Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Sign in to follow this  
Lebowski

CFP Overhaul

This topic is to discuss any recommendations you would like to do to the current CFP system.  I'll start.

A 16 Team Playoff System

Conference champion gets an automatic bid with the remaining spots being an at-large bid determined by the CFP rankings.
All games played in the tournament will be the current bowl games established with the higher seeded team being allocated a bowl based on regional proximity to the school.  
First Round games will be non NY6 bowl games and start the second Saturday of December (a total of 4 weeks).
All games after the first round will be NY6 bowl games.  

Here is what a 16 team playoff system would have looked like last year:
1 LSU (SEC Champ) v 16 Miami OH (MAC Champ) - R+L Carriers New Orleans Bowl, New Orleans, LA
8 Wisconsin (At-Large) v 9 Florida (At-Large) - Liberty Bowl, Memphis TN
4 OU (Big 12 Champ) v 13 Boise State (MWC Champ) - Frisco Bowl, Frisco TX
5 Georgia (At-Large) v 12 Memphis (American Champ) - Music City Bowl, Nashville TN
6 Oregon (PAC 12 Champ) v 11 Utah (At-Large) - Redbox Bowl, Santa Clara CA
3 Clemson (ACC Champ) v 14 App St. (Sun Belt Champ) - Belk Bowl, Charlotte NC
7 Baylor (At-Large) v 10 PSU (At-Large) - Armed Forces Bowl, Ft. Worth TX
2 OSU (B1G Champ) v 15 FAU (Conference USA Champ) - Quick Lane Bowl, Detroit MI

Here is what the 2020 season looks like

1 Bama (SEC Champ) v 16 UAB (Conference USA Champ)
8 Cincy (American Champ) v 9 Georgia (At-Large)
4 ND (At-Large) v 13 Oregon (PAC-12 Champ)
5 TX A&M (At-Large) v 12 Coastal Carolina (Sun Belt Champ)
6 Oklahoma (Big 12 Champ) v 11 IU (At-Large)
3 OSU (B1G Champ) v 14 San Jose St. (MWC Champ)
7 Florida (At-Large) v 10 Iowa St  (At-Large)
2 Clemson (ACC Champ) v 15 Ball St. (MAC Champ)

Just updated the final CFP rankings and conference champs.  Our beloved Hoosiers would be battling against the Sooners the first round!  Only two B1G schools represented in the round of 16.  SEC has 4 representing, *ACC has 2, and the state of Indiana has the most schools qualified in the CFP 16 with 3 (Indiana, Notre Dame, and Ball St.).  

*ND is typically an Independent but due to COVID-19 they are affiliated with the ACC in 2020.

8 teams - five conference champs and three at-large, no more than two teams per conference can make the playoff.

There also needs to be a uniform regular season across the country. I’d actually prefer we go to a ten game season with 8 conference games and do a crossover game at the end of the season during championship week for the 11th game. This would keep the season length reasonable and the games meaningful. Every bowl team would still play 12 games and the CFP championship teams would play 14 games. 

At the end of the day, what matters most in however this is changed is providing an objective path for every team to play for the national championship entering the season. That’s why despite the bubble snub controversy in the NCAAT, every team still had their chance. Take the politicking out of it and let it be settled on the field.

I'm against a 16 team field. If you are #14 in the nation I don't think you deserve a shot. Why should the top teams even have to clear that hurdle? 4 team is best, 6 (first round bye for top 2) would work. I could live with 8, but any more is too many, in my opinion.

I am admittedly old school and hate what has happened to the bowls. 

I'd like to see all conference champs get automatic bids and schools like this year's IUFB be able to battle for a championship. In my opinion if you win your conference you've earned a right to battle in the big boy arena.  Basically it allows the group of 5 to play at the table. And I think the only way that can happen is a 16 team playoff system. I mean Mack Brown is talking about breaking up the entire college football environment into two separate 'leagues' for championships!?  A Group of 5 Championship and a Power 5 Championship. 

That's all just my opinion though and it means nothing in the grand scheme of things.  

I'd like to see all conference champs get automatic bids and schools like this year's IUFB be able to battle for a championship. In my opinion if you win your conference you've earned a right to battle in the big boy arena.  Basically it allows the group of 5 to play at the table. And I think the only way that can happen is a 16 team playoff system. I mean Mack Brown is talking about breaking up the entire college football environment into two separate 'leagues' for championships!?  A Group of 5 Championship and a Power 5 Championship. 

That's all just my opinion though and it means nothing in the grand scheme of things.  

Yep. 8 just makes so much sense to me. Then conference championship games begin to mean more. Players get a prolonged spotlight to improve their brand. The number of mediocre or above average bowl games mean more to players. There are less mid season player opt outs. More money for schools. More entertainment for fans. The only negative is more games which could lead to more injuries for players / too long a season. To rectify I think teams should simply cut one of the meaningless nonconference games at the beginning of the season.

For example, this season I would’ve loved to see this 8 team playoff (and even though Alabama or Clemson would probably win it anyways as some naysayers proclaim, there’s always the chance for the upset which is why we fans watch - a bengals jets $100 parlay would’ve netted the bettor $7.3M last week!):

1. Alabama vs Oregon
2. Clemson vs UC
3. OSU vs Oklahoma
4. Notre Dame vs Texas A&M / Florida / ISU / Georgia

Would be awesome!

Could also make it a 6 team playoff with the top two teams receiving a bye and then each P5 conference champ gets recognized and then an at large bid, but I like the idea of 8 so that each P5 winner gets represented, G5 gets an automatic representation of 1, and then 2 at large.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app