Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

LIHoosier

Kyle Schwarber - Philadelphia Phillies

Apparently a mod got all ban happy and threw out the Schwarber thread. So here's a new one. But its not good news. The Cubs have non-tendered Schwarber, which makes him a free agent. Which may be good, but he was likely to make in the 8-9 million range through arbitration.

22 minutes ago, mdn82 said:

Yep crappy that small of a contract on a dude with that much power, and we can’t keep him.  I bet he goes to an AL team and absolutely rakes.

He might not have to move very far, the team on the South Side is looking for a left handed power hitter to DH/part-time OF.

If he can be the designated driver for our manager, that would be a plus also.

As a Cubs fan of 40-plus years and an IU grad, I'm bummed. But I'm not sure there was any other conclusion to this.

I thought he'd be a really solid major league hitter. I figured every year, he'd bat about .280 with some pop (30 or so HRs, 90 or so RBIs). But he didn't hit for average and struck out way, way too much. I know last season was weird for everyone, but he only hit .188. I think that might have helped the Cubs make up their minds. Plus, Theo always was enamored of him -- and he's gone, so I can't help but think that made the decision a little easier. 

He wasn't bad defensively, but is just a natural DH. 

15 hours ago, LamarCheeks said:

As a Cubs fan of 40-plus years and an IU grad, I'm bummed. But I'm not sure there was any other conclusion to this.

I thought he'd be a really solid major league hitter. I figured every year, he'd bat about .280 with some pop (30 or so HRs, 90 or so RBIs). But he didn't hit for average and struck out way, way too much. I know last season was weird for everyone, but he only hit .188. I think that might have helped the Cubs make up their minds. Plus, Theo always was enamored of him -- and he's gone, so I can't help but think that made the decision a little easier. 

He wasn't bad defensively, but is just a natural DH. 

Exactly. If he hit .260 he'd be a long-time Cub, but sub .230 (career) with so many K's?.... maybe if he was a Catcher or SS but impossible to reconcile for a Left fielder on a team that is struggling to score. Already handicapped with Heyward's weak bat (and yes I know he had a decent "season".)  

9 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Reports are that Schwarber has signed a one year deal with the Washington Nationals.

$10 million which was around what he would've picked up from the Cubs in arbitration. Good to see he didn't get shafted.

Cubs are a trainwreck. None of their Stars can consistently hit the ball. Rotation Is awful. What are they doing?

Signed, Cubs fan

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

Unfortunately too true. When can we stop considering these guys as stars though? Loved them a few years back but KB and Javy ain’t worth much these days.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

5 hours ago, Bobman1 said:

KB and Javy ain’t worth much these days.

Very true.  My sense is Ricketts is done investing in the team for a while.  One championship was enough for him...he's going to milk it as long as he can.