Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

IUBB vs Butler - 12/19/20 Crossroads Classic @ 11:30 a.m. ET

4 minutes ago, Honkyman said:

Winning by 8 points over a mediocre Butler team playing without their best player is no great accomplishment. We were out-rebounded, only shot 55% from the free-throw line, and turned the ball over 15 times. If Franklin hadn't been hot from 3-point range in the first half, IU probably would have lost. Lots of work to do if IU is going to finish above 8th place in the conference.

This team needs Franklin more than I ever thought would be possible. Al and Rob just don’t have what it takes to bring consistent effort and skill. Today was a tough game and I love the way they came out in the second half. If this team is going to be successful the guard play has to improve dramatically outside of Franklin. I’d like to see less Rob/Al and more Lander/Trey. Ask these guys to probe and dish and take open looks when provided. When Al/Rob try to run the floor, create or take jump shots nothing good comes of it. 

Come on Jaybob, get that MVP thread going!  That will be an interesting vote.  So glad to have a couple options after a game

Sorry, I wasn’t able to watch the game so had to go by the box score. We had to finish up Christmas shopping at cane at the expense of the IU game...... :(

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Winning by 8 points over a mediocre Butler team playing without their best player is no great accomplishment. We were out-rebounded, only shot 55% from the free-throw line, and turned the ball over 15 times. If Franklin hadn't been hot from 3-point range in the first half, IU probably would have lost. Lots of work to do if IU is going to finish above 8th place in the conference.

Spread was -8.5.....just saying.

Sent from my SM-G981U using BtownBanners mobile app

Somewhat sloppy in the first I’d agree; however, I’d like to offer a different perspective. Turnovers were padded by some questionable offensive fouls and an uncommon amount of travel calls. Otherwise, manageable numbers. The low team free throw percentage hides an important point. The guy who attempts the most charity shots on the team by a wide margin, shot 70%. That matters.

Rebounding can and will be a problem for this squad going forward, better defense and well contested shots can sometimes unfairly skew rebound statistics with the increase in opportunity. In the end I’m encouraged and agree with what Stuhoo said. Archie has a team that he can rip into at halftime and get a positive response. I’m less concerned with margin of victory in a rivalry game.

The story early in the season for me is the emergence of Franklin and the play of Galloway. Trey seems to be growing at a shocking rate right now. I'm still waiting for Hunter to get there, but am not giving up on him. The rest are about where I thought they would be. Butler is never a walk in the park and they always compete no matter how out manned they seem to be. This was a good win in spite of what some seem to think.

14 minutes ago, Treesh said:

Didn’t get to watch the game, we had our own game this morning.

I see the initial thoughts so far. Short rotation today from Archie. No Lander really? 

I’ll take the win! 

A little bit of Lander in the first half but he did not look good at all. Lost on defense. 

Al Durham knows, clanking 4 straight freebies at the end....

Pointing out to the negative people that saying we should have won by more. The spread is a good indicator of how much we should win by and we hit around the mark.

Sent from my SM-G981U using BtownBanners mobile app

1 hour ago, Honkyman said:

Don't think anyone called it a great accomplishment.  But you can choose only focus on the negative ("if Franklin hadn't been hot from 3-point range") and spin it back the other way and say the only reason Butler led at half was because they were 5 of 7 from three point range.

The positives:  19 assists on 25 baskets shows this team isn't one that just plays hero ball;  we outshot them from the field 53% to 39%.

My bottom line is we played a group of five teams on the road or neutral court in Providence, Texas, Stanford, Florida State, and Butler and won three.  KenPom has our current SOS at 42;  with the Big Ten schedule it will end up top ten.

Again. Love watching IUBB. Minutes 5-20 were bad and Butler seemed to hit a lot of shots. Luckily I was behind recording and was able anger through that stretch 30 seconds at a time thanks to DVR.

However, My opinion on this team is unchanged.

Behind Iowa, Wisconsin, MSU, Illinois.

Might be able to compete in this bunch, OSU, Rutgers, Michigan.

I see this as a 5-9 place big ten finish.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

9 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Again. Love watching IUBB. Minutes 5-20 were bad and Butler seemed to hit a lot of shots. Luckily I was behind recording and was able anger through that stretch 30 seconds at a time thanks to DVR.

However, My opinion on this team is unchanged.

Behind Iowa, Wisconsin, MSU, Illinois.

Might be able to compete in this bunch, OSU, Rutgers, Michigan.

I see this as a 5-9 place big ten finish.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

I see realistically in about the same range. Injuries and COVID issues could scramble that somewhat. If the defense and effort are consistent, I can live with the results.