Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Schreckbagger

Parker Stewart - B. Braun Sheffield Sharks

3 hours ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

I want to win games first and foremost and that be the reason players get drafted. Exhibit 1. Oladipo and Zeller. One and done, little impact players, meh.. Vonleh and Romeo.

BUT well coached talent wins more than any other formula. Give me the more athletic/better basketball player everyday. Vonleh/Romeo could have been part of a winning team, just didn’t have the right pieces to go with them. But, yeah, nothing beats a TJD, Zeller in my book.

Anyway, Parker Stewart was a key cog to a 9-20 Tenessee Martin team that didn’t exactly play B1G quality teams while racking up 20 losses. He’s 6’4” or 6’5” and he can shoot it decently. My expectations are completely in line. You don’t win the B1G with a roster of Parker Stewarts.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

I'm no expert on Parker Stewart, I've admittedly only seen a handful of highlight montages on YT. But it seemed like he was acting as the pg an awful lot at UTM. But when you see his freshman highlights at Pitt it's almost all catch and shoot 3's. Seems to me maybe UTM had him handling the ball far too much out of necessity which hurt his offensive efficiency shooting the ball. Here he can just be a catch and shoot 2 guard again like he was at Pitt (except with much more talent around him). 

People thought Fitzner would be a lights out shooter for us and he came here with better shooting numbers.  If he can hit around 40% it'd help, around 35% like last year not as much and we have other guards hitting that.

He's not a bad shooter, but his numbers say he not the lights out shooter some are making him out to be either.

1 hour ago, JSHoosier said:

People thought Fitzner would be a lights out shooter for us and he came here with better shooting numbers.  If he can hit around 40% it'd help, around 35% like last year not as much and we have other guards hitting that.

He's not a bad shooter, but his numbers say he not the lights out shooter some are making him out to be either.

He did shoot 43% on 6.3 three point attempts per game during ACC play in 2018.  His three point percentage plummeted last year but I wonder how much of that was due to a change in role/shot selection. We don’t need him to be James Harden and take 16 shots per game. If he can a great spot up shooter like he was on Pitt it would fill a huge need. 

rrrrrrr, and since he's peg legged, maybe he wouldn't drive into three 6'9" guys and try to get a shot off.
The most infuriating thing about him. Drives me to cuss at the TV every time.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

45 minutes ago, rcs29 said:

The most infuriating thing about him. Drives me to cuss at the TV every time.

I don't remember him making those stupid decisions as a freshman. But the last two seasons it happens waaaayyy too often. But why? Just trying to get a foul? 

11 hours ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Anyway, Parker Stewart was a key cog to a 9-20 Tenessee Martin team that didn’t exactly play B1G quality teams while racking up 20 losses. He’s 6’4” or 6’5” and he can shoot it decently. My expectations are completely in line. You don’t win the B1G with a roster of Parker Stewarts.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

I haven't seen anyone say Stewart makes us BIG title contenders and I would hope no one seriously thinks that is the case. The roster is not full of Parker Stewarts either. So while it is a lovely strawman that you've constructed it has absolutely no bearing on the actual situation. 

IF, and it's not an insignificant if at this point, Stewart can play competent defense and make some shots then he will help fill the most glaring weakness of this team. Often enough one small piece can make a big difference if it is the right piece. Can Stewart be that piece? Before he's even played a game for us is just a bit too soon to determine that. However, given that the current team often doesn't have the confidence in itself to even make open shots, I like the addition of a player that not only has shown some ability to make open shots but has demonstrated the confidence to keep shooting and at least some ability to manufacture and make tough shots as well. 

As it stands now this team plays pretty solid defense and has a very, very talented post player. A team like that which has a hot shooting game or two can do a lot of damage in a win or go home tournament. Anyone that can possibly contribute to the team getting hot is a worthwhile addition, especially when we have the room. 

2 hours ago, ebridges24 said:

rrrrrrr, and since he's peg legged, maybe he wouldn't drive into three 6'9" guys and try to get a shot off.

Hell, all our guards do that not just Durham.

That's not a personnel problem.

Must be a legacy thing from Creams philosophy, analytics and all.

F@#k the midrange game.

13 minutes ago, Woodson1980 said:

Hell, all our guards do that not just Durham.

That's not a personnel problem.

Must be a legacy thing from Creams philosophy, analytics and all.

F@#k the midrange game.

^^This^^

The way to maximize points per possession definitely seems to have evolved. Scoring at the rim and from three is generally the recipe for success.

I don't remember him making those stupid decisions as a freshman. But the last two seasons it happens waaaayyy too often. But why? Just trying to get a foul? 
That seems to be the only logical thought. Which is fine if the opportunity is there but he takes into a clogged lane weakly with 2 or 3 guys ready to block him. And he has been doing it his entire time here but when his minutes increased the exposure to seeing him do it also increased.

