Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Naturalhoosier

Game Thread - Outback Bowl vs Ole Miss Sat 1/2/21 12:30pm ABC

Well we have to face this one for exactly what it is. We got our ***** shut the hell up. Now everybody was right about us. A sub .500 team without their best playmakers and we couldn’t finish when it mattered most. Now we get to hear how we weren’t for real all offseason and we’re still that program who hasn’t won a bowl game for 80 years. Terrible way to go out. 

There comes a time where statements need to be backed up by results. It didn’t happen today

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Even before the shoulder injury Tuttle didn’t look good throwing the ball down the field.  He had two great passes, a 20 yard throw to Fryfogle, and a 15 yard out route to Whop on the opposite hash. Just gives me concerns if he is the guy next year. 

Today was simple and we have two problems that need to be evaluated. One is Nick Sheridan who has been OK this year but nothing special. Today he was beyond atrocious against Ole Miss that can't do anything on D and all those bubble screens instead of taking more shots down field is inexcusable. I don't know if he needs to be fired but certainly evaluated and figure out if he can get better and more creative. 

Second is Jack Tuttle is a decent, but not great QB and if we want to go where we hope, we need either Penix to stay healthy or McCulley to be the QB we think he is coming in next yr and certainly the backup when Penix inevitably gets hurt. In another era Tuttle is totally fine and no worse than Richard Lagow, Ben Chappell or Blake Powers who were mediocre to decent Big Ten QB's. This was a case of the ratings missing a bit and he should be a low 3*. He is fine as a backup or a starter on another team, but he will not lead you to where you want to get ultimately. Ramsey is better but his career could be over and he is absolutely a starting QB on a high level program and with our situation you can't keep him as a backup to Penix or a primary guy. Very happy for what he has done at NW and no bitterness there. Just hoping McCulley is the answer and he should be as he is ranked higher than any QB we have ever had and first guy who is top 150 and borderline 5*.

Lastly, we can not blame committee or Big Ten now for slighting us and don't be surprised if we get passed over again next yr again and we will have no right to complain after NW took care of business against a better Auburn team and OSU trashing Clemson. Got to prove it and we didn't.

Great season and another step forward but some issues remain that need to addressed. 

5 minutes ago, Aaron said:

Today was simple and we have two problems that need to be evaluated. One is Nick Sheridan who has been OK this year but nothing special. Today he was beyond atrocious against Ole Miss that can't do anything on D and all those bubble screens instead of taking more shots down field is inexcusable. I don't know if he needs to be fired but certainly evaluated and figure out if he can get better and more creative. 

Second is Jack Tuttle is a decent, but not great QB and if we want to go where we hope we need either Penix to stay healthy or McCulley to be the QB we think he is coming in next yr and certainly the backup when Penix inevitably gets hurt. In another era Tuttle is totally fine and no worse than Richard Lagow, Ben Chappell or Blake Powers who were mediocre o decent Big Ten QB's. This was a case of the ratings missing a bit and he should be a low 3*. He is fine as a backup or a starter on another team, but he will not lead you to where you want to get ultimately. Ramsey is better but his career could be over and he is absolutely a starting QB on a high level program and with our situation you can't keep him as a backup to Penix or a primary guy. Very happy for what he has done at NW and no bitterness there. Just hoping McCulley is the answer and he should be as he is ranked higher than any QB we have ever had and first guy who is top 150 and borderline 5*.

Lastly, we can not blame committee or Big Ten now for slighting us and don't be surprised if we get passed over again next yr again and we will have no right to complain after NW took care of business against a better Auburn team and OSU trashing Clemson. Got to prove it and we didn't.

Great season and another step forward but some issues remain that need to addressed. 

I mean he would be calling bubble screens because Tuttle was so bad throwing it down the field. Not having the right players limits play calling.

That being said Sheridan was bad with how long it took him to start running the ball consistently 

“@ZachOsterman: Tom Allen confirms Jack Tuttle played through a shoulder separation. ”It definitely effected him. I thought he was a warrior today. He played through some serious pain.“ #iufb”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

Bad game great season

Need to learn from it and repeat the regular season.

We need to end the season with a ******* win in the postseason!!

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

I would change the first line to say     Bad game good season.  You can't call the season great when you lay an egg during "arguably" the second biggest game of the year.  Especially after you have been shouting for the last month, that you got robbed.

