Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

IUBB vs Butler - 12/19/20 Crossroads Classic @ 11:30 a.m. ET

16 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

Butler is in the mold of Wiscy with the "tough until they're not."  They grab, hack and hold and force they're style onto the refs.  When a player gets near them they flop like Shaq just drop kicked them.  You would like officials would see this while prepping for games but then completely ignore it.  I thought it was kind of hilarious to watch Coles continue to throw his shoulder into Thompson even after he had plenty of room for an easy layup.  One of 65,478 that could have been called.

Even in COVID, refs don't prep for games. They're busy catching a red eye from an airport with 6 inches of snow on the ground. It'd be nice if the NCAA or conferences required a full day rest from traveling between jobs that require travel.

1 minute ago, LIHoosier said:

Even in COVID, refs don't prep for games. They're busy catching a red eye from an airport with 6 inches of snow on the ground to prepare. It'd be nice if the NCAA or conferences required a full day rest from traveling between jobs that require travel.

Honestly think that every metro area should just have a local association of refs. With coaches being responsible for picking a crew.  

That way coaches could prepare for refs and refs would want to not screw over a coach so as to not get burned and never used again. 

1 minute ago, Brass Cannon said:

Honestly think that every metro area should just have a local association of refs. With coaches being responsible for picking a crew.  

That way coaches could prepare for refs and refs would want to not screw over a coach so as to not get burned and never used again. 

I like your thought but I'm sure younger refs that even ponder screwing over the likes of K, Izzo, Roy, Self, Teflon John, etc., don't get a second look. The rich will still get richer.

Also in conference play with every team playing over a weekend, the same favored refs will still be requested and whoever gets them on Sunday will get tired weary guys making worse calls than they did on Saturday.

But you can choose only focus on the negative ("if Franklin hadn't been hot from 3-point range") and spin it back the other way and say the only reason Butler led at half was because they were 5 of 7 from three point range.

Butler--an inferior team in terms of talent--completely outplayed IU in the first half.  That is not focusing on the negative, it is calling it like it is. And, that's two games in a row in which we were outplayed, out-hustled in the first half. Franklin got hot in the first half but turned it over 5 times in the game. Phinisee scored just 3 points. When he is going to become a complete player? Trey Galloway didn't score but he played smart and ended with five assists. Race Thompson finally came alive in the second half. TJD played a good game but the team doesn't get him the ball enough.  I stand by my conclusion that the team needs to play significantly better or we are headed for an 8th place finish.

12 minutes ago, LIHoosier said:

I like your thought but I'm sure younger refs that even ponder screwing over the likes of K, Izzo, Roy, Self, Teflon John, etc., don't get a second look. The rich will still get richer.

Also in conference play with every team playing over a weekend, the same favored refs will still be requested and whoever gets them on Sunday will get tired weary guys making worse calls than they did on Saturday.

The refs wouldn’t be required to work multiple games.  Even in a big city like Chicago how many college games go on over the course of a weekend?  

26 minutes ago, Honkyman said:

But you can choose only focus on the negative ("if Franklin hadn't been hot from 3-point range") and spin it back the other way and say the only reason Butler led at half was because they were 5 of 7 from three point range.

Butler--an inferior team in terms of talent--completely outplayed IU in the first half.  That is not focusing on the negative, it is calling it like it is. And, that's two games in a row in which we were outplayed, out-hustled in the first half. Franklin got hot in the first half but turned it over 5 times in the game. Phinisee scored just 3 points. When he is going to become a complete player? Trey Galloway didn't score but he played smart and ended with five assists. Race Thompson finally came alive in the second half. TJD played a good game but the team doesn't get him the ball enough.  I stand by my conclusion that the team needs to play significantly better or we are headed for an 8th place finish.

The only positive thing you said about IU in the post I referred to was that Franklin got hot from three, which was written along the lines of “we would have lost if Franklin didn’t get hot from 3”.    All I did was post some other positives.  Not sure why that would upset you.

Not sure why that would upset you.

Stating a contrary opinion is not getting "upset." This is an opinion board which by definition means posters will post contrary opinions. I respect your opinion and it doesn't upset me though I may disagree.

Separate not but Crosstown Classic related:  ND went 16 of 41 from three against Purdue and Purdue went 14 of 28. 30 of 69 between them.

while IU and Butler played more in the perimeter,  we still combined with them to go 16 of 35 from deep.  Four teams going 46 for 105 from deep in two games (44%) is pretty good shooting (and bad defense).

Just now had a chance to watch the game. I hate to call out a kid but Hunter has been a disappointment thus far for me. We needed him to step up this year in a big way and it’s just not there. Anyone notice him go to the bench and pout in the 1st half and go sit by himself? Right around the 10 minute mark.

I know I’m going to get blasted for this but. Is it time to look to give Geronimo, Hunters minutes?

Lastly, We need a PG so bad!

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Just now had a chance to watch the game. I hate to call out a kid but Hunter has been a disappointment thus far for me. We needed him to step up this year in a big way and it’s just not there. Anyone notice him go to the bench and pout in the 1st half and go sit by himself? Right around the 10 minute mark.

I know I’m going to get blasted for this but. Is it time to look to give Geronimo, Hunters minutes?

Lastly, We need a PG so bad!

I wouldn’t blast you for the Geronimo idea. I wouldn’t give all the minutes, but enough for Jerome to get the idea. He just doesn’t seem hungry on the court. The only thing is the length Hunter has on Geronimo but once the freshman learns how to wield his athleticism at this speed that won’t really matter.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

57 minutes ago, HinnyHoosier said:

I wouldn’t blast you for the Geronimo idea. I wouldn’t give all the minutes, but enough for Jerome to get the idea. He just doesn’t seem hungry on the court. The only thing is the length Hunter has on Geronimo but once the freshman learns how to wield his athleticism at this speed that won’t really matter.

I would say the "only" thing is actually Hunter's ability to shoot the 3. 

I'm disappointed in him to date too. I honestly expected him to be a starter this season and break-out to avg 11-12pts maybe 5 reb and be a solid contributor. He definitely seems to be missing something though. I haven't quite given up on him yet. Clearly his leg issue was a big set-back and he is early in his Soph season, but now is the time for him to grab an opportunity. IU is razor thin in the front-court. 

Re: Hunter
It looks like he’s just happy to be out there. Given the circumstances, I can’t really blame him. However, a fire needs to be lit under his backside. None of that tapping your chest and “my bad.” Get to work, we’ve seen you play great in stretches. Step up and make that the norm!

Re: Hunter
It looks like he’s just happy to be out there. Given the circumstances, I can’t really blame him. However, a fire needs to be lit under his backside. None of that tapping your chest and “my bad.” Get to work, we’ve seen you play great in stretches. Step up and make that the norm!

I think his leg injury could still be affecting him mentally. But I've been wrong before

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

We could speculate all day on Jerome, but this team needs him to make the leap and I really want to see him succeed in this program. I hope he keeps his head up and continues to work. Contribute in all the little areas and the rest will take care of itself. Go IU...fight...fight...fight!

We could speculate all day on Jerome, but this team needs him to make the leap and I really want to see him succeed in this program. I hope he keeps his head up and continues to work. Contribute in all the little areas and the rest will take care of itself. Go IU...fight...fight...fight!

I am with you 110%. I hope he keeps his head up and really works hard to get better. I’m not ready to give up on him!