Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

IUBB vs North Alabama - 12/13/20 @ Noon on BTN

32 minutes ago, woodenshoemanHoosierfan said:

It certainly a lot better than the first 5 games, but you be you

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Are Petty insults and bragging about 40% shooting really what the Archie supporters are reduced to?  

Being better than hot garbage against a terrible team shouldn’t be viewed as an accomplishment.  

This exactly why we haven’t been a relevant program for so long. 

Had to watch the game on DVR, but felt overall was a good game. Some key takeaways:

- Even though our offense stunk for the majority of the first half along with our guards, the defense NEVER let up. Around the 5 minute mark when it was mostly newbies or walk-ons, North Alabama was only at 40 or 42 points! Thats amazing.

- Once a few shots went in the teams confidence rose to another level. While we probably won’t shoot like that the majority of the time from deep, it was very beneficial to get their confidence up.

- We need our veterans and key players to stay out of foul trouble. Duh, I know, but with a very short bench of experience players, we need our starters to stay out of foul trouble.

- I felt this game is exactly how this season will unfold. Iffy offense, but the 1st and 2nd halves are foreshadowing this team. Once they get settled in, this team will be a good one down the stretch. I like where this team is heading!

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

10 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

You be you is a petty insult?  Do you really feel insulted by someone telling you to do you?!

40% from deep would land us in the top 33 in that category, in the nation!  That is fan-*******-tastic.  If we consistently shot 40% from deep the majority of fans on this site would be shitting their collective pants because we'd be a top 20 offense to go along with a top 20 defense.  We'd be talking about if this were the year we were going to finally make it past the sweet 16. 

Being happy we shot 40% has nothing to do with why we haven't been a relevant program for so long.

Turn your frown upside down and smoke a big fatty.  There are many other things in this world to be sad about but IU shooting 40% from deep isn't one of them, even against a terrible team.

If we can keep shooting 40% that’s awesome. But if that’s our ceiling then that’s still not good. 

The fanbase turning themselves into knots to make a big deal about 40% shooting against a bad team. Turning the mediocre into the fantastic is why this program is a joke. Rather demand excellence we trick ourselves into believing mediocre efforts are amazing. 

As Waynefleek said this game isn’t anything bad but didn’t answer anything. People desperately clutching to it as some sign that we’ve figured something out are living in a different reality 

You be you is a petty insult?  Do you really feel insulted by someone telling you to do you?!
40% from deep would land us in the top 33 in that category, in the nation!  That is fan-*******-tastic.  If we consistently shot 40% from deep the majority of fans on this site would be shitting their collective pants because we'd be a top 20 offense to go along with a top 20 defense.  We'd be talking about if this were the year we were going to finally make it past the sweet 16. 
Being happy we shot 40% has nothing to do with why we haven't been a relevant program for so long.
Turn your frown upside down and smoke a big fatty.  There are many other things in this world to be sad about but IU shooting 40% from deep isn't one of them, even against a terrible team.

Encouraging no doubt. That said though, this isn’t a 40% three point shooting team. It’s sub 30. Now I love that the kids got this game to build confidence and have no problem with attempting 27 shots from distance. They used it to break the zone. However, from here forward, I would strongly suggest limiting attempts to under 18.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

4 hours ago, Treesh said:

If you haven’t figured out why Hunter doesn’t get “enough” minutes.. it starts with D. 

It starts with D.  It’s followed by coughing up the ball and playing with little effort.  

The minutes he has been getting should go to Leal.  (Although I think Trey should get all the minutes he can handle first).  How about the offensive rebound Leal got off the free throw on the opposite side of the basket.  Pure Effort.  That’s more than I’ve seen from Hunter since he’s been here.  Hopefully Brunk can come back at some point and we never see Hunter.

Before someone says we need his size as opposed to Leal he doesn’t play to that size so that argument holds no water.

I think I saw North Alabama’s little #0 eyes light up from my couch when he got matched up with Hunter.  Got him for two EASY buckets in the first half and 2 more in the second half.  Meanwhile, in the last 30 seconds Geronimo stood up his man and absolutely refused to be scored on.

I hope Hunter can improve but we are getting to the point on the schedule where his minutes should be reduced drastically.  He simply can’t play at this level right now.

10 minutes ago, cappymo14 said:

One of those two had seven rebounds today. I assure you, when conference play begins, this is where value will be assessed.

