Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Loaded Chicken Sandwich

What Can IUBB do to Revive Your Excitement/Confidence?

8 hours ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Because it just isn't happening. Ant college coach is well settled into his spot at a school and guys like Stevens and Donovan would be stupid to leave HC jobs in the NBA for a college job. 

Was Saban stupid for leaving a NFL job?  It isn’t about Stevens or Donovan.  It is about IU acting like it is the top 5 program we think/want them to be.  Target a great coach (whoever they believe that to be) and DONT take no for an answer.  Alabama didn’t when they wanted Saban. 

8 hours ago, mdiu28 said:

Ok. Il'l ask again. Who are you going after? 

You're not throwing up any solutions other than he isn't the one.

Be careful what you ask for. I think if we move on from Archie, Dolson will hire Alford. They were at IU at the same time, Dolson a manager while Alford played. No inside info, just trying to connect some dots. Not saying that’s who I’d go for, it’s what I think will happen. 

6 hours ago, HinnyHoosier said:

We’re helping further define the term ‘desperation’:

Suggesting and accepting John Calipari coaching at Indiana University.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

I wouldn't want him because he's everything wrong with college athletics wrapped in a suit.  Could he win here if the administration let him do his thing, abso-friggin-lutely; for all the filth around him the guy is a pretty darn good coach. 

3 hours ago, Feathery said:

Be careful what you ask for. I think if we move on from Archie, Dolson will hire Alford. They were at IU at the same time, Dolson a manager while Alford played. No inside info, just trying to connect some dots. Not saying that’s who I’d go for, it’s what I think will happen. 

At this point, I'd rather have Alford. 

6 hours ago, IUCane said:

Was Saban stupid for leaving a NFL job?  It isn’t about Stevens or Donovan.  It is about IU acting like it is the top 5 program we think/want them to be.  Target a great coach (whoever they believe that to be) and DONT take no for an answer.  Alabama didn’t when they wanted Saban. 

Saban left because he wasn't succeeding in Miami. Stevens and Donovan have been good in the NBA. 

4 hours ago, Feathery said:

I had heard that Alford was less than well liked by people who had to deal with him.  No clue If true but heard it somewhere 

Not specific to our team or coach, but the writing is eventually on the wall for the majority of coaches eventually.
After the game the other night I was reminded of the Jud Heathcote joke about "the two envelopes" :
"When I got to MSU Gus was cleaning out his desk. As he left, he said he left me two envelopes, each containing a three word message. Gus told me not to open the envelopes unless things were not going well."
"Well, sure enough after the first year things were bad, so I opened the First envelope and read the three words: "blame your predecessor". So I told the press and alumni that the cupboard was bare and I needed more time."

" A few games into the second year things were bad again. Out of desperation, I opened the second envelope. It also contained three words; "Prepare two envelopes."

This is good. This is Archies “2nd year”. Archie never blamed his predecessor but Indiana fans do that inherently at a leash of 3-4 years. Archie thought this team was good. He needs to prove it eventually. He lucky contract will afford him 1 more year of the same ol’, same ol’.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

Keith smart was there at the same time to

Sent from my SM-A515U1 using Tapatalk

Can this guy get a shooter for f’s sake!? The team plays defense, he’s recruiting the state and they move the ball well enough in the half court. That checks the box on the key things we wanted coming out of Crean’s departure. 

Illinois needs to be our example unfortunately. After two terrible hires of Mid Major coaches who were clones of Crean and Archie, Illini got it right by hiring a Power 5 coach. IU is a pressure cooker job and you need someone with Power 5 experience. It's that simple. That's the reason why Illinois was in same mediocrity we were 3 yrs ago and has jumped near top of Big Ten while IU is still in neutral. 

IU needs a good Power 5 coach with the pressure cooker this job is. Not Archie's fault, but he was promoted to a big job before he was ready.  That's on our administration. A few more yrs at Dayton and another low end Power 5 job in between and he could be a great hire for a big time school but he is not ready yet.  

I've been a huge IU basketball fan my whole life but forgot we were playing today.  When i realized we did, looked up the score and wasn't surprised. Just thought,  "well, I suppose I saved 2.5 hours of frustration."  Ashamed to admit apathy has taken over.   My college self (09 graduate)  heck,  my self from Creans era, would be ashamed of my apathy. 

Will probably watch a game here or there,  but I don't expect to see another NCAA tournament bid while Miller is here. Moreover,  I don't expect to watch enjoyable basketball while Archie is still our coach.   Disappointing.