Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Naturalhoosier

Game Thread - Outback Bowl vs Ole Miss Sat 1/2/21 12:30pm ABC

2 hours ago, LamarCheeks said:

Egads. I just made the mistake of looking at the Big Ten's Facebook page. Holy crap -- are we getting roasted. And to be honest, we had it coming. We pissed and moaned about the league walking back its six-game rule and picking O$U for the title game. We fussed when the CFP committee kept us out of a NY6 bowl. We bitched about the B1G pushing Northwestern over us for the Citrus, and even had our former AD roasting the B1.0 in a tweet. Then we pulled the stunt with removing the conference logo from our unis -- or covering it up, whichever it was. We did all that, and then ... went out and crapped our pants on the field. Can't make that much of a stink about things, then perform like that. 

That's why I felt all along this game was a no-win situation. The only way we gain any cachet would've been to win by three TDs or so. 

Can't figure which was more upsetting: this, or having Bob Knight finally return to AH after all those years away and all that bitterness -- only to let the goddamn Purdue Toiletmakers walk all  over us. 

I think you nailed it here. This is the detailed version of why I said we got our ***** shut the hell up. And you’re right about the no win situation. Our only choice was to win big. But in the end what makes it a million times worse is if we drive down and score to win 27-26, it would have counted for just as much b/c we came back and won with a backup QB with a separated shoulder while limiting a prolific offense. 

We deserve a roasting. And to answer your last question, this.....this loss is way worse.

I’m just more disappointed than anything. That loss proved that this season might have been an aberration. I hope that’s not the case. IU wanted all the smoke with bashing the B1G and the committee. IU didn’t hold up its end of the bargain. They’re going to have to prove a lot next season

Egads. I just made the mistake of looking at the Big Ten's Facebook page. Holy crap -- are we getting roasted. And to be honest, we had it coming. We pissed and moaned about the league walking back its six-game rule and picking O$U for the title game. We fussed when the CFP committee kept us out of a NY6 bowl. We bitched about the B1G pushing Northwestern over us for the Citrus, and even had our former AD roasting the B1.0 in a tweet. Then we pulled the stunt with removing the conference logo from our unis -- or covering it up, whichever it was. We did all that, and then ... went out and crapped our pants on the field. Can't make that much of a stink about things, then perform like that. 
That's why I felt all along this game was a no-win situation. The only way we gain any cachet would've been to win by three TDs or so. 
Can't figure which was more upsetting: this, or having Bob Knight finally return to AH after all those years away and all that bitterness -- only to let the goddamn Purdue Toiletmakers walk all  over us. 
Definitely having the general back and getting beat down on our home court without question. This bowl game is terrible but at the end of the day we suck at football and everyone knows it so this was to be expected. Just furthers our legacy as a terrible program. This season was good but don't be mistaken i think covid played a role as we played less games. I think our guys played above our level in some games but a longer season would have taken a toll on injuries and what not. Just my opinion. The penn st win is probably in top 150 most unlikely comebacks in all football history

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I get the argument of “oh, they should be even more motivated to win next season”. 

Okay, isn’t that the same argument we had for blowing Ole Miss out? Isn’t there a reason we took off the B1G logo’s? weren’t our players talking crap on Twitter for being left out?

We should’ve never played in the bowl game. There was no positive from playing in this, minus staying in a hotel with 80 degree weather. 

13 minutes ago, Treesh said:

I get the argument of “oh, they should be even more motivated to win next season”. 

Okay, isn’t that the same argument we had for blowing Ole Miss out? Isn’t there a reason we took off the B1G logo’s? weren’t our players talking crap on Twitter for being left out?

We should’ve never played in the bowl game. There was no positive from playing in this, minus staying in a hotel with 80 degree weather. 

Since when is Indiana too big for playing in a bowl game? Isn’t winning a bowl one of CTA’s season goals? Wouldn’t having won likely gave us a top 10 finish for the first time in over 50 years? 

I don't buy the argument that we shouldn't have played the game.  With Indiana's history you can't ignore a bowl invite.  NO MATTER how much you think you got shafted.

