Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

IUBB vs Northwestern - 12/23/20 @ 8:30 ET on BTN

It’s completely unacceptable that in year 4 we’re losing games because our players can’t be bothered to show up and play hard for a full 40 minutes. In this crazy pandemic world a lot of things are out of our control. But effort is entirely within our control, and our team’s is piss poor. 

There is no excuse for IU losing to Northwestern no matter how much better they may be. Lander and Galloway should be playing ahead of Phinisee and Durham. Phinisee and Durham are who they are. Phinisee is passive and simply isn't good enough to be a starting point guard in the Big Ten. And Durham makes too many mistakes--especially for a four year player. Lander and Galloway are freshmen and will make freshman mistakes. But at least they play with passion and energy. Archie isn't a bad coach but he isn't a particularly good one. He'll be gone in two years at the rate things are going.

43 minutes ago, Hoosier Guy said:

Anyone who sees my posts knows that I want Archie to succeed. I really do. It just doesn’t look like that’s going to be the case though. I shouldn’t be hoping for effort on a game by game basis. That’s to be expected every single game. Too many times IU comes out flat and that’s coaching. It’s Archie’s job to get the team ready to play. All of that is before we get to the product on the court. That isn’t good either

Completely agree my man.  I don’t care who the next coach is unless they are a rapist or one that allows that environment to flourish, or just don’t give a **** about the university or what it once stood for.  I want to win.  I will continue to support every coach we have until that change is made.  I completely feel you there.  I hope we win out, as does most everyone here.  But we can all see where this could head if we have another blah season.  It is what it is.  I wouldn’t keep my job for mediocre results and I make a fraction of what he does.  If my boss couldn’t get his employees to show up to work and perform he would be fired.  At the end of the day results matter, and these aren’t results that are remotely close to good enough if the season goes this way.  We will see how they respond, but we are at Illinois next.  It’s the bed he has made.

For me the buck stops with Rob and Al. The mentality and effort is obviously a problem too, and that's squarely on Archie, but if those 2 were even ~25% better then they have been (which would bring them to playing average at best) we're 7-1 right now and all is well.

We can talk about their lack of development all we want and if that's an Archie issue, but at some point it comes down to how much they want it, too. We're at the point where we need to throw Lander to the fire and live with the growing pains or Al and Rob need to take a long look in the mirror and figure it out.

16 hours ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Another 4 year rebuild with a new coach in 2 years. I’ll be 50 by the time we are nationally competitive again....

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

You're better off than me, I'll prolly be long gone.

16 hours ago, cthomas said:

The reputation of Indiana basketball was made with Branch McCracken and Bob Knight. Since then, not so much. Given the nature of the game right now, I don't see a logical reason to change coaches again unless you have a consensus great option. And, if you had such a coach, why would you think he would come here. We are a destination job in our own mind. Good job for sure, but great, I'm starting to wonder. One other point, Al Durham deserves better than he gets here. He seems like a great kid and I'm sure he is giving us all he has. Win or lose, that's all I ask.

I'm sure Al is a great kid and maybe he does deserve better. But, he has been bad enough that it is more than worth to let the 5* recruit take some of his minutes and more of Rob's. Given the chance, he will be better than both in no time.

Here is how I see our 3 top guards under CAM. I posted this last year also. RP--rated 4* out of HS has played like a 3* his whole career @ IU. AD--3* out of HS still a 3*. AF 3* star out of HS played like 3* last year 4* this year. Where is the development? That's on CAM. He recruits to fit his style of coaching. Well obviously his style of coaching is average. I really wanted CAM to be the guy IU led us to believe he was. Need I say more about that... Is it me or has anyone else noticed how soft Jerome Hunter is? Shies away from any contact on offense or defense. Everything is finesse for him. No power moves. 

If IU keeps playing the way they have for past 2 years I can't wait for NASCAR to start back up. It's all I watch IU & NASCAR in that order but it may change come mid January.

Here is how I see our 3 top guards under CAM. I posted this last year also. RP--rated 4* out of HS has played like a 3* his whole career @ IU. AD--3* out of HS still a 3*. AF 3* star out of HS played like 3* last year 4* this year. Where is the development? That's on CAM. He recruits to fit his style of coaching. Well obviously his style of coaching is average. I really wanted CAM to be the guy IU led us to believe he was. Need I say more about that... Is it me or has anyone else noticed how soft Jerome Hunter is? Shies away from any contact on offense or defense. Everything is finesse for him. No power moves. 
If IU keeps playing the way they have for past 2 years I can't wait for NASCAR to start back up. It's all I watch IU & NASCAR in that order but it may change come mid January.

Overall I agree except I would say RP played like a 4* his first year. 4*s aren’t expected to always be instant starters and he jumped right and did well. Since then I agree.

Players only seem to marginally get better and I would at a minimum expect that as kids get older. Nothing from this staff has shown an indication that they are really good at developing kids or recruiting kids who will be able to take advantage of cook hall and push themselves

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app