Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Loaded Chicken Sandwich

What Can IUBB do to Revive Your Excitement/Confidence?

On 12/20/2020 at 8:33 PM, Old Friend said:

Gone for almost a year and it's the same guys bitching about the same sh*t, (it's seriously like Groundhog day) with the same complete lack of understanding about the bigger picture.

Just curious. Do you consider being the smartest poster in history to be a blessing or a curse?

I want to like Archie. I think stellar recruiting classes could have been enough for my excitement but my confidence is shot. Archie isn’t going to be the level of winner I want.

So, who could we hire that would genuinely have you confident that we are the team to beat in the B1G? (Any answer is fair, except Brad Stevens).

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

Hire a coach who loves the program like Tom Allen loves his program. Someone who hates seeing how mediocre IU basketball has become and will be awake at 3 in the morning drawing up ways to change it. 

I have no idea who that is, but it wouldn't necessarily have to be a former player or alum. Just someone who isn't going to act so damn helpless all the time. 

3 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

I want to like Archie. I think stellar recruiting classes could have been enough for my excitement but my confidence is shot. Archie isn’t going to be the level of winner I want.

So, who could we hire that would genuinely have you confident that we are the team to beat in the B1G? (Any answer is fair, except Brad Stevens).

Somebody that has won 3 postseason games in a row multiple times. 

Somebody whose teams have different deficiencies each year 

Somebody that when they say they are going to change the line up they actually change the line up.  

The administration can’t/won’t get out of their own way. There are plenty of donors that would cover whatever it cost to hire a PROVEN winner at this level. Until that happens, I’ll watch every game and hope we catch lightning in a bottle but won’t be confident we return to the program I grew up watching.

The list is short for me.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

5 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

Hire a coach who loves the program like Tom Allen loves his program. Someone who hates seeing how mediocre IU basketball has become and will be awake at 3 in the morning drawing up ways to change it. 

I have no idea who that is, but it wouldn't necessarily have to be a former player or alum. Just someone who isn't going to act so damn helpless all the time. 

It really is insane how both are in their 4th season and Allen is the one who has his team ranked in the top 10. I don’t think there’s a person in the world (except maybe Allen) who ever thought that could happen. 

As for who I would want, I’ll throw out a very controversial name: John Calipari. He’s had success everywhere he’s went and I believe he would get IU back on the national map if allowed to do his thing. 

Home run coaching hire. I'm not saying it has to be a Stevens or Donovan but someone that says "yessir we have something here". Who would that be for me? Chris Beard, Bruce Pearl, Whitman, Woodson or even Fife at this point. There are clearly others that are not realistic that would be included in that list. Truth is I'm not sure it can get a whole lot worse. When I think I'd rather watch a Cream team than this my opinion is justified.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

It really is insane how both are in their 4th season and Allen is the one who has his team ranked in the top 10. I don’t think there’s a person in the world (except maybe Allen) who ever thought that could happen. 

As for who I would want, I’ll throw out a very controversial name: John Calipari. He’s had success everywhere he’s went and I believe he would get IU back on the national map if allowed to do his thing. 

Calipari is in the exit lane of his career, and just seems like he's burned out. I think there's a better chance he'd retire than come here to coach. 

Home run coaching hire. I'm not saying it has to be a Stevens or Donovan but someone that says "yessir we have something here". Who would that be for me? Chris Beard, Bruce Pearl, Whitman, Woodson or even Fife at this point. There are clearly others that are not realistic that would be included in that list. Truth is I'm not sure it can get a whole lot worse. When I think I'd rather watch a Cream team than this my opinion is justified.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Truth. I hated Creans defense. Absolutely hated it. But I sadly have to admit, I liked watching his teams much more than what Archie puts out there. Neither guy is good enough for what I want.

Maybe we should get Scott Drew and let him cheat his pants off. We’d be top 10 in no time..

8 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

Calipari is in the exit lane of his career, and just seems like he's burned out. I think there's a better chance he'd retire than come here to coach. 

Probably, but if he wanted to come here I’d be happy to have him. Even if he was only here 5-6 years before retiring I think the job would be a lot more attractive than it is now. 

Our biggest impediment right now is our administration. If they hired someone and let him do typical NCAA things, we could be top 10 in a few years. Will Wade is nothing special and look at what he’s done at LSU. IU prefers a mediocre team coached by someone who does things “the right way” and we’re seeing the results of that.