Apparently Tuttle has a separated shoulder which to me proves all the more what I said about Sheridan. Why are you not calling more runs up gut that were working if he is playing in that much pain makes me question play calling more?

Kudos to Tuttle for sticking it out, but I stand by what I said that he is a mediocre to decent Big Ten QB and doesn't get the ball down field enough or accurately. Not a bad player and better than many we have had but he is no Penix, Ramsey or Sudfeld and getting QB's on that level is what you need to really compete in Big Ten and he is one step below but makes a fine backup. 

Well the bright point about tonight, is that it is tonight.  (at least for me). I can go to bed now, and put this behind me; wake up tomorrow morning, and dream about "Next Year."  

Have a good night everyone.  Since I don't get on the BB side very much.  See many of you next fall.  

7 minutes ago, iubb said:

“@ZachOsterman: Tom Allen confirms Jack Tuttle played through a shoulder separation. ”It definitely effected him. I thought he was a warrior today. He played through some serious pain.“ #iufb”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That’s no joke. Played the second half with a separated shoulder in his second start.

Tuttle is an impressive leader.

9 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

That’s no joke. Played the second half with a separated shoulder in his second start.

Tuttle is an impressive leader.

And our coaching staff are full of morons for not utilizing the running game the entire last drive. Your QB has a separated  shoulder and you take the ball out of Stevie’s hands?

2 minutes ago, Aaron said:

Apparently Tuttle has a separated shoulder which to me proves all the more what I said about Sheridan. Why are you not calling more runs up gut that were working if he is playing in that much pain makes me question play calling more. Kudos to Tuttle for sticking it out but I stand by what I said that he is a mediocre to decent Big Ten QB and doesn't get the ball down field enough or accurately. Not a bad player and better than many we have had but he is no Penix, Ramsey or Sudfeld and getting QB's on that level is what you need to really compete in Big Ten and he is one step below but makes a fine backup. 

Disagree about Tuttle. I think it's too early to call him mediocre. He showed toughness today and, with more game time, I think he is capable of getting the job done. He took over a playbook that was designed around Penix. If he is the starter going into next year, the playbook will be designed to suit his skills. I just don't think we can judge Tuttle on what happened at the end of this year.

One other positive thought: A decade ago when I was in college and further back as a kid, we looked nothing like a Big Ten team with a defense that was tiny, thin and couldn't make plays and kickers and punters who had legs of 35-40 yards max. Now we have a team that looks like it has Big Ten athletes all over the field and kickers and punters with normal 50-55 yard range. I used to think outside of skill positions, I was watching a team playing in mud and not very good. Now we look like a Big Ten team in all aspects pretty much which is a huge step forward.  

Still have more steps to take, but at least the talent is closer on level with many fellow conference schools now and you feel like you are watching a Big Ten team rather than a MAC team. 

8 minutes ago, Aaron said:

One other positive thought: A decade ago when I was in college and further back as a kid, we looked nothing like a Big Ten team with a defense that was tiny, thin and couldn't make plays and kickers and punters who had legs of 35-40 yards max. Now we have a team that looks like it has Big Ten athletes all over the field and kickers and punters with normal 50-55 yard range. I used to think outside of skill positions, I was watching a team playing in mud and not very good. Now we look like a Big Ten team in all aspects pretty much which is a huge step forward.  

Still have more steps to take, but at least the talent is closer on level with many fellow conference schools now and you feel like you are watching a Big Ten team rather than a MAC team. 

Do you remember the late 90s kid?  No?  Better off that way!  

6 minutes ago, Naturalhoosier said:

Do you remember the late 90s kid?  No?  Better off that way!  

Oh I remember the 90's well. That's why I said a 'decade ago in college and further back as a kid'. I followed team closely since 96 when I was 10  and grew up in Bloomington and dad took me to a couple games a yr. Outside of Randle El, Williams and a couple receivers like Mercy Gadis and Jerry Dorsey we did not field a Big Ten level team. That's why I also said 'outside of skill positions'. 

That was a bad L and we all look incredibly stupid for how we acted before that game now, but that’s not on the players. I know if I was on that team, after that showing the off season would start tonight and I would be hitting the hotel weight room very soon. I hope this team has a similar mentality. A loss that painful has to provide a lot of motivation for the next 6 months. This team should start the next season as a hungrier, better, and more focused group.