Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Loaded Chicken Sandwich

What Can IUBB do to Revive Your Excitement/Confidence?

It might be easier to change expectations from basketball to football. Move resources as well. Not sure IU basketball can meet my expectations. Not sure why basketball has been so difficult, but we seem to have struck gold with Tom Allen and I would take advantage of that. We are a football school now

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

14 minutes ago, Alford Bailey said:

Season four, Archie with all his guys and we are picked to finish 8th in the league. 8th-10th sure seems like a fair assessment. Are we really ok with that 4 years in? Archie has yet to give us ANYTHING to defend him with.

Hell no it's not ok.  And I hate to say it because I've been consistently right on Archie Miller, but here goes.  This team will be the best Archie Miller will ever have at IU.

On 12/31/2020 at 12:09 AM, Josh said:

Hell no it's not ok.  And I hate to say it because I've been consistently right on Archie Miller, but here goes.  This team will be the best Archie Miller will ever have at IU.

That is not saying much. 

On 12/31/2020 at 6:03 AM, 8bucks said:

It might be easier to change expectations from basketball to football. Move resources as well. Not sure IU basketball can meet my expectations. Not sure why basketball has been so difficult, but we seem to have struck gold with Tom Allen and I would take advantage of that. We are a football school now

God that is a scary thought, because that just means we are never going to be more than mediocre at anything other than maybe soccer.  

On 12/30/2020 at 9:03 PM, 8bucks said:

We are at least 5 years of sustained football success from that switch being a consideration.

We are at least 5 years of sustained football success from that switch being a consideration.
I think today cemented that we are a basketball school and thinking we are anywhere near a football school is far from a reality. We will never consistently be good at football imo. Better go all in on basketball

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

An interesting perspective. BTW, I'm not coming down on the "Keep Archie" or "Dump Archie" side -- just posting this for your perusal. Don't kill the messenger ... 

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/30692026/shaka-smart-why-pays-patience-college-basketball-coaches

8 minutes ago, Treesh said:

DON'T show this to LOADED Chicken or Brass Canon.

Chicken might borrow a canon from Brass and shoot chicken patties at Archie fans. ;) 

There's only about four or five posters that will have a serious problem with this article. And we have hundreds of posters.

56 minutes ago, LamarCheeks said:

An interesting perspective. BTW, I'm not coming down on the "Keep Archie" or "Dump Archie" side -- just posting this for your perusal. Don't kill the messenger ... 

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/30692026/shaka-smart-why-pays-patience-college-basketball-coaches

Thanks for sharing.  Obviously the author knows of the grumbling in the IU fanbase.

Sometimes patience works in the long run (Mike Krzyzewski).  Sometimes it works but only for a season or two (Tom Crean).  Sometimes the bait is just rotten and needs to be cut (you wouldn't like my example here lol)

50 minutes ago, Josh said:

Thanks for sharing.  Obviously the author knows of the grumbling in the IU fanbase.

Sometimes patience works in the long run (Mike Krzyzewski).  Sometimes it works but only for a season or two (Tom Crean).  Sometimes the bait is just rotten and needs to be cut (you wouldn't like my example here lol)

That is the rub. There is no universal "do it like this and get results" approach for coaches. You don't know until after the fact. Then it's easy to say "we waited too long" or "good thing we held on!" 

I think that article is a little optimistic about next year. Even with TJD I have a hard time believing IU is a conference contender. It's safe to assume the B1G will take a step or two back with a lot of turn-over and IU will have a nice collection of players- and with TJD even a very solid team. But conference champs? Skeptical. The conference is a really deep pool and IU hasn't shown the ability to get over the hump. 

3 minutes ago, Hardwood83 said:

That is the rub. There is no universal "do it like this and get results" approach for coaches. You don't know until after the fact. Then it's easy to say "we waited too long" or "good thing we held on!" 

I think that article is a little optimistic about next year. Even with TJD I have a hard time believing IU is a conference contender. It's safe to assume the B1G will take a step or two back with a lot of turn-over and IU will have a nice collection of players- and with TJD even a very solid team. But conference champs? Skeptical. The conference is a really deep pool and IU hasn't shown the ability to get over the hump. 

Yes I raised my eyebrow at the thought of us winning the B1G next year. I mean if everyone returns and we add Joey, Luke, and Parker.. 

Throw in a summer of POTENTIAL development from our rotational players.. I mean there's a shot we could finish top 4 I'd say. I'd say we could be a sweet 16 team + more maybe if all things go our way. 

All anyone really needs to do is go back and re-read AM's contract to see he's probably in no danger--the buyout's too big until at least 4/1/2022. And I haven't seen enough of Dolson in action yet to know or feel he'd be up to the task of finding a better replacement.

Looks to me like we just have to tough it out for a while....maybe a good long while. And hope the team catches fire and makes a run in the NCAA tournament this year or next.

9 hours ago, TheWatShot said:

I'd like a coach like Tom Allen, who's passionate about his program and players, and that passion is infectious. Archie Miller has the personality of a card table. 

Archie isn't very personable by any means. I feel like he's opened up slightly more in this COVID world with the amount of interviews he's done however. 

Tom Crean was a salesman. He could sale you Grant Gelon and he did for a coupe months. 

Archie isn't very personable by any means. I feel like he's opened up slightly more in this COVID world with the amount of interviews he's done however. 
Tom Crean was a salesman. He could sale you Grant Gelon and he did for a coupe months. 

He didn’t sell me on Gelon or Jobe, Munurri, or Priller.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

3 hours ago, Honkyman said:

Bowhunter said: "He didn't sell me on Geldon or Jobe, Munurri, or Priller."

___

Nor has Archie brought in a Victor Oladipo or an OG Anunoby.

One could argue he brought in Romeo Langford, which Crean couldn't do. Yeah Romeo didn't do anything here, he was injured the entire year and has finally got his operation that he needed (He's currently injured for the Celtics). 

One could argue he brought in Arman Franklin, who looks to be a nice little player. Time will tell..