I try to stay as realistic as possible about my expectations for IU basketball. I really thought when Archie was hired, we found our guy that would bring success for the next 30 years. I get bad games happen, but after watching 4 years of this I’m not sure he is the answer.

I’m torn on what we should do with him. Part of me thinks he can still turn this around as he is a young coach (only 42) and is still learning how to compete in a tough conference. The other part of me trusts what I see game in and game out. A team that is plagued with awful guard play, a team that can’t shoot 3s, hit free throws or even employ a semi respectable offense. A program that doesn’t seem to develop players. The big problem with Archie, is that I believe he is to stubborn to adapt.

So what does IU do? All the fans calling for his head, who is your replacement? I would love for IU to act like a blue blood and go out and make a proven coach like Jay Wright the highest paid coach in CBB and pay him 10 mill/year. Problem is that’s not realistic, IU does not make those kind of moves. If Archies fired we will try and go out and hire another up and comer. We have seen how that story plays out. Unless we are replacing Archie with a guy who has won big or has been to multiple final fours, then for me personally, I’d rather continue to roll the dice with Archie and hope he can turn it around. Either way, times ticking, UNC, UK, and Duke are not far off from having to look for new coaches, so we better make sure we get our guy before they go looking.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

It's really not that hard to see that when the effort picks up for this team the offense gets better. It's also clear that Archie is getting the message to them in the locker room at halftime but like what we saw tonight, you cannot get yourself in a hole in conference play and expect to just come out and win it in the second half. I don't know if we need to use more timeouts in the first half or just find some way to get these guys more fired up to start the game but this offense looks so much better when they are turning defense into offense and playing in transition. Gotta find a way to bring more energy consistently.

1 hour ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

At some point Archie is going to have to show it to us. This year looks like another year just like the last three, and our recruiting class for next year is looking like a complete dud. How does IU get to consistent success from where we are right now? Because I honestly don’t see it. If TJD leaves then next year will be absolutely brutal. 

A coach who adapts to the talent he has and goes out and finds the talent he needs.  Archie is to one dimensional with his pack line defense which can’t even stop Northwestern for crying out loud.   

28 minutes ago, KYHoosier said:

I try to stay as realistic as possible about my expectations for IU basketball. I really thought when Archie was hired, we found our guy that would bring success for the next 30 years. I get bad games happen, but after watching 4 years of this I’m not sure he is the answer.

I’m torn on what we should do with him. Part of me thinks he can still turn this around as he is a young coach (only 42) and is still learning how to compete in a tough conference. The other part of me trusts what I see game in and game out. A team that is plagued with awful guard play, a team that can’t shoot 3s, hit free throws or even employ a semi respectable offense. A program that doesn’t seem to develop players. The big problem with Archie, is that I believe he is to stubborn to adapt.

So what does IU do? All the fans calling for his head, who is your replacement? I would love for IU to act like a blue blood and go out and make a proven coach like Jay Wright the highest paid coach in CBB and pay him 10 mill/year. Problem is that’s not realistic, IU does not make those kind of moves. If Archies fired we will try and go out and hire another up and comer. We have seen how that story plays out. Unless we are replacing Archie with a guy who has won big or has been to multiple final fours, then for me personally, I’d rather continue to roll the dice with Archie and hope he can turn it around. Either way, times ticking, UNC, UK, and Duke are not far off from having to look for new coaches, so we better make sure we get our guy before they go looking.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Hell I’ll take the guy who just beat our sorry *****.  :)

The title should be changed to potential coaching candidates. 

There’s amazing coaches on each level. However, I don’t think the list is that lengthy if Scott were ever to create one. 

The names I’ve seen mentioned in other threads are basically Tom Crean 2.0, maybe even this thread. Yes you hate watching players not being able to shoot, I get it. But Indiana was a treadmill team under CTC. Fun to watch sure, but we weren’t going anywhere significant (Final Fours / Championships). People actually care about BIG Titles? lol 

Im pretty sure Tony Bennett’s first four years weren’t that sexy. And it’s hard as hell to watch a full game of theirs. But they win and have won on the ONLY significant stage, the national championship. Archie and Indiana could be on a similar path at this point.