Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

IUBB @ Illinois - 12/26/20 @ 4:00 ET on FS1-TV

2 minutes ago, Treesh said:

Well.. the players are the ones shooting the basketball and attempting 2 foot lay-ups. The players are indeed the ones who control their effort on rebounds, sprinting back after hard-hedging, knowing the sets (HUNTER/LEAL confusion today). If Archie has mind control of all these boys then that's quite impressive. 

Archie without a doubt deserves some blame but at the end of the day it's the athletes that are on the court finishing simple basketball moves and shots. 

Franklin improved his jumper and driving ability, why didn't Rob or Al? This isn't all on Archie folks. 

Effort has been a problem for 4 years now. That’s on Archie. If a coach can’t get their players to play hard then that’s on the coach. If we’re going to say that it’s not the coach’s fault because he’s not the one missing layups or forgetting the plays then coaches would rarely get fired.

Just now, Josh said:

Young and experienced are two different things.

TJD has started for two years.  Al is a senior.  Race is in his 3rd year in Archie's system.

This team is experienced. 

LOL! 

4 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

As a Sophomore, you're a vet in today's game. You get one year of "freshmen mistakes." Problem is that we have Senior guards making high school freshman mistakes. 

A vet?!

I really need to stop looking at message boards lol

Being involved in collegiate basketball coaching myself, I'd say the players are the main reason we see coaching changes. Why do you think coaches cheat at this level? We want the "best" players correct? Now of course it doesn't always work out that way (UK who is 1-6) but having great players will keep the fan base at ease and save our ***** more times than often.
We can fire Archie and bring in five star recruits or whatever, but if they don't finish the plays like our current players aren't, then that blame needs to be considered on the players. Too many times that coaches get blamed and it's a casual basketball fans excuse most of the time. Of course coaches cost themselves the job (Tom Crean) but from talking to people in the B1G coaching a lot of these fellow coaches would agree that Archie is doing a great job.
Tell the boys to make a layup. 
A) only the coaches get paid in college basketball so sorry but yeah they should get the blame
B) if other B1G coaches are saying "great" things about a coach who is massively under-performing then that may not be a good thing. Maybe they want him to keep on coaching

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

36 minutes ago, Treesh said:

Experience on paper is different than actual experience. This will be Race second year playing. Rob has been completely out of what anyone could’ve predicted. Al is Al, he’s inconsistent like most of Crean’s players. 

Then you bring all freshman of of the bench.. that’s pretty young to me. Rob and Al are the only ones with true experience. 

I looked up Illinois’ players ages. They sure look about the same age/experience level. 

5 minutes ago, 8bucks said:

I looked up Illinois’ players ages. They sure look about the same age/experience level. 

‘Inexperienced/young’ is just another excuse. Our 5 leading players in mpg this year are TJD, Durham, Franklin, Thompson and Phinisee. A senior, two juniors, and two sophomores. We’re not losing because we’re inexperienced. We’re losing because we can’t score. 

Young and experienced are two different things.
TJD has started for two years.  Al is a senior.  Race is in his 3rd year in Archie's system.
This team is experienced. 
4th technically for Race because he RS

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, TheWatShot said:

TJD played against a guy who might make it in the NBA and got eaten alive. Imagine what real NBA players would do to him. 

Obviously it's up to him on whether or not he returns next year, but if he goes, he got bad advice. 

He knew what he needed to do to get to the next level and looks like he didn’t listen much.  Maybe he should go ask Armaan’s mom for a hoop.

1 hour ago, Treesh said:

I don’t see how we can blame Archie for this game. The amount of layups Hunter missed, TJD layups, and missed rebounds.. this game was ours. 

if TJD came to play maybe we win. His body language is so awful after making a mistake.

I don’t see how we can’t blame Archie for this game.  He continues to put these guys in awful positions to succeed.  Al Durham is a classic example.  He continues to give Hunter minutes who anyone could see can’t play at this level.  

TJD likes to flex on lesser opponents.  Didn’t see a lot of flexing going on today.  

My problem today is more the macro then the micro. While, the offense stinks at times, we hung with a top Illinois team. To me the bigger problem is that Illinois, who was at the same point as IU when we each made our coaching hires, has surged far ahead of IU and Underwood has done a much better job coaching and recruiting. 

We need to follow Illinois model and after two terrible hires from Mid Major Level they hired a guy with Power 5 experience while IU did not. IU needs to hope three is a charm like it was for Illini and get someone with Power 5 experience. IU to Dayton is to big a jump. Not Archie's fault but the job is to big for him. That is on administration for not going out and hiring someone with High Major experience. 

