Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

IUBB @ Florida State in ACC - Big 10 Challenge - 12/9/20

8 hours ago, JaybobHoosier said:

I’ve seen on Twitter a lot of people dogging Rob, and I felt this was his best game yet as he was attacking more and trying to be more aggressive. Him and Jerome had probably their best games of the short season.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

What makes you think that Jerome had his best game of the season?  Maybe i guess the "of the season" part is the key as I have been expecting so much more from him and have not seen it.  Last night he hit some shots but i would love for him to become more aggressive looking for shots.  

I did like Rob tonight though.  That little jumper from the stripe was nice to see as well (vs the live or die by driving or shooting the 3)

2 minutes ago, ebridges24 said:

The thing that bothered me the most in this game was Al's driving into 3 and 4 people and trying to finish. He's got to learn how to kick the ball out. Every time he drove the ball, I cringed because I knew he would not kick the ball out when FSU came to help.

Yes that was frustrating. He did save us a few times nonetheless. But FSU length at the rim on our drives was very present. I love Al in the fast break transition. I don't think he's seen length like last night in all his four years at IU. 

1 minute ago, ebridges24 said:

The thing that bothered me the most in this game was Al's driving into 3 and 4 people and trying to finish. He's got to learn how to kick the ball out. Every time he drove the ball, I cringed because I knew he would not kick the ball out when FSU came to help.

The ball sticks in Al's hands too.  When Armaan and Trey catch the ball on the wing and have an angle they attack.  If they don't have the angle they rotate the ball.  Al and Phin hold onto it too long and dribble around.  Al eventually looks for the lane but doesn't have the defense moving when he does.  Phin is hit and miss in his drives.

It looked like our guards wore down as the game went along and were a lot less aggressive late in the game and OT.

4 minutes ago, Treesh said:

Yes that was frustrating. He did save us a few times nonetheless. But FSU length at the rim on our drives was very present. I love Al in the fast break transition. I don't think he's seen length like last night in all his four years at IU. 

I'm not saying he didn't do some good things, he did. I just can't remember the last time I saw him kick the ball out on a drive.

What makes you think that Jerome had his best game of the season?  Maybe i guess the "of the season" part is the key as I have been expecting so much more from him and have not seen it.  Last night he hit some shots but i would love for him to become more aggressive looking for shots.  
I did like Rob tonight though.  That little jumper from the stripe was nice to see as well (vs the live or die by driving or shooting the 3)

It wasn’t just that he made some outside shots, but his defense was better overall from what I’ve seen and his effort was really good. I agree he needs to be more aggressive on offense because he is such a weapon. Overall, he looked more comfortable than he has and that’s going up against FSU’s length and athleticism.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

56 minutes ago, JaybobHoosier said:

It wasn’t just that he made some outside shots, but his defense was better overall from what I’ve seen and his effort was really good. I agree he needs to be more aggressive on offense because he is such a weapon. Overall, he looked more comfortable than he has and that’s going up against FSU’s length and athleticism.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

I just don’t know if he can play at this level.  The game just seems to be too fast for him right now - still.  He will hit the occasional outside shot but that’s about it.  He is lost on the defensive end and is just not strong with the ball.  I don’t know what it is but it’s not clicked with him.  He might just be one of those kids that look good coming off the bus but just doesn’t get it.  I hope that’s not the case and he improves and puts it together but their is good reason that he is not getting much minutes and that’s 100 percent justified in my view.  I think moving forward Trey will continue getting more and more of those minutes and if Leal can show he can play on the defensive end his minutes will be further reduced.

I'll add that Franklin is a hell of a defender.  He went from guarding Williams in Asheville to guarding Gray in Tallahassee and did well against both of them.  Rob is a great defender too.  If they ever come around to consistently knocking down open shots we'll have a solid, well-rounded backcourt. 

We need to quit driving into the trees and throwing the ball up. We need Lander in a hurry and I’m not sure it will be this year. We need more shooters on this team. I was big on getting Newman that eventually went to Purdue. I think Hunter has a decent shot, but him not being ready yet hurts us too. . I do think our offense looks better. A lot more ball movement which I like, but if we can’t hit from outside, we will never be successful.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

14 minutes ago, Bowhunter said:

I hope Aminu Mohammed is watching closely.  All of the other pieces are in place...we just need a second alpha/natural scorer on this team.  I'm not saying it's a guarantee that he would/could step right in mid-season and instantly blow up, but given what we've seen thus far, it could work out very well for all involved.

