Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stuhoo

Parker or Aminu: If You Had to Pick One?

We are awaiting a likely December decision from two 6'5" SGs:

1. 18 year old five star bulldog scorer Aminu Mohammed, or
  2. Grad transfer locker room leader catch and shoot jump shooter Parker Stewart.

After this season Stewart would have two years eligibility and Mohammed would have four, but let's assume we'd have either of them for the rest of this season and next season.

Here's the riddle--If IUBB was going to only add one of these two players, who would you prefer and why?

14 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

My answer:

Either would be ducky, but Parker Stewart contributes extra-high character guaranteed, and is as close as we could ever hope to find to a perfect role fill as a shooter. I'd want him first and foremost.

I'm with you. As I just stated in the Mohammed thread, not a fan of the "one & done". Maybe I'm misreading it, but that is the vibe I'm getting from Aminu. Nothing wrong with that for him, but I'm much more interested in IU's team success over the individuals. Give me a more mature, experienced even if less talented kid that wants to win games- for 2 years, over someone else for one year that is looking to showcase his talents for the league. 

Stewart because he knows what D1 basketball is about.  He may not be as athletically gifted but I think he provides more of what we need and that is outside shooting.  Aminu puts up gaudy numbers but a lot of his points come in the paint and I'm not certain just how good he is as a jump shot shooter.  That's not to say I wouldn't take his commitment in a heartbeat but I think Stewart can give us more help with our immediate need and I also like the prospect of having Stewart for 2 years vs. likely just a single year with Aminu.

I think it depends on how our shooting develops as the year goes on.  If we struggle more than not from 3 I would prefer Parker to get a boost in that area,  however if the team can consistently shoot the way it did yesterday I would prefer Aminu because the floor would be better stretched and driving lanes would be open for his athleticism and ability to get to the rim. 

I want both but I am a greedy bastard.  We would be lucky to get either.  Stewart for this team, this year because he is just a better shooter.  I think Aminu will score, and play fantastic defense out of the gate.  But he will surely benefit from having shooters around him and not an All American big in the lane.

Aminu without question.   

He’s a winner.  He does a little of everything.  He has tremendous motor and athleticism.  He can shoot it. He has the body to play in the B1G.  

Stewart, appears to be a solid player.  He’s being billed as a fantastic shooter.  I’m not sure I agree based on FG% and level of play.  

Aminu has the athleticism to be an absolute pest on defense.  Stewart not as much. 

Aminu

22 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Aminu without question.   

He’s a winner.  He does a little of everything.  He has tremendous motor and athleticism.  He can shoot it. He has the body to play in the B1G.  

Stewart, appears to be a solid player.  He’s being billed as a fantastic shooter.  I’m not sure I agree based on FG% and level of play.  

Aminu has the athleticism to be an absolute pest on defense.  Stewart not as much. 

Aminu

Agreed without question on Aminu’s athleticism and defensive potential.

But let me ask you this: if Parker Stewart was at Greenwood Prep in low division Missouri hs ball, what do you think his numbers would be?

I looked it up: 27.6 ppg and 7.0 rebounds per game in hs...Against better competition than Aminu. And he was a big time winner against decent hs competition.

15 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Aminu without question.   

Aminu

Stewart did shoot about 38% from 3 in the ACC.  I wouldn't call him a great shooter by any stretch but his numbers last year, while lower than his ACC numbers, would've been 3rd on the team.  Which granted, being one of the better shooters on our team is like being one of the smarter students at pUKe.

Stewart did shoot about 38% from 3 in the ACC.  I wouldn't call him a great shooter by any stretch but his numbers last year, while lower than his ACC numbers, would've been 3rd on the team.  Which granted, being one of the better shooters on our team is like being one of the smarter students at pUKe.

But that’s his strength. He is a capable 3 point shooter. Not some deadeye wunderkind. Anyway, Indiana can use some capable 3 point shooters, so I wouldn’t be upset.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

2 hours ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Aminu without question.   

Aminu

100%

We need the most talented players we can get because we can't win any other way currently.  

Archie needs Aminu because he needs to "put players into the nba".  Right now he doesn't have that reputation.

Stewart because it looks like we're not getting Aminu and fans inherently say they're happier with the ones they got lol

In the absence of character or chemistry concerns I’m gonna take talent every single time. I think Stewart is a really useful piece and would be happy to have him. But the talent here isn’t comparable. 

I like Parker's numbers, but I have to say I'm a little concerned that with him averaging 19 ppg at Tenn-Martin alongside another player scoring 20 ppg still resulting in Tenn-Martin going 9-20 against a pretty weak slate of teams.  His freshman year at Pitt was also a historically bad Pitt team.

Question is if he would be able to look better with better talent around him or if his numbers were simply a result of his teams having to rely so heavily on him and making his playing time at Pitt as a freshman and his scoring at Tenn-Martin inflated.  Have to say I'm not in love with his 3+ turnovers/game at Tenn-Martin.

Agreed without question on Aminu’s athleticism and defensive potential.
But let me ask you this: if Parker Stewart was at Greenwood Prep in low division Missouri hs ball, what do you think his numbers would be?
I looked it up: 27.6 ppg and 7.0 rebounds per game in hs...Against better competition than Aminu. And he was a big time winner against decent hs competition.

Aminu has been successful everywhere including with Boo Williams playing against the best in the country. The low division Missouri slam doesn’t hold up.

I don’t know if he’s the best fit chemistry wise, but any knock against Aminu right now not being a Hoosier is justifying another recruiting miss, imo.

I do agree, that Stewart is a better shooter from 3 than Aminu right now but I think that’s his only advantage.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

Aminu. 
IU and Miller need a recruiting win badly.
Miller needs some wins period or he may be on the way out himself.

I think Aminu is more important, but this team does need shooters. IU is starting to lose some recruiting steam from lack of results on the court, so I expect ‘21 to be overall underwhelming (even though Lander was ‘21). If we have a good season then recruiting will pick back up.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app