Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

IUBB vs Northwestern - 12/23/20 @ 8:30 ET on BTN

I'm sure we'll see you all back here for the Ill game...
Yes. Just because we have completely lost faith in this coaching staff doesn't mean we aren't fans. You personally are one of my favorite posters here, regardless of topic, but no need to alienate certain fans for having higher expectations than others. It'd be different if we didn't have 3+ years of sample size but we do. I'm always going to watch IU basketball and football no matter what but it's my right as that loyalist to be pissed off when things aren't going anywhere near as I expect them to. And for 3+ years I'd say that has been the case way, way more often than not in basketball. My opinion (fandom) will show when you meet or exceed expectations via the football threads. Again I'm not trying to get into an argument with you as I respect you very much on this board. Meant negative basketball posters are lambasted for their views and I think deep, deep down everyone is believing the same thing yet there are those that express it and those that hold on to hope. That's the difference between pessimism and optimism and it's annoying to hear the other side's logical thoughts on the matter. Now there are outliers and I'll agree.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

The reputation of Indiana basketball was made with Branch McCracken and Bob Knight. Since then, not so much. Given the nature of the game right now, I don't see a logical reason to change coaches again unless you have a consensus great option. And, if you had such a coach, why would you think he would come here. We are a destination job in our own mind. Good job for sure, but great, I'm starting to wonder. One other point, Al Durham deserves better than he gets here. He seems like a great kid and I'm sure he is giving us all he has. Win or lose, that's all I ask.

Phinisee and Durham aren’t doing it. Lander has to get more minutes. He was a highly rated recruit for a reason. As for Galloway, he’s got fundamentals. That’s a trait the majority of the players don’t possess

I don’t think Lander is ready for meaningful minutes, but I do think he should be getting more than 3-4 a game. 10 tops though. Understand and look at it realistically now. He’s a turnstile out there. He really is. Dude gave up a 7-0 run all by himself. Teams know this. They all watch film. The second he steps on the court, and I mean immediately, the guy he’s guarding takes him to the rim, first touch. I’m not sure that it was really ever the plan to have him play big minutes this year. I felt at the time that he was so undersized that the re-class was appropriate to get him into the conditioning program immediately. That way next season, he wouldn’t be behind physically when he really was expected to take a bulk of minutes. He needs practice reps and a slow roll out imo. Even with our current struggles.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

2 minutes ago, cthomas said:

The reputation of Indiana basketball was made with Branch McCracken and Bob Knight. Since then, not so much. Given the nature of the game right now, I don't see a logical reason to change coaches again unless you have a consensus great option. And, if you had such a coach, why would you think he would come here. We are a destination job in our own mind. Good job for sure, but great, I'm starting to wonder. One other point, Al Durham deserves better than he gets here. He seems like a great kid and I'm sure he is giving us all he has. Win or lose, that's all I ask.

I want kids to give all they have as well. But if all they have are costly mistakes and no offense, then maybe the coach should try another option?  Logical reason to change coaches is MAYBE it is better than what we have?  Can’t be any worse than the indifference Crean/Archie have given us??  

3 minutes ago, cthomas said:

I’m a firm believer that if somebody isn’t “it” you don’t hang onto them until something clearly better comes along.  Never would have met my wife.  

6 minutes ago, cthomas said:

So don't fire Archie because we should be scared about staying mediocre?

3 minutes ago, IUCane said:

I want kids to give all they have as well. But if all they have are costly mistakes and no offense, then maybe the coach should try another option?  Logical reason to change coaches is MAYBE it is better than what we have?  Can’t be any worse than the indifference Crean/Archie have given us??  

I would add Davis and Sampson to that.

7 minutes ago, cthomas said:

Keeping Crean for 2 more years instead of making a change in 2015 is part of what got us to where we are now. 

The right coach is out there somewhere. I have no idea who it is, but no one will convince me that this is the best we can hope for anymore. 

