Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Loaded Chicken Sandwich

What Can IUBB do to Revive Your Excitement/Confidence?

50 minutes ago, mdn82 said:

Yep.  Last year was his first year even being a 1:1 guy.  He has improved greatly this year from a decision making perspective.  I do feel he has the ball in his hand less this year than last (no numbers handy to say either way).  But his decision making has been mostly on point this year.  Plus we can’t undervalue his rebounding with Joey being out with just under 5 per game.  Imo Joey doesn’t even get that many.  He has more than made up for him, but I do worry about teams like Illinois or MSU where the guards are more physical.  Keep shooting and they will drop once he stops forcing the outside shot.  He is the least of my worries with this team.

He's not even forcing outside shots. He's just missing. He is forcing inside shots where he runs into the trees and gets it sent back. 

1 hour ago, Stuhoo said:

The selective plucking of stats is maddening. And I quote you: 

"...against Providence. He scored 19 and shot 6-9 from the floor and 3 for 5 from 3. Outside of that game he's shooting..."

I mean, good lord--why the hell should we discount the Providence game when looking at his shooting? Such a credibility killer. You'll never sway anyone's opinion with logic like that.

• "Outside of that time at Ford's Theater, John Wilkes Booth NEVER murdered a President!"
  • "Outside of that time against Syracuse, Keith Smart never hit a clutch shot!" 

Well as of now his Providence game is an outlier on the season. 

1 hour ago, mdn82 said:

Let me reiterate.  The whole Al jumping into defenders thing has cause him to drop his turnovers from 1.9 last year to 1.3 this year.  His assists have went from 2.5 last year to 3.2 this year so far.  This just isn’t a thing quite like the VJ3 good for lowering his head into a charge or turnover 3 plus times a game.  If what you guys are saying is true and problematic, his numbers would show it even this early in the year in spite of the sampling.  Those numbers just aren’t typically as flexible as shootings numbers thoughout a year.  He is playing 30 mpg.  He is a 2.5:1 assist to turnover guard.  That’s pretty damn good.  If he kept it over a 2:1 ratio that’s a pretty good damn Senior.  Sorry it’s not good enough for some, or a reason to go at CAM I guess?  But if you all think Al Durham is the or even a problem, I honestly have no clue what you guys are watching.  Another reason to not watch games while posting on here.  

You don't record a turnover for getting your shot blocked or missing a shot. 

1 hour ago, mdn82 said:

Let me reiterate.  The whole Al jumping into defenders thing has cause him to drop his turnovers from 1.9 last year to 1.3 this year.  His assists have went from 2.5 last year to 3.2 this year so far.  This just isn’t a thing quite like the VJ3 good for lowering his head into a charge or turnover 3 plus times a game.  If what you guys are saying is true and problematic, his numbers would show it even this early in the year in spite of the sampling.  Those numbers just aren’t typically as flexible as shootings numbers thoughout a year.  He is playing 30 mpg.  He is a 2.5:1 assist to turnover guard.  That’s pretty damn good.  If he kept it over a 2:1 ratio that’s a pretty good damn Senior.  Sorry it’s not good enough for some, or a reason to go at CAM I guess?  But if you all think Al Durham is the or even a problem, I honestly have no clue what you guys are watching.  Another reason to not watch games while posting on here.  

I'm sorry, maybe I'm misreading you, are you saying that we don't have a problem where our guards drive to the hoop one on three and get stuffed every game?

46 minutes ago, Josh said:

I'm sorry, maybe I'm misreading you, are you saying that we don't have a problem where our guards drive to the hoop one on three and get stuffed every game?

Same as every other team in America.  Every game I watch it happens.  It doesn’t make it a good thing, but you act like we are the only team that does it.  But I also don’t notice it more than any other team.

4 minutes ago, mdn82 said:

Same as every other team in America.  Every game I watch it happens.  It doesn’t make it a good thing, but you act like we are the only team that does it.  But I also don’t notice it more than any other team.

