Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Sign in to follow this  
JaybobHoosier

Recreational Sports/Coaching

Does anyone still play any sports or do any coaching? I used to golf all the time and do slow pitch softball, both were a blast. In my early 20s, I worked at a golf course so I played 4-5 days a week and got pretty good. At one point I was a 5-handicap, and my best round was my most heartbreaking round is 2 over par. I was -6 going into the back nine and finished the 2 over par, and I even birdied the last hole......

My fun claim to fame with slow pitch softball was making a diving catch in the OF. It was pretty cool and a lot of people came over to me after the game congratulating me on that.

Overall, coaching baseball has been my favorite thing to do with sports after high school. I was fortunate to do that for almost 6 years before I decided to step away with the growing family and church obligations.

The players and parents had fun with a bet that I lost. My team was struggling to hit, so I made a bet with them that if they could score 13+ runs in our next game, then they could design my facial hair for the next game. Sure enough, they scored almost 20 and decided on the “bat-stache....” I have a picture of it somewhere, but everyone loved it and I looked ridiculous lol. The culture I established as a coach was one of family and hard work. I could go on and on about it.

Anyone else?

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

I coached rec soccer and basketball for several years. Had some really great kids that I was able to “coach” and loved those years. One of my favorite memories was taking a 3-5 team and winning the championship. We finally found our strength was defense and we taught them the triangle and 2. As the playoffs started we had been experimenting with it but not enough to tip our hand. In the playoffs we would wait till half time to switch and teams had no idea what hit them.

In the championship we played a team with several former HS players and a former HS coach. After we made the switch our 2 started completely denying their best 2 players the ball. Full court. It was beautiful and so much fun. We knew if we were within a few points at half we had a chance.

So many great memories and experiences. I am glad someone encouraged me to coach my kids. If you get the chance don’t hesitate. The first game I coached I overheard 2 kids talking about how they wished the other kids dad was coaching. Ouch and probably true as I did not know soccer. But I went on to coach that kid for 4 years all the way up to travel.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

I coached rec soccer and basketball for several years. Had some really great kids that I was able to “coach” and loved those years. One of my favorite memories was taking a 3-5 team and winning the championship. We finally found our strength was defense and we taught them the triangle and 2. As the playoffs started we had been experimenting with it but not enough to tip our hand. In the playoffs we would wait till half time to switch and teams had no idea what hit them.

In the championship we played a team with several former HS players and a former HS coach. After we made the switch our 2 started completely denying their best 2 players the ball. Full court. It was beautiful and so much fun. We knew if we were within a few points at half we had a chance.

So many great memories and experiences. I am glad someone encouraged me to coach my kids. If you get the chance don’t hesitate. The first game I coached I overheard 2 kids talking about how they wished the other kids dad was coaching. Ouch and probably true as I did not know soccer. But I went on to coach that kid for 4 years all the way up to travel.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

I will definitely coach my kids in baseball, and help with basketball if possible, but with baseball I may wait until they get to 8. Just don’t know if I want to coach tee-ball, I already struggle with patience with my two boys lol.
I miss coaching baseball so much, and I bump into some of the parents out shopping from time to time. Makes me really happy when they talk about loving the team and their boys having the best baseball experience over any other.

After many injuries had to give up slow pitch played for years. The last coaching I did was at Ivy Tech Terre Haute campus. Was a blast played the other Techs travel bball teams, Rose Hulman and a team from Chicago. Really miss doing that 

What position(s) did you play in slow pitch? When I played I was the young guy so I patrolled left-center field. Speed was my best friend playing against older guys lol. I was a lefty so always got played to pull. I was always a really good contact hitter so to keep them honest I would slap one right over 3B for a single. Once they started playing straight up I played to pull.

Right side of infield had a noodle for an arm. Finished up catching where old guys go to die lol. Had lot of great times . My last three yrs broken wrist twice and a lost tooth figured it was time to hang them up

Oh goodness, hate to hear about the injuries. I blew out my pitching arm in high school so I had to give that up during Juco, but still played through a little pain with slow pitch. My final year playing we were by far the best team, completely running the table...... then fell a part in the championship. Everyone was making errors and couldn’t get quality hits.

I was supposed to play in a Thanksgiving tournament over the weekend to raise money for my old elementary school back home, but stupid Covid crap got in the way. I was safe, but our jobs and daycare said we had to quarantine for some long if we did any family gatherings so we didn’t go.

I also played a ton of softball and golf. I gave up softball about 7-8 years ago and I had to give it up as it was taking way too much time. Placed 8th in the World Series in 2011 and placed 7th in the super World Series in Las Vegas in 2010 with Sports Reach. I mainly played 3B with a little bit of 2B. Also with my 2 boys after all of the softball I coached a travel baseball teams and that I absolutely loved! Seeing each kid grow year after year.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

I also played a ton of softball and golf. I gave up softball about 7-8 years ago and I had to give it up as it was taking way too much time. Placed 8th in the World Series in 2011 and placed 7th in the super World Series in Las Vegas in 2010 with Sports Reach. I mainly played 3B with a little bit of 2B. Also with my 2 boys after all of the softball I coached a travel baseball teams and that I absolutely loved! Seeing each kid grow year after year.

We didn’t get to do any travel ball, which worked out because none of the families had interest. We played in two leagues and did several tournaments in the Spring/Summer and then the same for the fall. Only thing that stunk was I could never get enough of the families that would want to do an out-of-town tournament. We had Branson a couple hours away or Nashville 4 hours away but could never get them to do it.

Don’t play much anymore but I’ve played on squadron and base teams for softball, volleyball, golf (won a base championship and never lost an intramural match), flag football, basketball, soccer, and ultimate frisbee. Traveled to several different tournaments around Korea for volleyball and loved the softball tourneys.

We didn’t get to do any travel ball, which worked out because none of the families had interest. We played in two leagues and did several tournaments in the Spring/Summer and then the same for the fall. Only thing that stunk was I could never get enough of the families that would want to do an out-of-town tournament. We had Branson a couple hours away or Nashville 4 hours away but could never get them to do it.

Oh that stinks. Travel and out of town tournaments are the best. This year my daughter’s team went down to Disney in January for a big tournament but that does not look promising

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

Yeah we dealt with a lot of that this year.