1 minute ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

What is our track record since Knight?  What makes you think it will change?

Yes. Just because we have completely lost faith in this coaching staff doesn't mean we aren't fans. You personally are one of my favorite posters here, regardless of topic, but no need to alienate certain fans for having higher expectations than others. It'd be different if we didn't have 3+ years of sample size but we do. I'm always going to watch IU basketball and football no matter what but it's my right as that loyalist to be pissed off when things aren't going anywhere near as I expect them to. And for 3+ years I'd say that has been the case way, way more often than not in basketball. My opinion (fandom) will show when you meet or exceed expectations via the football threads. Again I'm not trying to get into an argument with you as I respect you very much on this board. Meant negative basketball posters are lambasted for their views and I think deep, deep down everyone is believing the same thing yet there are those that express it and those that hold on to hope. That's the difference between pessimism and optimism and it's annoying to hear the other side's logical thoughts on the matter. Now there are outliers and I'll agree.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

I laugh at those who comment about forgetting there’s a game or that they’re “done” with this team or program. We all know they’ll be right back on this board when IU starts slow next game or goes 4+ minutes without a FG. Just because some fans don’t blast the coach, program, or players doesn’t mean they’re ignoring our (many) flaws. I’ll continue to call out dumb posts as they are. I’ve made plenty and expect to be called out when I do.

The issue has nothing to do with us, the fans. If the program wanted to be elite again they’d put the effort in to make it elite. Have you seen where they’ve done this in the last couple of decades? I haven’t. I’ll continue to support this team and program because that’s how I was raised and I’m about to earn my third degree from this university. I won’t let it affect me to the point I’m so outraged I trash people who actually have skin in the game. That’s not my style.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Maybe it got mentioned earlier, but why did Lander sit after making that three early in the game? Was Archie mad at him for making an open shot? Is he trying to baby him along, and wanted that to be the only thing he could reflect on from this game? Did he just forget he was on the bench, like Crean used to do with Zeller? 

2 minutes ago, cthomas said:

What is our track record since Knight?  What makes you think it will change?

Actually Sampson was a Good coach and I think we would have been back by now IF he was a CLEAN coach.     I wouldn’t lump him in with Davis, Crean or Miller

My larger point is that the problem goes beyond the coach and to the people in charge of hiring the coach. Until that is different, you get the same result over and over. I have no confidence that the powers that be want anything different than what we have. Otherwise, they would have hired a basketball guy as the new AD.

Just now, cthomas said:

My larger point is that the problem goes beyond the coach and to the people in charge of hiring the coach. Until that is different, you get the same result over and over. I have no confidence that the powers that be want anything different than what we have. Otherwise, they would have hired a basketball guy as the new AD.

The fact that Archie can’t even replicate Creans success tells you that regardless of what other things are going on. Archie isn’t the guy.  Let’s ditch him and fix the other stuff also

2 minutes ago, IUCane said:

Actually Sampson was a Good coach and I think we would have been back by now IF he was a CLEAN coach.     I wouldn’t lump him in with Davis, Crean or Miller

Agree about his coaching, but IU was never going to embrace his approach or the guys he was bringing in.

8 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

I don’t really care if they fire Archie or not because I have zero confidence in our next hire being any better. I want to like Archie and I don’t think he’s a bad coach. We just can’t put it together for some reason  I have no idea why not. Year 4 doesn’t look much different from year 1. 

Maybe it got mentioned earlier, but why did Lander sit after making that three early in the game? Was Archie mad at him for making an open shot? Is he trying to baby him along, and wanted that to be the only thing he could reflect on from this game? Did he just forget he was on the bench, like Crean used to do with Zeller? 

My guess. Lander is awful on D and doesn’t rebound his position. But with the way Al D played tonight, ANYONE deserved his minutes.

Lander wants to play WAY faster. I wish we had a roster that could play at his Tempo. Like Illinois. Archies O slows everything down. It’s boring and at this point non winning basketball.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app