Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Schreckbagger

Parker Stewart - B. Braun Sheffield Sharks

3 minutes ago, LamarCheeks said:

I read a couple stories that said because he did not start the school year at IU, he would not be eligible until next season. 

Not trying to be argumentative, but that's what I read -- I can't remember exactly where, but they were pretty veteran reporters. Guess they coulda been wrong. 

I think that was referring to a scholarship opening during the year like at some of the schools we competed with for Stewart. In that case it can’t be filled mid year.

However, since we have had an open scholly all year we could fill it.

So now, I'm starting to rethink my post indicating that Stewart isn't eligible. I'm still not sure, either way -- because I've seen stories that say he's not because he didn't start the school year at IU, but have also seen stories that he is because he's coming in as a grad transfer. 

But if he is eligible, since everybody is pretty much granted a free year, this won't count against him -- why not use him? I'm not saying 20 minutes a game, but why not 10-12? Let him come off the bench and see if he can't knock down a couple 3s, especially since we're struggling so much in that department? To me, getting him a little PT seems to be a no-lose situation. 

BTW, he is listed on the active roster ... 

1 hour ago, LamarCheeks said:

So now, I'm starting to rethink my post indicating that Stewart isn't eligible. I'm still not sure, either way -- because I've seen stories that say he's not because he didn't start the school year at IU, but have also seen stories that he is because he's coming in as a grad transfer. 

But if he is eligible, since everybody is pretty much granted a free year, this won't count against him -- why not use him? I'm not saying 20 minutes a game, but why not 10-12? Let him come off the bench and see if he can't knock down a couple 3s, especially since we're struggling so much in that department? To me, getting him a little PT seems to be a no-lose situation. 

BTW, he is listed on the active roster ... 

He just lost his dad in November.  He might not mentally be ready to play.   Last update I saw he hasn’t done anything basketball related since and isn’t in basketball shape especially jumping mid season into the B1G.   In my opinion I think he will play at some point but not until he is mentally ready and in game shape 

1 hour ago, Stuhoo said:

I have to expect that Parker Stewart and Joey Brunk will have a serious bond. Not only are both extraordinary young men, they both have a tragedy in common.

As much as we want him to contribute to our team, right now he needs support and time to heal. Having lost my dad suddenly at about the same age, I know that recovery is not an easy or short process. Let's let him progress at his pace.

I thought the new rules allowed for immediate eligibility but I wouldn’t imagine that would apply to in semester and even if it did, I wouldn’t think he’d jump right into the lineup. We don’t even know where he is conditoning wise, needs to learn the offense (whatever that is), pack line scheme, etc. Either way I would have assumed he wouldn’t be eligible until the Spring semester starts. He’s probably not even enrolled in classes at this point 

I have no idea if he can play this year, or even wants to play.  However, there are a few things to consider if he wants to play.  In 3 1/2 years of college he has completed his bachelors and masters degrees.  You don't do that unless you are very bright and come in with a ton of AP credits.   In addition he is a coach's son and we all know how that can add to the basketball IQ.  My guess is that he is probably a gym rat with that background.  He also logged a ton of playing time at his first two stops.  He was the prime ball handler and scorer at his last stop and probably drew special attention from the defense.  I think that not being the #1 option would add to his shooting percentages.  Have trouble learning a offense or learning the packline?  I don't think so.  Finally, with two degrees under his belt, does anyone seriously think that he wants to spend another three years in college?  If he wants to play this year and if he is eligible, he will play.  He wants to do his father's number, #45, proud.

Second semester classes at IU started Monday, Jan. 4.  Does anybody know if he is enrolled?

They started on January 4th?! I’m enrolled in spring classes and my earliest one starts the 19th. I don’t know anyone here who has started classes for the spring.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

4 minutes ago, Golfman25 said:

Classes are delayed a few weeks due to covid.  

I took the date off the IU site.  The delay in starting the semester makes some sense.  The question is whether he must be attending classes in order to be eligible.  Has registration taken place?  Maybe he becomes eligible as soon as he registers.  Not sure what the NCAA rules are.

13 minutes ago, BottomLine said:

I took the date off the IU site.  The delay in starting the semester makes some sense.  The question is whether he must be attending classes in order to be eligible.  Has registration taken place?  Maybe he becomes eligible as soon as he registers.  Not sure what the NCAA rules are.

Guess we find out on Thursday.