Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Give Coach Tom Allen a MONSTER extension.

5 minutes ago, Banksyrules said:

It’s time folks.  This is way different than the Tom Crean Extension.  

Pluses

1. He’s established a program. Not done in one year.

2. Built stability to the point that we just beat Wisconsin with our backup (though good) quarterback.

3. Have we ever been ranked this high?

4. Good Football programs mean good money coming in that goes to other sports.

5. The kids love him.

6. Even if we become just a top 10-20  for a few years, that’s waaaaaay better than we have been. 

Cons

None. There are none. In fact we need to start a go fund me just  in case.  

Give him money for a proper staff 

58 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Give him money for a proper staff 

I assume you aren't saying the current staff isn't proper, but instead saying they current staff isn't getting paid properly. Coach Allen seems to love it here. We definitely need to pay up. This may be a unique year where not as many schools can afford to fire their coach but there are still going to be PLENTY of suitors. And to your point, paying the staff is equally as important. Wommack is what, 33? As many programs that will have their eye on Allen, probably 5 times as many will be looking at Wommack as a DC. I'll be shocked if we can keep everyone. Money talks and I'm not confident we'll do a ton of talking. I'm still enjoying the f$%&ing hell out of this season though. 

1 minute ago, NashvilleHoosier said:

I assume you aren't saying the current staff isn't proper, but instead saying they current staff isn't getting paid properly. Coach Allen seems to love it here. We definitely need to pay up. This may be a unique year where not as many schools can afford to fire their coach but there are still going to be PLENTY of suitors. And to your point, paying the staff is equally as important. Wommack is what, 33? As many programs that will have their eye on Allen, probably 5 times as many will be looking at Wommack as a DC. I'll be shocked if we can keep everyone. Money talks and I'm not confident we'll do a ton of talking. I'm still enjoying the f$%&ing hell out of this season though. 

Yep. Our staff is currently a feeder program for bigger programs.  We need to give him the money that when Texas comes knocking they asking for the person to be their HC not a lateral move 

18 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Yep. Our staff is currently a feeder program for bigger programs.  We need to give him the money that when Texas comes knocking they asking for the person to be their HC not a lateral move 

I used to tell people all the time that I'm fully aware of where we stand in the world of college football. A stepping stone program. That we needed probably a decade or more of sustained success before a coach wanted to stick around for a while. Living here in Nashville, I remember laughing at Vandy fans who thought they could keep Franklin. Now I'm in that same boat, mostly b/c I simply just can't believe the how incredible the culture of the program is right now. One thing that might work in our favor is if other programs look at this being year #4 for Allen, where he didn't even make a bowl game in years 1 and 2. Places like Texas may not be smart enough to make a long term hire (not necessarily saying Coach Allen couldn't make an immediate impact). Regardless, we have to pay the man. Pay the man his money. 

EDIT: This is not a know it all statement. When I say I used to tell people all the time, I don't mean IU fans. I mean, I've lived in SEC country for 14 years now. I used to tell anybody who would listen to me saying that IU football could actually be good some day. 

No offense to our program but we’ll never be considered on the same level as Texas. That will always be a better job. What we need is to find a coach and make him comfortable - exactly what a large raise and reasonable expectations do.

The best comparison I can think of is probably Iowa and possibly Kansas State. Two programs not regarded as top 10, or even 20, national programs, but they consistently win 6-9 games.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

11 minutes ago, mbredenk101 said:

We just need to make him the Mark Few of college football to where he has no desire to leave and is as comfortable as can be.

Sent from my SM-F700U using BtownBanners mobile app

Ehhh...Mark Few coaches in the West Coast Conference.  Of course he's comfortable. 

But yes, make Coach Allen comfy here too

Best post game interview ever! Even Booger McFarland said, if there's one coach he would want to come back and play for:CTA

What a recruiting tool, to have your players run by and say "we love you coach ", "best coach in America", come play here"! On national television!

He's not going anywhere!!

Ehhh...Mark Few coaches in the West Coast Conference.  Of course he's comfortable. 
But yes, make Coach Allen comfy here too
Yeah I wasn't really comparing location, more just to the fact that Mark Few doesn't seem to have a desire to leave for any other job...

Just now, mbredenk101 said:

Yeah I wasn't really comparing location, more just to the fact that Mark Few doesn't seem to have a desire to leave for any other job...

I get it, and I think lack of competition leading to 1st place finishes every year is very appealing to him.  Just a strange comparison to me

Like many of you, I have watched IU athletics for many years. Grew up in Indiana and graduated from IU in the 80’s.
I can honestly say I have NEVER seen the enthusiasm around IU football like there is right now. There are a lot of factors that play into this, but none more important than CTA. IU has craved a consistent program forever. CTA has the ability to deliver even more. This is a pivotal time for IU athletics and we will see just how serious the school is about the future of its programs.
Make CTA happy to stay in Bloomington. We know many others will be happy to oblige if we don’t.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

14 minutes ago, Dhop said:

Like many of you, I have watched IU athletics for many years. Grew up in Indiana and graduated from IU in the 80’s.
I can honestly say I have NEVER seen the enthusiasm around IU football like there is right now. There are a lot of factors that play into this, but none more important than CTA. IU has craved a consistent program forever. CTA has the ability to deliver even more. This is a pivotal time for IU athletics and we will see just how serious the school is about the future of its programs.
Make CTA happy to stay in Bloomington. We know many others will be happy to oblige if we don’t.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

When fans are allowed back in the stadium I hope the fanbase shows its appreciation for him and shows up in droves to support the program.  I attended (almost) every game in my undergrad although I might not have been "all there" for them.  The administration ponying up the cash to keep him is one step but the in game support from the fans for CTA and players is another big factor.

When fans are allowed back in the stadium I hope the fanbase shows its appreciation for him and shows up in droves to support the program.  I attended (almost) every game in my undergrad although I might not have been "all there" for them.  The administration ponying up the cash to keep him is one step but the in game support from the fans for CTA and players is another big factor.
I predict a sold out Memorial Stadium in game 1 of 2021 season.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Agreed with what a lot has been said here. Coach Allen has been unbelievable with what he’s done to a historically bad football program. I plan to make multiple games next season if allowed, and I live 4+ hours away. I CAN’T WAIT!!!

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

With the extension/raise he got last yr he is currently the 33rd highest paid coach in the country. I don’t see the school having an issue with bumping him higher if need be. His buyout as of 12/1 is $20 million, that’s the 14th highest in the country.

Unless the numbers from USA Today are wrong, if so ignore everything I posted lol

https://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

9 minutes ago, Hardwood83 said:

That list is interesting. Lots of underperformers, but Michigan and Kansas stand out as REALLY under-performing. I am shocked Brian Kelly is #65. 

Private schools don't have to release records on what they pay coaches through salary and endorsements so those lists are always gonna be inaccurate.