Unfortunately, this game did add some additional cement to the "IU stinks at football" belief.  

This changed what could have been a great season into just a good season, but it sure left an awful bad taste in our mouths that won't wash out for another 9 months.  

50 minutes ago, Treesh said:

If you want to be taken seriously, you don't quit because you didn't get what you wanted. 

2 hours ago, TheWatShot said:

If you want to be taken seriously, you don't quit because you didn't get what you wanted. 

Absolutely! I agree.

My only counter argument to this would be there was simply more risk to damage our image with us losing than us winning a bowl game vs a 4-5 team. If we win, everyone forgets about the bowl game today. 

Since we lost, we now live with a whole offseason of questioning was this season a fluke / the nation laughing at us for wanting more respect.

I think we if we skipped the bowl, we send a larger message to the B1G and go into the next season as a top 15 program with great momentum. 

9 minutes ago, Treesh said:

Absolutely! I agree.

My only counter argument to this would be there was simply more risk to damage our image with us losing than us winning a bowl game vs a 4-5 team. If we win, everyone forgets about the bowl game today. 

Since we lost, we now live with a whole offseason of questioning was this season a fluke / the nation laughing at us for wanting more respect.

I think we if we skipped the bowl, we send a larger message to the B1G and go into the next season as a top 15 program with great momentum. 

What message would it have sent to the big ten by us skipping? Regardless of feeling snubbed or not, it was still the best bowl game we’ve been to in 30 years. Yes, we were put in a no win situation, but it was not something we could say no to. We had to take it on the chin, and go out and win. We choked, but our image would not have been salvaged by taking our ball and going home. And remember we haven’t won a bowl game in 30 years. No matter the margin of victory, a win ends our season at 7-1, ranked in the top 10 and getting that bowl victory monkey off our back. We should still be ranked going into next season regardless of this loss. If Penix is back, we should still go in ranked in the top 15. Nothing good could have come from sitting out. Good things could have come from playing and winning. We just choked.

19 hours ago, NashvilleHoosier said:

We should still be ranked going into next season regardless of this loss. If Penix is back, we should still go in ranked in the top 15. Nothing good could have come from sitting out. Good things could have come from playing and winning. We just choked.

I don't think so.  A lot of overnights happen between now and when the the pre-season polls come out for next year.  I would not surprised to see us out of the top 25.  There are just too many years of futility that everyone remembers.  I think the vast majority of people that vote for those things will look at 2020 as a complete and utter fluke.  

I hope I am wrong.  

6 minutes ago, jmsgws said:

I don't think so.  A lot of overnights happen between now and when the the pre-season polls come out for next year.  I would not surprised to see us out of the top 25.  There are just too many years of futility that everyone remembers.  I think the vast majority of people that vote for those things will look at 2020 as a complete and utter fluke.  

I hope I am wrong.  

We will very likely be ranked, and reasonably likely ranked in the top 15. We are newsworthy, and newsworthiness propels rankings.

46 minutes ago, jmsgws said:

I hope I am wrong.  

I see where people would want to think this, but I really don't think that will be the case. I think our loss in this bowl game will make a lot of people think that our #7 ranking was a fluke, but I can't see us dropping below somewhere in the 15-20 range in the final polls. Starting next season with a ton of our production returning, including the QB who mainly got us up to our #7 ranking, will not be outweighed by so many previous years of futility. I think the worst case is we end up somewhere just inside the top 25 b/c pollsters will want to include names like PSU, Oregon, Auburn, probably some other sexier names back into the polls, but I don't think we'll just be ignored entirely. If so, well fine. If there is anything else possible to fuel the fire, maybe a preseason ranking snub will do it, but geez I really hope the chip on our shoulders doesn't need to be any bigger at this point. 

14 minutes ago, NashvilleHoosier said:

geez I really hope the chip on our shoulders doesn't need to be any bigger at this point. 

Hell, I thought the chip on their shoulders would have caused them to roll all over Ole Miss.  

I am not sure they really have chips on their shoulders.