Once again, Archie Miller used just 11 unique lineups in IU’s two-point defeat at FSU. In te last game vs. Stanford, that low number was likely due to Al Durham’s absence from the game. Last night, even with Durham available, Miller simply seemed more comfortable using a smaller rotation, even in an overtime contest.

Part of that tighter rotation included Miller playing his starting lineup of Phinisee, Franklin, Durham, Thompson, and Jackson-Davis for a whopping 22:52 out of the game’s 45 minutes. That group did well on the court, going +3 for the game. However, they played the final 8:31 of the game; in that stretch, FSU outscored IU, 13-10.

Even if he didn’t put up the most gaudy numbers, Race Thompson once again proved to be valuable for Indiana. His +11 led the team, and IU’s offense and defense were both at their most efficient with him on the court. It may sound crazy, but his 33:44 of playing time might have been too little.

Out of the 11 unique combinations, only three lineups went negative last night, and all three had a frontcourt of Galloway, Hunter, and Jackson-Davis. IU’s defense struggled mightily with Galloway and Hunter on the floor, leaking 1.76 points per minute (PPM) with Galloway on, and 1.71 PPM with Hunter in the game. Overall, IU gave up just 1.53 PPM in the affair.

7 hours ago, kreigh8 said:

What is happening to this board? Start Leal? Please. I will say if Lander doesn't play nearly 30 minutes, I thinks it's a missed opportunity. Lander needs minutes, and he won't find much this season as it continues until he can get his footing at this level.

This isn't directed at you Clapper but:
This forum is a funny place sometime. Lots of pointing to GBI and how toxic that place becomes - I've only ventured over there a few times but this place can't be much different after IU loses.

Think there should be some perspective here. Yes, we still are very poor shooting team and that's incredibly frustrating, but we went to overtime on the road against a very good FSU team without Brunk - who I assume can still at least rebound. We lost by 2 against the 20th team in the country despite, giving up two possessions from rebounds off their own free-throw and I recall a critical turnover/foul from TJD after a rebound and failed outlet (I think that was a block, but still free points). Clean that up, make a shot and we're talking instead of how scrappy and how much of a hardfought win that was on the road rather than our failed shooting for 4 years and how this team will get waxed in the Big10. Sunshine pumping? Eh, maybe? Just let things play out this season before we starting generating the lists of the next coach. Just my $0.02

Sunday's game really is the perfect opportunity to get Lander and Leal minutes. Archie not doing so just shows even more that he's just not the guy. Sometimes you gotta put a Greg Popovich and just throw some dudes into the fire. Only way they will learn. Watching from the bench makes them all worthless. 

Sunday's game really is the perfect opportunity to get Lander and Leal minutes. Archie not doing so just shows even more that he's just not the guy. Sometimes you gotta put a Greg Popovich and just throw some dudes into the fire. Only way they will learn. Watching from the bench makes them all worthless. 

But if those guys aren’t as good as the ones playing what difference does it make. I guess you can make the argument none of our guards are standouts, so start the lesser guy with “maybe” a higher ceiling. But right now, Lander isn’t as good as our average guards who start at Indiana University.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

I finally got to watch a little bit of the game (well the last 6 min + OT) and i have to tell you, i enjoyed what i saw for the most part. I think our guys are moving on offense quite a bit and there are some decent sets. There were a couple times, as others have stated when i saw AD drive to the basket and got his **** handed to him. I knew it was going to happen and i was like, OH NO, HERE IT IS AGAIN! He had open men on the wings i thought he would dish to for an open 3 and nope.... big swat! Our guys aren't confident to shoot the three, i don't know why. But everything else looked pretty good. The defense is amazing! Almost every shot was contested and people knew where to be on the floor. You have to admit, FSU made some lucky shots to win the game because the D was on it. On to the next one, i'm proud they competed in this game. Just need a shooter with confidence.

13 hours ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Why on earth would he do this.... You think it makes Archie not the guy if he doesn't get the worst player on the roster (currently) more minutes instead of using the game to get other guys more comfortable?

Lander has the worst 3%, worst FG%, fewest Rebounds, fewest assists (of the guards), and is the most turnover prone guy on the team... but sure, the coach would be an idiot for not playing him 30+ minutes this next game.... WHAT?