Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

IUBB @ Florida State in ACC - Big 10 Challenge - 12/9/20

Having dealt with back issues much of my adult life, I can assure you it takes very, very little to aggravate it again which only sets you back that much farther.  It is especially easy to be set yourself back if you attempt to take too many steps forward too early.  The slightest seemingly safe movement can incapacitate you and immediately drop you to your knees.  I would guess even if they thought Joey could play a few minutes off and on during this game, they still know it would likely mean he would miss even more games going forward. 

Not having two senior captains on the road against a ranked team is concerning, as is the ridiculous length of this roster.  

(2) 7'1"    

(1) 6'11"

(2) 6'9"

(3) 6'8"

(3) 6'6"

(3) 6'5"

(1) 6'4"

(2) 6'3"

(1) 6'2"

(1) 6'1"

1,493"

As a comparison (Indiana's roster)

(1) 6'11"

(1) 6'9"

(1) 6'8"

(1) 6'7"

(2) 6'6"

(1) 6'5"

(3) 6'4"

(1) 6'3"

(3) 6'2"

(2) 6'1"

1,225"

1 hour ago, ray said:

Having dealt with back issues much of my adult life, I can assure you it takes very, very little to aggravate it again which only sets you back that much farther.  It is especially easy to be set yourself back if you attempt to take too many steps forward too early.  The slightest seemingly safe movement can incapacitate you and immediately drop you to your knees.  I would guess even if they thought Joey could play a few minutes off and on during this game, they still know it would likely mean he would miss even more games going forward. 

Not having two senior captains on the road against a ranked team is concerning, as is the ridiculous length of this roster.  

(2) 7'1"    

(1) 6'11"

(2) 6'9"

(3) 6'8"

(3) 6'6"

(3) 6'5"

(1) 6'4"

(2) 6'3"

(1) 6'2"

(1) 6'1"

1,493"

As a comparison (Indiana's roster)

(1) 6'11"

(1) 6'9"

(1) 6'8"

(1) 6'7"

(2) 6'6"

(1) 6'5"

(3) 6'4"

(1) 6'3"

(3) 6'2"

(2) 6'1"

1,225"

Right there with you on the back issues. I destroyed my back in Iraq in 2008. I am finally doing better, but I have to visit the chiropractor once a week to maintain what I have now. One wrong move and I'm down for at least a couple days. Heck I can sit or sleep the wrong way and be down.

2 hours ago, ray said:

I didn't feel good about this game assuming a full roster- without Brunk & Al it looks really tough.

Gotta wonder about Brunks availability for the future, it's a real bummer. 

Before IU twitter and this message board starts calling for Archie's head and the entire sport of basketball tonight -- Shall we consider we're going to be without Al and Joey, which is huge for us. Even if Al is back tonight on the gametime decision, he's not going to be as sharp. 

- We're playing a team that can compete in the ACC tourney

- We're still only on game 5.

I'm not expecting us to win this, it would be a surprise to me.

17 minutes ago, reconmkd said:

Right there with you on the back issues. I destroyed my back in Iraq in 2008. I am finally doing better, but I have to visit the chiropractor once a week to maintain what I have now. One wrong move and I'm down for at least a couple days. Heck I can sit or sleep the wrong way and be down.

When you feel comfortable with your maintenance schedule with the chiropractor, then you might consider adding yoga and/or pilates (slow and easy movements at first for an extended period of time before progressing).  They are both quite helpful from my experience.  This may or may not be true for your condition, but any work on your core strength (if you aren't completely incapacitated) is useful.

I visited Summit Physical Therapy in Fort Wayne for several months.  Andreas Lohmar is the only certified McKenzie Method therapist in the area.  That was probably the most relief I've ever experienced.  Unfortunately, it was expensive and my insurance wouldn't cover any of it.  I guess they would prefer I seek disability rather than seek help.  So, I continue to work...often times with a lot of pain. 

