumpers don’t appear to. The goalposts seem to keep moving. In year 2 we were ranked and killing it on the recruiting trail. Archie had a 12-9 conference record. 

Since then we aren’t ranked, are far from it in fact. Not doing well on recruiting trail and despite what we hoped. It is not because PT would be hard to come by.  And in addition Archie has a 14-25 big ten record.  

We are going in the wrong direction.  And nobody has even tried to make a realistic case for why year 5 will be different. 

First Archie needed Romeo. Then he needed his players to get older. Then we needed Phin and Hunter to get healthy.  And now just like with Crean people are blaming the players for this year.  

The pumpers expectations are always caveated with an excuse for why they aren’t achieved. 

3 minutes ago, Hoosier Guy said:

The expectations for IU shouldn’t be anything but competing for conference championships and national championships every season. No excuses

Honestly it’s just national championships. Conference championships are steak dinners at Red Lobster, we want the steak dinner at St Elmos.