Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Schreckbagger

Parker Stewart - B. Braun Sheffield Sharks

I’m in the camp that he is valuable if he is shooting or is a decoy for TJD not to get double teamed. Other than that, he isn’t helping.

that said, how do we get him more shots? Even if the volume drops his percentage a little, who cares. He should take twice as many 3s a game

RE: on him not 'looking happy' about being benched.
I would be worried about him if he was happy about it.

I think that’s his natural tone. He’s always low key with expressions, even when starting. He’s a tough dude. Some fuel for the fire will do him good.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

4 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

I think that’s his natural tone. He’s always low key with expressions, even when starting. He’s a tough dude. Some fuel for the fire will do him good.

Yep.  Guys can respond to adversity in two ways.  And if it's the wrong way in a sport, there are guys behind to try.

I’m in the camp that he is valuable if he is shooting or is a decoy for TJD not to get double teamed. Other than that, he isn’t helping.
that said, how do we get him more shots? Even if the volume drops his percentage a little, who cares. He should take twice as many 3s a game

Thompson setting an off ball screen at the top of the key for Stewart going ball side. Thompson then cutting hard to the basket with Kopp sliding to the top of the key. Switch Stewart/Kopp on who shoots better where.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

I don't really care what this was about. CMW decided an action needed to be taken and he did what he thought was appropriate. How many times have posters been calling for the coach to hold players accountable? Now we have one who is more than willing to do that. I like that. The inmates are no longer running the asylum. Stewart got the message and it's entirely up to him how he responds. I think he will be better for it because CMW loves these guys, even when he has to emphasize his message.

4 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

Thompson setting an off ball screen at the top of the key for Stewart going ball side. Thompson then cutting hard to the basket with Kopp sliding to the top of the key. Switch Stewart/Kopp on who shoots better where.

Stewart hits at a very high clip at the top of the arch. I get very frustrated not seeing more ball screens/motion to get him the ball up there. He just needs a few inches to get off his shot and it’s money.

usually it’s X or even worse, Phinisee that ends up with the ball open in that position and teams dare Phinisee to shoot, they won’t dare Stewart to

We need both of these guys to get catch and shoot opportunities. Kopp is trying too hard. Kopp has been frustrating because he’s trying to get his shots, but to get them he’s taking off balanced shots or being forced to drive and shoot. Not his game.

I know we are a 41 offense… kinda. But we might want to experiment with 32 if playing Race, Trayce, Parker, and Kopp. Put race and Trayce on the blocks. Feed the post. Draw help. Kick to shooters when help comes. Catch and shoot. Know your personnel. Help doesn’t come? Let Race and Trayce eat. It’s not a guard driving lineup.

20 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

We need both of these guys to get catch and shoot opportunities. Kopp is trying too hard. Kopp has been frustrating because he’s trying to get his shots, but to get them he’s taking off balanced shots or being forced to drive and shoot. Not his game.

I know we are a 41 offense… kinda. But we might want to experiment with 32 if playing Race, Trayce, Parker, and Kopp. Put race and Trayce on the blocks. Feed the post. Draw help. Kick to shooters when help comes. Catch and shoot. Know your personnel. Help doesn’t come? Let Race and Trayce eat. It’s not a guard driving lineup.

Yeah I think you’re right that this isn’t the offense Woody intended to run, and props to him for tweaking for his players. Race would be our best player if TJD left. He’s too valuable not to play, and so we’re still playing two bigs. 

Who knows what happened with Stewart. Were it not for the benching, none of us would know about it. He’s been a great veteran player, and I know in my family’s IU game thread we all loved seeing him and the team rally around TJD after the foul. The young man has had a rough couple years and I like to think Woody and this team can be some stability for him. And also he’s a nasty player, just a cold sniper out there. Big fan of Parker. 

I agree this is not exactly how he wants to play. CMW just doesn't have the type of players on this roster to play the style he wants. I think he's doing a good job of trying to get the best out of what he has. Looking at the profile of guys he's recruiting, you can see where he wants to go. We knew this was likely not a final four team. I just want to see them grow and get better as a team going forward. I am really looking forward to watching a team full of his preferred guys.

Woody wants guys that can

1) switch and defend four positions, and

2) shooters with range (other than at the five spot)

As they develop, that’s potentially Bates, Jordan G, Banks, Leal, JHS, Gunn, Jakai Newton

Even Phin and X can guard guys a lot bigger than themselves. Parker? Not so much. Lander? Nope. Kopp? Not really. Gallo for sure; he’s the outlier that may suffer if he doesn’t have to be guarded on the three point line.

As they develop, that’s potentially Bates, Jordan G, Banks, Leal, JHS, Gunn, Jakai Newton
Even Phin and X can guard guys a lot bigger than themselves. Parker? Not so much. Lander? Nope. Kopp? Not really. Gallo for sure; he’s the outlier that may suffer if he doesn’t have to be guarded on the three point line.

Jordan G is tantalizing. Must be frustrating to be his coach. Great defender. Great rebounder. Can shoot it at times. Can be athletic, in some ways. Needs better hands, and much better decision making. He’s the one player that can take our team to the next level if things clicked. I keep hoping for this above all.

Bates needs more time, period. So long as he plays within himself. Leal didn’t grab the spot with his uptick of time. No one else is “earning” extra minutes right now from the 3-11 guys.

21 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Jordan G is tantalizing. Must be frustrating to be his coach. Great defender. Great rebounder. Can shoot it at times. Can be athletic, in some ways. Needs better hands, and much better decision making. He’s the one player that can take our team to the next level if things clicked. I keep hoping for this above all.

Bates needs more time, period. So long as he plays within himself. Leal didn’t grab the spot with his uptick of time. No one else is “earning” extra minutes right now from the 3-11 guys.

Jordan G is reasonably likely to be an outstanding senior 

Until then? I’m guessing he’ll be on a developmental roller coaster 

^^ Bates to me is sure fire, agree on time but his talent as a 3-level scoring two-way wing is clear.

Geronimo shows he hasn't been playing the game that long, it's that simple. That he's as good as he is shows his continuing upside, as does his steady improvement. He's got an NBA body, high level D with the ability to defend multiple positions, a solid outside shot, good rebounding positioning and excellent timing to go with the athleticism that gets him there, but still often tentative or not fully in position to receive passes resulting in TO's, still gets out of position at times on both ends, etc. Dude will get there. I'd bank on next year

19 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Galloway’s shooting is one of the bigger swing skills on this roster this year (and beyond), I think. Probably a 3 who can handle enough to play the 2, and guard most teams’ 4s. If his shot is a threat that’s a valuable upperclassman. If not he’s a nice bench piece.