My issue began long ago (long before I felt any of the symptoms) after what seemed at the time to be a minor spinal injury from a middle school football practice.  That incident caused small fractures in my spine (which were never identified or treated at the time because I was young and got right back at it after a few days rest) and over the years has continued to cause nerve damage, a lot of pain, and plenty of frustration.  I manage to function and be productive, but it doesn't take much to knock me out for a few days time.

59 minutes ago, ray said:

When you feel comfortable with your maintenance schedule with the chiropractor, then you might consider adding yoga and/or pilates (slow and easy movements at first for an extended period of time before progressing).  They are both quite helpful from my experience.  This may or may not be true for your condition, but any work on your core strength (if you aren't completely incapacitated) is useful.

I visited Summit Physical Therapy in Fort Wayne for several months.  Andreas Lohmar is the only certified McKenzie Method therapist in the area.  That was probably the most relief I've ever experienced.  Unfortunately, it was expensive and my insurance wouldn't cover any of it.  I guess they would prefer I seek disability rather than seek help.  So, I continue to work...often times with a lot of pain. 

My issue began long ago (long before I felt any of the symptoms) after what seemed at the time to be a minor spinal injury from a middle school football practice.  That incident caused small fractures in my spine (which were never identified or treated at the time because I was young and got right back at it after a few days rest) and over the years has continued to cause nerve damage, a lot of pain, and plenty of frustration.  I manage to function and be productive, but it doesn't take much to knock me out for a few days time.

To echo a bit of this...

I've had issues for years with several different areas in my back from spinal issues to nerve issues.  I've had everything from physical therapy to dry needling to numbing injections.  This past summer it came to a head, I started working out a bit harder to give my back a reason to feel pain.  A linked up with a personal trainer, who just so happened to have had a similar injury many years ago, and he provided me a whole slew of workouts to strengthen areas to compensate for the spinal injuries.  I've been able to strengthen different parts of my back and have felt a relief that I never thought would be possible.  That's not to say that I'm completely pain free or that I don't have bad days that put me down.  I never thought I'd squat again in my life and I'm back to squatting while doing a ton of exercises to decompress after. 

3 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

To echo a bit of this...

I've had issues for years with several different areas in my back from spinal issues to nerve issues.  I've had everything from physical therapy to dry needling to numbing injections.  This past summer it came to a head, I started working out a bit harder to give my back a reason to feel pain.  A linked up with a personal trainer, who just so happened to have had a similar injury many years ago, and he provided me a whole slew of workouts to strengthen areas to compensate for the spinal injuries.  I've been able to strengthen different parts of my back and have felt a relief that I never thought would be possible.  That's not to say that I'm completely pain free or that I don't have bad days that put me down.  I never thought I'd squat again in my life and I'm back to squatting while doing a ton of exercises to decompress after. 

My chiropractor is also a physical therapist and trainer. He has me doing some core exercises with kettle bells. Talk about a work out!!!! I need to get back into doing the exercises, because they were really helping. I've been teleworking from home since March and my motivation is really slacking.

1 minute ago, reconmkd said:

My chiropractor is also a physical therapist and trainer. He has me doing some core exercises with kettle bells. Talk about a work out!!!! I need to get back into doing the exercises, because they were really helping. I've been teleworking from home since March and my motivation is really slacking.

I've had horrible issues with my hamstrings over the years.  My trainer gave me a stretch with resistance bands that has me touching the floor.  I've never been able to do that.  I've setup a resistance band that I'll knockout a set every time I walk by it.

Just now, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Not feeling good about this one. Can we hit some shots?

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

We beat Providence and Stanford by attacking the basket.  Texas didn't let us do that for a number of reasons with their size being one of them.  I'm afraid we revert back to playing scared and turning the ball over giving up easy transition buckets.

12 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

I just hope we look like we belong on the same court as them. 

Can't believe I'm still saying that in Year 4. 

I agree. No excuse that IU can’t compete consistently with top tier teams

If I'm FSU I attack TJD every possession. Without a back-up he's gonna get in foul trouble, tired or just have to play softer D. Same on the other end, play him aggressively and just wear him down with waves of bodies. Basically what Carolina did to Garza last night- worked except Iowa has 29 guys that can hit the 3.