Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Loaded Chicken Sandwich

What Can IUBB do to Revive Your Excitement/Confidence?

Crean brought in Cody Zeller who was a much better college player than Romeo Langford and Yogi Ferrell who also was an excellent player. He brought in Thomas Bryant, James Blackmon Jr. and Juwan Morgan. I am no fan of Tom Crean. But while he brought in a few players that didn't amount to much, he also recruited some great players who went on to play in the NBA.

Crean brought in Cody Zeller who was a much better college player than Romeo Langford and Yogi Ferrell who also was an excellent player. He brought in Thomas Bryant, James Blackmon Jr. and Juwan Morgan. I am no fan of Tom Crean. But while he brought in a few players that didn't amount to much, he also recruited some great players who went on to play in the NBA.

Not jumping in on either side, just providing more facts.

Crean also recruited 5 more players than the next closest Bug Ten school over a five year period. He did that because players were transferring out not because players were leaving for the NBA.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

21 minutes ago, Honkyman said:

He also brought in players who ran over teammates while drunk driving. Team could recruit, but we know he couldn't coach.

He's a saleman. 

And while most would argue Archie can't recruit nor coach, I'd still rather have Archie than CTC any day of the week!

16 minutes ago, Honkyman said:

And that is the Crean era summarized in a few sentences. Inconsistent. Win the conference! Miss the tourney. Discover OG, then recruit Grant Gelan...IMO, if he made the Final Four (as he absolutely should have) in 2013 he's still here. Would have changed the entire trajectory of his program.

Anyway, as for Archie, I want consistent high level play from his teams. Not expecting a FF contender every year, but at least get me back to where I look forward to big games, instead of dreading them. The big ten losing streak two years ago took the wind out of my sails and I haven't ever quite gotten it back. I want to believe, but at some point it's his responsibility to produce and, to date, the results are very mediocre. 

18 minutes ago, Honkyman said:

"And that is the Crean era summarized in a few sentences. Inconsistent."

_____

Now we have consistent mediocrity.

I'd argue Crean led us to consistent mediocrity after his Sweet 16 fail. 

I want tournament success, everyone does, but one thing I’d caution everyone to consider in evaluating coaches is consistently making the tournament, and doing so with a high seed. I know everyone’s other issues with Crean, fair and otherwise, but the 2013 loss wouldn’t look as bad if he could’ve consistently built teams as good as that and the one before it.

When you’re a top 4 seed most years, still making the tourney in “down” years, there will be years you underperform and lose in the S16. Happens to literally every elite coach. The issue is when you have the resources at a place like IU and can’t consistently get there.

Nobody really grumbles about Crean’s other two S16 losses. They lost to a UK title team while playing well and a hot-shooting national runner-up UNC team. If he’d more consistently had too ~12-15 teams, one year or another you win one of those tough S16 games, or your region is destroyed by upsets and you cakewalk to the F4. Some of that is outside your control, much as we don’t like to acknowledge it. 

Don’t even know what it’d take at this point. Winning, I guess. I was looking forward to this game, but got bored pretty soon after tip off. I’ve had half an eye on the screen since then. I got mad at losses during the Crean era. Now, meh. I go into every game expecting us to lose. Expecting us to keep it a 5-10 point game for most of the game but never pulling ahead. The combination of empty arenas and mediocre play has me more checked out on IU basketball than I have been in a very long time. I’m at the point where I’ve accepted were never going to be what we used to be, and I’m never going to experience IU at the top of its glory during my lifetime.

Don’t even know what it’d take at this point. Winning, I guess. I was looking forward to this game, but got bored pretty soon after tip off. I’ve had half an eye on the screen since then. I got mad at losses during the Crean era. Now, meh. I go into every game expecting us to lose. Expecting us to keep it a 5-10 point game for most of the game but never pulling ahead. The combination of empty arenas and mediocre play has me more checked out on IU basketball than I have been in a very long time. I’m at the point where I’ve accepted were never going to be what we used to be, and I’m never going to experience IU at the top of its glory during my lifetime.
That attitude yes you are right luckily there are many passionate fans and past players and great alumni that hopefully won't stand for this and we will keep pressing to get great again. It has to happen

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Yep. I watch every game on tape delay because I know we are going to suck. I can fast forward through the suck. I fast forward through the majority of our games these days.

Archie ain’t it.

Hire a freaking winner. Enough is enough.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

11 minutes ago, coonhounds said:

That attitude yes you are right luckily there are many passionate fans and past players and great alumni that hopefully won't stand for this and we will keep pressing to get great again. It has to happen

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Honestly, it’s just me recognizing that I’m just an ordinary fan at the end of the day who can’t really do anything about it. I’m not a former player or a big donor so I don’t have any juice to squeeze. Getting mad about the games just puts me in a bad mood and doesn’t do anything to fix things, so what’s the point. I was big on the tank train during Crean’s last year because I thought we could land a home run hire to bring IU back. I thought Archie was going to be that guy. But it hasn’t worked out, and we’re 4 more years away from our past. Maybe we get things turned around. I hope that we do because I love IU and I loved my time at IU. Wouldn’t trade it for anything. But if we don’t, it is what it is. 

Honestly, it’s just me recognizing that I’m just an ordinary fan at the end of the day who can’t really do anything about it. I’m not a former player or a big donor so I don’t have any juice to squeeze. Getting mad about the games just puts me in a bad mood and doesn’t do anything to fix things, so what’s the point. I was big on the tank train during Crean’s last year because I thought we could land a home run hire to bring IU back. I thought Archie was going to be that guy. But it hasn’t worked out, and we’re 4 more years away from our past. Maybe we get things turned around. I hope that we do because I love IU and I loved my time at IU. Wouldn’t trade it for anything. But if we don’t, it is what it is. 

Me too man. Exactly where I am.

I remember everyone saying that the coaching search after crean was so important because if IU missed again the program was done. Well looks like they missed, and it doesn’t seem like there is any alternative to what we have.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

15 hours ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Yep. I watch every game on tape delay because I know we are going to suck. I can fast forward through the suck. I fast forward through the majority of our games these days.

Archie ain’t it.

Hire a freaking winner. Enough is enough.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

I also DVR the game and check the score on if I'll watch or not. I have saved a lot of time skipping games the last few years. 

Archie might pull out of the nose-dive IU appears to be in.....but I will be shocked at this point. I can't realistically imagine a scenario where anything changes. Without TJD this is the worst team in the B1G......that really sucks.