Galloway (who cant shoot) playing 32 minutes while Lander plays 6 minutes is a huge red flag IMO.  Im a touch concerned about Lander not just this year but moving forward as well. As Ive said the last four years any team that Al Durham gets significant playing time on is not a good team.

I don't want to even talk about today's game but has anyone seen worse touch around the basket as what hunter showed today and pretty much the entire team? My goodness that was disturbing

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Archie may not get a 5th year.  Old media, and new media all seem to be calling him out rightfully so for this junk offense. 

The Indystar is calling out IU.  Casuals still read it for some reason. Social Media and Internet content creators are now openly being critical. 

After this season is a complete **** show there might be enough uproar to get rid of this uninspiring terrible leader that we have paid 12+ million for.  We have spent almost 500,000 for each big ten win. 

I liked the effort. When I watched Illinois (saw them play three times) I thought for sure this would have been a whooping from the get-go, but Indiana played them close most the game. The effort and defensive intensity was there and the game ended closer than I had expected it would, but Indiana simply isn’t as talented and certainly not as deep as Illinois. I didn’t expect a win at Illinois, but they at least made it interesting for most the game.

I liked the low turnovers, although there were some costly ones in the last 5-10 minutes.

The defense is definitely a top tier defense (until someone like Dosunmo goes off, which is what he does routinely against nearly everyone). Illinois is a top five offense, and Indiana’s defense made them work.

Shooting continues to be abysmal, although Armaan is a pleasant surprise and has strung together some fantastic performances (three turnovers is too much, but he did have two steals to somewhat offset his miscues). The rest of the guards on offense look like they were brought up from some middle school B-Team compared to how Franklin has played of late). Needless to say, Franklin is a bright spot.

Attempting to grab rebounds against BigTen opponents is going to be tough to watch.

Trey Galloway deserves his minutes for effort alone, but he needs to develop an outside shot. He’s a smart player, even if he has occasional “freshman” mistakes. I will enjoy watching him every night, even on nights he’s not at his best. I know his heart will be in it no matter what.

TJD is undersized, as most would be against a 280 pound 7-footer, but he’s getting far too much of the blame on this thread in my opinion. Sure, he’s not ready for the NBA, but he’s still the All-American with a number two ranking for college player of the year.  Few players can play at the 20/8 level he routinely plays every game. He was more underwhelming than usual, but contrary to a lot of opinions, he’s having a pretty remarkable season (especially on a team with no shooters and being undersized).

One question...what the f..k was that shot by Al near the end of the game? That crap drives me insane. Shoot to score. Don’t shoot to draw a foul. That’s his biggest fault. It’s usually driving into crowded lanes, but that shot was just ridiculous. 

TJD is an All-American, and I bet we see that play out. I doubt he has many games like tonight. Franklin brings me hope, but Indiana needs more like him. Trey could be a special player who does all the little things. Rob, Hunter, and Al have been mostly disappointing this season. Lander has a long ways to go. I would like to see Geronimo get his feet a little more wet, even if he isn’t quite ready. I think it would do him and the team some good, if you can think long-term. I wish Brunk was at least available. He’s not a favorite for a lot on this board, but he’s had some standout performances in his career and it would be nice to have him available to see if a particular night is one of those nights for him. Race will continue to improve, but he too is undersized. I would like to see his rebounding numbers higher, which is what I most expected from him this season, but he’s much improved all around.

I wonder what Stewart’s plans are after the break. 

Of the ten guys to play for Indiana on Saturday, only Khristian Lander recorded a positive +/-. He played 6:11 in the first half, including a 4:43 stint where he helped stopped a 6-0 Illinois run that tied the game at 9. After his shift, Indiana led 19-16. Lander did not play in the second half.

Indiana’s new starting lineup of Franklin-Durham-Galloway-Thompson-Jackson-Davis had a productive afternoon in Champaign. That group went +4 in 16:13, including +4 to start the first half and +1 to start the second.

The old starting unit of Phinisee-Franklin-Durham-Thompson-TJD did not play together in the Illinois game.

Rob Phinisee was a team-worst -14. IU especially struggled on the defensive end with Phinisee in the game. IU gave up 36 points in his 17:07, or 2.10 points per minute (PPM). In the 22:53 he sat, IU gave 33 points (1.44 PPM).

image-12.png