Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Loaded Chicken Sandwich

What Can IUBB do to Revive Your Excitement/Confidence?

2 minutes ago, Magnanimous said:

In the history of basketball, there has never been a good team that could not shoot. We have not been able to shoot for four years...

Archie feels like he’s been an interim coach for four years. The guy hasn’t embraced being the face of our program at all.

You can’t be successful running a garbage system that doesn’t allow players to look good for the NBA.  And you can’t win the big ten without recruiting players who have NBA aspirations.  

Crean couldn’t coach but he had what 4 NBA players on both his B10 winning teams. We have one maybe NBA player it looks like 

Reading some other sites. Stewart is going to be the savior we need.  This fanbase man.  Capable of so much self delusion. In 50 years the few fans left will not even have a passing notion of what we once were 

I don’t even remember who Stewart is.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

Chicken, you're better than this. We don't want Alford. You want a guy who couldn't win at UCLA to win at Indiana now? 
I'd rather throw Dane Fife's name into the hat than hire Alford. Might as well bring Kelvin Sampson back if you're considering Alford. 
I would take Sampson back

Sent from my SM-A515U1 using Tapatalk

I would take Sampson back

Sent from my SM-A515U1 using Tapatalk

Should have never fired him. Folks have got away with a lot worse since then and there's no doubt he would have had us in a lot better place than we are now.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

51 minutes ago, tortex28 said:

Should have never fired him. 

The calls/texts were not that big of a deal.  But he intentionally broke the rules and also the reports of rampant drug use and players skipping classes did not sit with me.  Since then IU has been too squeaky clean for its own good and has failed to land 'the guy', but despite his coaching ability I for one am glad Sampson is in our rear view mirror.

8 hours ago, Josh said:

One big problem with the pumpers telling me how to act is their attitudes for the last 4 years.

We all know I've been a vocal critic of Archie since he was at Dayton.  When Crean was fired, he came up as a candidate.  I did not want him because I saw a bad offense and a poor coach.  I was told by many many people that I was clueless on the subject and I simply didn't understand basketball.

Fast forward 4 years of being told this, and they're still trying to tell me that they're right.  Now they're trying to tell me how to post?

Step away from your fantasy world pumpers.  Accept reality.  Some people learn slower than others, but they need to eventually learn.  Archie isn't the coach to bring us where we want to be.

Well Archie still needs time for his guys. He needs to go through full recruiting cycles so that his guys can get old and then we will be good. 

9 hours ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Fans can say “trust the process” and “be patient” all they want, but at some point we actually need to see some progress. It’s easier to pretend that everything is fine and dandy than it is to look in the mirror and be honest about the state of the program. There’s nothing special about IU basketball right now. We’re not a blue blood. We’re not even an above average Big 10 program at this point. We haven’t made it past the sweet 16 since 2002. We’ve made 4 tournaments in the last 12 years. We’re living entirely off our history at this point, and that history gets older and older each year.

Everything they want to do is based off history. Can't build a new arena because Assembly Hall is full of too much history. Can't have new jerseys because of history. Can't have names on the jerseys because of history. Can't do this or that. It's dumb. 

Yeah, it’s one thing for the defense to outpace the offense but right now, nobody in the Kenpom top ten has an offense below 26th. This is Archie’s best offense at IU and it’s in the 50-60 range. That’s unacceptable in year 4.

To add insult to injury, his post-loss press conferences always mention offense as though it just needs to be slightly better — hit a shot here, grab an OReb there, if only Trayce had a better game, etc. But the problem is much bigger, and he doesn’t seem to know that.

(I’ll add that offense is a recruiting tool. Who wants to play in a bad offense?)

9 hours ago, Magnanimous said:

In the history of basketball, there has never been a good team that could not shoot. We have not been able to shoot for four years...

Archie feels like he’s been an interim coach for four years. The guy hasn’t embraced being the face of our program at all.

He doesn’t appear to enjoy being in the limelight. He could have built his brand to the highest level here But instead there is just zero buzz around him and the program, just feels dead

1 hour ago, Golfman25 said:

Sampson has Houston ranked 6.  Just saying.  

The man can coach and recruit also. He stole EriccGordon from Illanois and almost landed Derrick Rose the same year. He had two Jucos that played big minutes his first year and was still respectable. The failing grades and drug use gets a lot of attention but the kids quit after he was fired. In the big picture what he got caught and fired  is now allowed behavior and compared to the Adidas federal probe; nothing but another day on the sleazy side of coaching D1 athletics. 

1 hour ago, triple said:

The calls/texts were not that big of a deal.  But he intentionally broke the rules and also the reports of rampant drug use and players skipping classes did not sit with me.  Since then IU has been too squeaky clean for its own good and has failed to land 'the guy', but despite his coaching ability I for one am glad Sampson is in our rear view mirror.

We have not been squeaky clean since then. Crean had multiple issues with Drugs and academics were terrible when he was fired.  Crean was allowed time to work through his issues and failed. We never gave Sampson the same grace we did Archie and Crean.  

They should have suspended him for 5 games at the start of the next season and told him to clean up the drugs. 

Am I thinking of someone else or isn’t ChronicHoosier the one to usually post an alarming, negative stat on IU during and after a game?
I guess it's okay if it's him.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

What would revive confidence? Faster improvement. We have got better every year under Archie. Unfortunately, he took over during a historically weak Big Ten and the improvement of other programs has outpaced our own. I very much want Archie to be the guy. My fear is that our slooowwwwww growth comes across as stagnation, recruiting dips, and once Trayce leaves we fall off a cliff. 

Edited by BtownStrength