Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

IUBB vs Butler - 12/19/20 Crossroads Classic @ 11:30 a.m. ET

Game is still on as far as we know.   From InsideThe Hall --  Archie Miller said IU's players are tested for COVID-19 every day between 7:30 and 8 a.m. Says the players have been diligent about their actions off the floor. "It's taxing, mentally," Miller says.

Game will be televised on FS1.

Radio #1

Radio #2

Live Stats

Playing for the most wins all time in the Classic this weekend!

I get a bit irked that Butler gets painted as the biscuits and gravy eating, playing on a hoop off the back of the barn, all Indiana team. It is private school in the middle of one of the largest cities in the US, whose in state population is about 50% (IU's is 68%, which seems high but that is what my source said). Plus, they are famous for losing two championships , while having the gall to criticize about how IU harps on championships that was won decades ago. YOU DIDN'T WIN ANY! They had an incredible run with an incredible coach a decade ago. They didn't invent the game of basketball.*

GO IU! 

*mostly said tongue in cheek....mostly

Edited by Chips&Dipo

19 minutes ago, Chips&Dipo said:

I get a bit irked that Butler gets painted as the biscuits and gravy eating, playing on a hoop off the back of the barn, all Indiana team. It is private school in the middle of one of the largest cities in the US, whose in state population is about 50% (IU's is 68%, which seems high but that is what my source said). Plus, they are famous for losing two championships , while having the gault to talk about how IU harps on championships that was won decades ago. YOU DIDN'T WIN ANY! They had an incredible run with an incredible coach a decade ago. They didn't invent the game of basketball.*

GO IU! 

And currently with one player from the State of Indiana. Lol

31 minutes ago, Chips&Dipo said:

I get a bit irked that Butler gets painted as the biscuits and gravy eating, playing on a hoop off the back of the barn, all Indiana team. It is private school in the middle of one of the largest cities in the US, whose in state population is about 50% (IU's is 68%, which seems high but that is what my source said). Plus, they are famous for losing two championships , while having the gault to talk about how IU harps on championships that was won decades ago. YOU DIDN'T WIN ANY! They had an incredible run with an incredible coach a decade ago. They didn't invent the game of basketball.*

GO IU! 

Butler’s fan base has become one of my least favorite. Super snobby people who act like Butler is all that when in reality it’s just a private school with a 68% acceptance rate. It’s not Harvard, or even notre dame. 

From Archie this morning possibly laying the groundwork to end the event after 2021? 

Archie Miller says IU is committed to Crossroads Classic through at least the end of the current deal next year. Says it could be tougher to pull off going forward with more leagues going to 20-game schedules.

4 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

From Archie this morning possibly laying the groundwork to end the event after 2021? 

Archie Miller says IU is committed to Crossroads Classic through at least the end of the current deal next year. Says it could be tougher to pull off going forward with more leagues going to 20-game schedules.

THANK GOODNESS

30 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

What really got me with Butler fans was all the fake outrage and disbelief when Cody Zeller picked us. They were shocked he would pick us over them. At that point, they claimed there was no reason for them to ever lose a recruit to IU. 

At that exact time, they were coming off back to back title game runs. So I'm sure their confidence was pretty high. 

30 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Butler guard Aaron Thompson has been diagnosed with a sprained ligament in his right knee, and is questionable for their game against Indiana on Saturday. Was averaging 17.5 points and 5.0 assists through two games.

Hope the young man makes a full recovery, but we need wins. A win against a “namebrand“ team without their leading score is a win nonetheless.

1 hour ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

THANK GOODNESS

Have to agree-  the CC doesn't move the needle much for me. Butler had a nice run, but unless you are a hardcore BB junkie or live in the Indy area you don't know or care about them.  It's no win for IU,  of course the Hoosiers should beat the the perennial underdog. Lose and you look like schmucks losing to a glorified Community College. 

IU can catch ND in the ACC-B1G classic or sign them to a home & home. 

1 hour ago, TheWatShot said:

What really got me with Butler fans was all the fake outrage and disbelief when Cody Zeller picked us. They were shocked he would pick us over them. At that point, they claimed there was no reason for them to ever lose a recruit to IU. 

Gordon Hayward just fractured his finger after signing a max deal with the Hornets.  Dude is a grifter.....big deal in Boston, hurts his leg in the first game.......signs a $120 million dollar deal, out with a pinky contusion.

That's the epitome of Butler students, IMO.  Trust fund babies who break down when they have to do actual work.  :)

1 minute ago, Hardwood83 said:

Have to agree-  the CC doesn't move the needle much for me. Butler had a nice run, but unless you are a hardcore BB junkie or live in the Indy area you don't know or care about them.  It's no win for IU,  of course the Hoosiers should beat the the perennial underdog. Lose and you look like schmucks losing to a glorified Community College. 

IU can catch ND in the ACC-B1G classic or sign them to a home & home. 

At the minimum, it has given us the opportunity of getting a neutral court win against a power conference team.  But those types of things can happen when you play in things like the Maui invitational. 

That said, this is a big game for IU as a loss drops them to 4-3 prior to the Big Ten season.  A wins us at 5-2 and it's really not that bad of a 5-2 as it would have featured five quality opponents.

35 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

It depends on what replaces it.  If we end up replacing it with a directional program then it's not a win.  If we end up playing in a Champions Classic or CBS whatever then it's a win.

Absolutely. The only way IU should ditch the Crossroads Classic is for the CBS Sports Classic. They would get to play UCLA, UNC or UK every year. That’d be a good thing

1 hour ago, brumdog45 said:

At the minimum, it has given us the opportunity of getting a neutral court win against a power conference team.  But those types of things can happen when you play in things like the Maui invitational. 

That said, this is a big game for IU as a loss drops them to 4-3 prior to the Big Ten season.  A wins us at 5-2 and it's really not that bad of a 5-2 as it would have featured five quality opponents.

Yup -- this would be a big win. 3-2 vs P5 opponents + 2-0 vs cupcakes is a good place to be heading into B1G play.

It'd be that much better if we could get Joey Brunk on board to bang with B1G size.

2 minutes ago, Hoosier Guy said:

I’ve never liked Butler. Their fans think IU is some scrub program. Yo, IU was there way before Butler was on the map

Butler didn’t have fans outside of Fischers or Carmel until Bob Knight left IU.  Not wrong to remind them of that every now and again.