Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

Favorite All-Time Hoosier Basketball Player

On 9/19/2021 at 10:13 AM, go iu bb said:

I'm the same age as you and Graham was my favorite player. Those early '90s teams are my favorite IU teams, although the 92-93 team is probably my favorite of them. They were so good before Henderson's injury.

I vaguely recall the run in '87. I don't remember any specifics, more just that I watched the tournament games and remember the excitement around the run.

This is one of those rare times when i actually like being older. 
:)

3 hours ago, yogisballin said:

It’s Calbert for me all day long and twice on Sunday. Was so smooth and like you say, looked so easy!

Really liked Guyton and Coverdale as well

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Yogi be like - but, but my name is in your handle!

Honestly it’s Yogi for me. The guy was our PG on our two most recent Sweet Sixteen teams. His stats and records are legit. He was a ton of fun to watch. And I just like the dude. 

Maybe my favorite recent moment in IU basketball is the 32 point run we put on Michigan in ‘15-‘16, with Yogi leading the way. Big Ten teams hated facing Yogi, the dude could play, and he produced for 4 years. How far back do you have to go to find an IU guard as good Yogi? Maybe EJ and Romeo, but both were 1 year wings on crappy teams that suffered from wrist injuries halfway through the season. (I love EJ and Romeo, btw). Coverdale is my guy, we were on the same soccer team as 6 year olds and graduated together. 2002 was incredible but still Cov didn’t produce like Yogi. 

Yogi’s teams have been the lone bright spot in the last two decades. The great players of the Knight era were basically during my childhood and I just don’t have memories of them the same way. 

6 minutes ago, Stromboli said:

Honestly it’s Yogi for me. The guy was our PG on our two most recent Sweet Sixteen teams. His stats and records are legit. He was a ton of fun to watch. And I just like the dude. 

Maybe my favorite recent moment in IU basketball is the 32 point run we put on Michigan in ‘15-‘16, with Yogi leading the way. Big Ten teams hated facing Yogi, the dude could play, and he produced for 4 years. How far back do you have to go to find an IU guard as good Yogi? Maybe EJ and Romeo, but both were 1 year wings on crappy teams that suffered from wrist injuries halfway through the season. (I love EJ and Romeo, btw). Coverdale is my guy, we were on the same soccer team as 6 year olds and graduated together. 2002 was incredible but still Cov didn’t produce like Yogi. 

Yogi’s teams have been the lone bright spot in the last two decades. The great players of the Knight era were basically during my childhood and I just don’t have memories of them the same way. 

The last time we had a point guard as good before senior Yogi was 1981 with Isiah. We had some as good as sophomore Yogi, but senior Yogi was special.

Cody Zeller. He's only a year older than me, played against him once in summer ball back when he was "only" 6-9 going into his Sophomore year at Washington. He turned Indiana from a 12 win team to a 27 win team. He was fun to watch. Super athletic and smart. Showed out against AD in Assembly Hall. Dunking on McGarys head after he tried talking smack, his big buckets to win the B1G AT Michigan. Dude was so much fun to watch and he seems so forgotten. 

2 hours ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Cody Zeller. He's only a year older than me, played against him once in summer ball back when he was "only" 6-9 going into his Sophomore year at Washington. He turned Indiana from a 12 win team to a 27 win team. He was fun to watch. Super athletic and smart. Showed out against AD in Assembly Hall. Dunking on McGarys head after he tried talking smack, his big buckets to win the B1G AT Michigan. Dude was so much fun to watch and he seems so forgotten. 

Also my favorite of new Age Hoosier.

He was an incredible college player and is an incredible person. 

On 9/16/2021 at 8:33 PM, Honkyman said:

Hardwood83: Appears I am the first to say Alford

________

I lived in Bloomington from 1978 through 1987, so I was able to watch 2 national championship teams ( '81 & '87) with regularity. What impressed me most about Alford--aside from his unbelievable shooting ability--was his maturity even as a freshman. He had great game judgment--better than almost any IU player since. I was a student from 1967-1971 so IU basketball was a mixed bag then. But Vernon Payne, who was All Conference, was as good a point guard as IU has ever had besides Isiah Thomas and Quinn Buckner. George McGinnis, who just played one year (1970-71) was the most talented player to put on an IU uniform. He was like LaBron James--a man among boys. That 1971 team's front line had three high school All Americans-- McGinnis, Steve Downing and Joby Wright. Too bad the coaching was so poor. Yes, even McGinnis acknowledges he would have benefited from a year playing under Bobby Knight.

Saw Alford go for 57 (25-25 FTs) against Broad Ripple in the Semi-State at Hinkle. Game still etched in my memory:)

Tough call. I think the best COLLEGE basketball player we ever had was Scott May. Note I qualify that with "college," not wanting to riddle anyone who might think I'm slighting Isaiah or a handful of others who belong in the conversation.

My favorite is a toss-up between Steve Alford and Calbert Cheaney. If the coin ever lands, I'll let you know which one won the toss.

Scott May was a great college basketball player as were Steve Alford and Calbert Cheaney. But George McGinnis, Isaiah Thomas and Walt Bellamy were in a class above all others among IU greats. McGinnis averaged 29.9 points and 14 rebounds a game--leading the Big Ten in both categories in the only season he played at IU. Bellamy averaged 20.6 points and 15.6 rebounds per game (as a senior he averaged 17.8 rebounds a game--still a team record). IU won the Big Ten both years Thomas started at point guard. IU's drive to the national championship didn't take off in 1981 until Bobby Knight allowed Thomas to be the coach on the floor. May was a great shooter and a good rebounder. But Quinn Buckner was the glue for that '76 championship team.

7 minutes ago, Honkyman said:

Scott May was a great college basketball player as were Steve Alford and Calbert Cheaney. But George McGinnis, Isaiah Thomas and Walt Bellamy were in a class above all others among IU greats. McGinnis averaged 29.9 points and 14 rebounds a game--leading the Big Ten in both categories in the only season he played at IU. Bellamy averaged 20.6 points and 15.6 rebounds per game (as a senior he averaged 17.8 rebounds a game--still a team record). IU won the Big Ten both years Thomas started at point guard. IU's drive to the national championship didn't take off in 1981 until Bobby Knight allowed Thomas to be the coach on the floor. May was a great shooter and a good rebounder. But Quinn Buckner was the glue for that '76 championship team.

Agree with everything you said. If I had to pick three all time greats, it would be those exact three. Agree on Buckner as well.

43 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

There was a four year IUBB player who was 61.5% for his career from three point territory on over 25 attempts.

Who is it ya smart guys?

Randy Whitman or Ted Kitchen. In 83 they implemented the 3 for that year and remember both of them hitting at a high rate