If you want to talk stats before today he had 11 rebounds in 5 games.  He had 7 rebounds in 20+ minutes with several of those coming late in garbage time in a 35 point game.  He also got scored on at will.  
My point is I believe we are a better team without him on the floor.  I believe we have better options even more so if Brunk is able to come back at some point.

My boyfriend who knows little about basketball that I make watch at one point asked me why isn’t #21 playing hard.

If you want to talk stats before today he had 11 rebounds in 5 games.  He had 7 rebounds in 20+ minutes with several of those coming late in garbage time in a 35 point game.  He also got scored on at will.   My point is I believe we are a better team without him on the floor.  I believe we have better options even more so if Brunk is able to come back at some point.

My boyfriend who knows little about basketball that I make watch at one point asked me why isn’t #21 playing hard.

Oh I’m not trying to argue, I’m just telling you what’s going to happen and why. And that nobody on this team today got scored on at will.

Edit: 6 of 7 Jerome Hunter rebounds came in the first half, apparently redefining the meaning of “garbage time”.

Are Petty insults and bragging about 40% shooting really what the Archie supporters are reduced to?  

Being better than hot garbage against a terrible team shouldn’t be viewed as an accomplishment.  

Lol. Today's 3 pt shooting was above average of the national average. As I said this is more than likely an outlier. What exactly do you want the percentage to be?

9d42338a0de08b5079d1dc327a67174c.jpg

4 hours ago, woodenshoemanHoosierfan said:

I realize what they shot today was more than likely an outlier, but, wow, some of you can't even enjoy 1 game where they played well and knocked down their shouts

4 hours ago, Brass Cannon said:

Eh 40% from 3 is nothing to complain about but also not much to brag about. 

2 hours ago, woodenshoemanHoosierfan said:

It certainly a lot better than the first 5 games, but you be you

2 hours ago, Brass Cannon said:

1 hour ago, Brass Cannon said:

If we can keep shooting 40% that’s awesome. But if that’s our ceiling then that’s still not good. 

The fanbase turning themselves into knots to make a big deal about 40% shooting against a bad team. Turning the mediocre into the fantastic is why this program is a joke. Rather demand excellence we trick ourselves into believing mediocre efforts are amazing. 

As Waynefleek said this game isn’t anything bad but didn’t answer anything. People desperately clutching to it as some sign that we’ve figured something out are living in a different reality 

Where in the **** is he or anyone "turning themselves into knots" or "turn the mediocre into the fantastic."  He specifically stated that it was probably an outlier but thought it should be noted that they shot well from deep.  Again, that has abso-*******-lutely nothing to do why this program is a joke.  Also, 40% shooting from deep is nothing to sneeze at, especially with this team.  Could it possibly be that this increases the confidence of a few players and we see increased shooting percentages from a few guards?  Is that too much hype for you?  Maybe Armaan found something, in a game, where the 5-7 boosts his confidence and he actually becomes capable of knocking down an open three, which he's been unable to do over the previous 5 games. 

Relax a bit, enjoy our guards hitting some shots that they haven't been able to do even while wide open in previous games.  When you're more select about your bitching and whining of why the program is horseshit it makes it way more effective.  When you can't appreciate a solid shooting effort from guards who have struggled mightily from deep you start slipping into the LCS level of bitching just to *****.  It's not a good look.  That's not petty or bragging.  That's my perspective and I know you CAN be a more neutral poster than that.

And I never once said this would continue. I haven't been happy with our shooting for awhile, that doesn't mean I can't be happy when they do it. I don't dislike Archie so much, I can't enjoy a win.

And I never once said this would continue. I haven't been happy with our shooting for awhile, that doesn't mean I can't be happy when they do it. I don't dislike Archie so much, I can't enjoy a win.

Yeah I beat up on Archie and this team regularly but you can't be upset with the team's 3 point shooting today. On Saturday if they go back to the norm from there then be upset but it's just silly to complain after today's performance from that standpoint. Not to mention had the all backups lineup not chucked and miss like 6 in the last couple of minutes the % would've been even better.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

C’mon back Joey Brunk.
We have a perfect role waiting for you.

I’ve been nervous about that actually. Nervous about what it does to the defense. I like him. I want him out there, but he’s slow, and this may be looking to much into things. Although he continued to get placed in the starting lineup, his minutes in conference play really dwindled as the season rolled on. He was exposed a few times in my opinion. We really need him though. We have a size problem. It’s bigger than the shooting problem.