1 hour ago, hoosierbgh said:

I haven't seen anyone say Stewart makes us BIG title contenders and I would hope no one seriously thinks that is the case. The roster is not full of Parker Stewarts either. So while it is a lovely strawman that you've constructed it has absolutely no bearing on the actual situation. 

IF, and it's not an insignificant if at this point, Stewart can play competent defense and make some shots then he will help fill the most glaring weakness of this team. Often enough one small piece can make a big difference if it is the right piece. Can Stewart be that piece? Before he's even played a game for us is just a bit too soon to determine that. However, given that the current team often doesn't have the confidence in itself to even make open shots, I like the addition of a player that not only has shown some ability to make open shots but has demonstrated the confidence to keep shooting and at least some ability to manufacture and make tough shots as well. 

As it stands now this team plays pretty solid defense and has a very, very talented post player. A team like that which has a hot shooting game or two can do a lot of damage in a win or go home tournament. Anyone that can possibly contribute to the team getting hot is a worthwhile addition, especially when we have the room. 

I agree.  If a player has good shot selection, then it never hurts to have an additional player on the roster who can light it up and score in bunches, even if only at times (see Devonte Green vs FSU last season, or a guy like Roderick Wilmont).  This is especially true, as you mentioned, if there is already an elite-level talent inside.

I have no idea how well Parker defends.  It's possible with the extra motivation of playing in memory of his father he'll give every ounce of effort to defend at a level even he wasn't aware he had in him.  Who knows?  Something tells me a coach's son will also have a relatively high basketball IQ.

Currently on the roster, though, I believe Archie has an enormous recruiting win with Armaan Franklin.  If he continues to defend at the level he has this season, which in my opinion is the best on the team, then he could be on a short list of candidates for Big Ten Defensive Player of the year by his senior year (if not before).  And as of this season, which I fully understand is still in the very early stages, Franklin has also showed improvement across the board including in his offensive game.  Like I said, it shouldn't hurt to have a player like Stewart to come in and score from deep when Franklin or others are having an off-night (which is most nights thus far) to help create more space for TJD in the paint, but I'm really impressed with Franklin.  I read on another site someone suggesting Armaan Franklin will make a good back up to Parker Stewart.  This may prove true, but I would be somewhat surprised if it's not the other way around.

Parker Stewart

Career stats (in two full seasons)

40.1 fg%     36.6 3-pt fg%     77.6 ft%     3.9 rebs/game     2.2 assists/game

Armaan Franklin

Career stats (in one full season and a few games)

37.9 fg%     28.9 3-pt fg%     65.5 ft%     2.3 rebs/game     1.5 assists/game

2021 season stats (albeit, very early in the season)

44.9 fg%     36.8 3-pt fg%     75.0 ft%     5.7 rebs/game     2.7 assists/game

6 minutes ago, ray said:

I agree.  If a player has good shot selection, then it never hurts to have an additional player on the roster who can light it up and score in bunches, even if only at times (see Devonte Green vs FSU last season, or a guy like Roderick Wilmont).  This is especially true, as you mentioned, if there is already an elite-level talent inside.

I have no idea how well Parker defends.  It's possible with the extra motivation of playing in memory of his father he'll give every ounce of effort to defend at a level even he wasn't aware he had in him.  Who knows?

Currently on the roster, though, I believe Archie has an enormous recruiting win with Armaan Franklin.  If he continues to defend at the level he has this season, which in my opinion is the best on the team, then he could be on a short list of candidates for Big Ten Defensive Player of the year by his senior year (if not before).  And as of this season, which I fully understand is still in the very early stages, Franklin has also showed improvement across the board including in his offensive game.  Like I said, it shouldn't hurt to have a player like Stewart to come in and score from deep when Franklin or others are having an off-night (which is most nights thus far) to help create more space for TJD in the paint, but I'm really impressed with Franklin.  I read on another site someone suggesting Armaan Franklin will make a good back up to Parker Stewart.  This may prove true, but I would be somewhat surprised if it's not the other way around.

Parker Stewart

Career stats (in two full seasons)

40.1 fg%     36.6 3-pt fg%     77.6 ft%     3.9 rebs/game     2.2 assists/game

Armaan Franklin

Career stats (in one full season and a few games)

37.9 fg%     28.9 3-pt fg%     65.5 ft%     2.3 rebs/game     1.5 assists/game

2021 season stats (albeit, very early in the season)

44.9 fg%     36.8 3-pt fg%     75.0 ft%     5.7 rebs/game     2.7 assists/game

Franklin is shooting 36.8% on only 3.2 attempts per game, though. Stewart is a career 36.6% on 6.8 attempts per game. He has a similar career percentage as Franklin has this season, but on more than twice the volume.