I don't care if other teams do it.  We shouldn't be.  It's bad basketball 

I think it might happen to us slightly more often than other teams. But on a list or our issues I’d say it’s not even top 5.  And more a result of our inconsistent spacing.  

15 minutes ago, Josh said:

I don't care if other teams do it.  We shouldn't be.  It's bad basketball 

Mmkay.  Let know how well your teams listen to your every word.  In a motion style offense it won’t happen as often.  In any pick and roll or iso offense you will see it.  Sorry it bothers you that much.  

Mmkay.  Let know how well your teams listen to your every word.  In a motion style offense it won’t happen as often.  In any pick and roll or iso offense you will see it.  Sorry it bothers you that much.  

I think you're misunderstanding how much it bothers me.  I certainly don't like it and I think Archie should squash it, but it's certainly not the cause of any poor results.  Just a symptom I mentioned that you're going full bore into.

Just now, Josh said:

I think you're misunderstanding how much it bothers me.  I certainly don't like it and I think Archie should squash it, but it's certainly not the cause of any poor results.  Just a symptom I mentioned that you're going full bore into.

That is fair, and I am not trying to minimize it bothering you.  It’s just the amount of basketball I watch it, and it is a normal occurrence everywhere, even for the best of teams.  It doesn’t make it good.  It just doesn’t bother me as much as other things.  

13 minutes ago, mdn82 said:

That is fair, and I am not trying to minimize it bothering you.  It’s just the amount of basketball I watch it, and it is a normal occurrence everywhere, even for the best of teams.  It doesn’t make it good.  It just doesn’t bother me as much as other things.  

Yeah it’s frustrating to watch but happens at every level.  Most  High major, mid major and low major games I watch I can bet someone is going full bore into a bunch of people with no plan.  It was Extra frustrating watching  Al try to attempt to attack 3 trees on Florida St because I’m more invested in the outcome but I watch some one do it every night 

1 hour ago, Josh said:

Again, it doesn't matter to me if other teams do it.  Archie should clean it up.

That said, I love Al.  He's one of my favorite players on this team.  I love his hustle and his energy.

I completely get where you are coming from.  I have my own pet peeves that probably wouldn’t be popular.  Then some popular things discussed that irritate me as well.  Every person has their own things.  I get it.  

4 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

Anyone who still thinks this program is headed in the right direction or has a ceiling where we want it to be, is either a very optimistic person, or is seeing things I'm not. 

Tom Crean who was terrible had us further along in year 4

I think one of the (many) interesting disparities between Tom Crean and Archie Miller is the ceiling. Crean’s ceiling was a national championship, but his foe was consistency. Archie’s problem is not consistency, but rather his ceiling. We’ve seen him reach multiple Sweet 16’s at UD, but his ceiling at IU remains to be seen. In my opinion, I believe he’s done nothing to warrant getting fired after this year. I also believe he’s done nothing to warrant a contract extension. He’ll get next year. It’ll be an important one.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

1 minute ago, HoosierDYT said:

I think one of the (many) interesting disparities between Tom Crean and Archie Miller is the ceiling. Crean’s ceiling was a national championship, but his foe was consistency. Archie’s problem is not consistency, but rather his ceiling. We’ve seen him reach multiple Sweet 16’s at UD, but his ceiling at IU remains to be seen. In my opinion, I believe he’s done nothing to warrant getting fired after this year. I also believe he’s done nothing to warrant a contract extension. He’ll get next year. It’ll be an important one.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

If he hasn’t fixed the same issues after 4 years. What are odds he fixes them in year 5.  

To be optimistic Illinois went from Bruce Weber who was a Tom Crean clone of inconsistency to John Groce who may be a clone of Archie Miller with just plain bad. Try three they got it right and are now a Big Ten Title Contender. Follow that path and we will hit a great hire next time. The last two hires (Weber, Groce and Crean, Archie) have gone identical. Now we need to make sure we follow suite a third time.