Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

IUBB vs Stanford - 12/2/20 @ 1:30 on ESPN

53 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

Unfortunately, no.  He had several possessions where he didn't know if he was coming or going.  He just seems off to start the season.

I’m starting to wonder if Hunter is simply not “a gamer”. Plays really well in practice but pyscs himself out when it comes time to play a game. I don’t know how else to explain all the positive talk he gets from teammates and staff, never to actually show it come gametime. I recommend a sports psychologist to see if they can help him out. It’s gotta be a mental block. 

Since I haven't watched the Stanford game yet and many are rehashing yesterday, I'll add my thoughts. I am not incensed that IU lost to UT. I am not even upset that they shot poorly, that will happen. My disappointment was from the eye test. They didn't look like they were competing. I have no idea what is in their head or heart, but they looked soft and intimidated or maybe bored. None of those should EVER be associated with IU b-ball, IMO. It has happened before many times over the last few years. I really hoped Justin Smith was taking that aura with him....but it reared it's ugly head again on Dec 1, 2020. 

I want to believe Archie can be consistently good. I really want IU to just be a tough out every single night. There hasn't been much evidence of either. Archie is gonna get a chance to prove it and I'm rooting for him....but without much conviction. 

Had to watch recorded. Solid game. Glad they came back with some fight. Yesterday was the only awful day of the three albeit very awful. Need consistency but still can't be too angry with 3rd in Maui In.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Pretty good game overall. Only bad shooting came from Franklin and Lander. Franklin was only really bad from 3 land. TJD had the game I wish he would have had vs TX. Galloway was pretty strong. Race had another really good performance. 

Too early to get pessimistic, but wish Lander was hitting more. 

Still disappointed in the showing vs TX. Total let down. TX is damn good though, and a ton of talent. They had UNC down big early. 

Thing I'm most happy about with this tournament finished is that I should not be forced to listen to BW and his nonsensical rants the remainder of the season. Of 40 minutes of game time I believe he paid attention to/commented on about 6 minutes. The rest? I honestly have no clue. His play by play guy deserves some sort of humanitarian award.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Franklin stuffed the stat sheet. 3 turnovers, but I’ll accept it considering he was playing aggressive and played all 40 mins in the third game in three days. 13 points , 8 rebounds, 5 assists, and 1 block (5-6 from the line as well), while tasked with guarding a likely NBA lottery pick and holding him to a 1-10 performance. 

Race stuffed the stat sheet with a monster of a game as well. 6-7 from the field, 1-1 from 3, 2-2 from the line for 15 pts, 8 rebounds, 3 assists, and 4 blocks. 

Trayce played like we expect from him and had something to prove. Shot well from the line too. 

Phinissee had too many turnovers (5) after two great performances without one, but he hit a couple threes to feed the hungry. 

Lander still has some work to put in and some adjustments to make...poor shooting and a couple turnovers, but he did have 3 blocks and 4 assists. 

Leal got some run and Geronimo didn’t. 

I’m surprised and happy to see Al shooting in pregame. 

Overall, a good game. IU’s defense was impressive in Maui/Asheville...three good defensive performances. It’s still the offense that needs work, but two games showed signs of improvement from last year.  At least Indiana didn’t lose to the second place team...they were beat by the 2020 Maui champs.

Walton talked with Hornsby for what seemed like at least half of one of the two halves. The rest of the time he talked about anything and everything, a good bit of which was unrelated to basketball. 

9 minutes ago, JaybobHoosier said:

Haven’t went through all the posts, but where was Geronimo? He had played well for what to expect from him, so I was surprised not to see him play.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Agreed, especially with both seniors out I was surprised he didn’t get some run. When the frontcourt is at full strength, I wonder if we’ll see some lineups that push Jerome to the 3.

58 minutes ago, JaybobHoosier said:

Haven’t went through all the posts, but where was Geronimo? He had played well for what to expect from him, so I was surprised not to see him play.

I brought that up also, would have preferred him out there to Leal at this point

I’m starting to wonder if Hunter is simply not “a gamer”. Plays really well in practice but pyscs himself out when it comes time to play a game. I don’t know how else to explain all the positive talk he gets from teammates and staff, never to actually show it come gametime. I recommend a sports psychologist to see if they can help him out. It’s gotta be a mental block. 

I think you may be onto something here. I haven’t thought about it but I have been trying to figure out why someone we have heard raves about the last two preseasons hasn’t been able to turn it into on-court game time performance. I wonder if he supposedly plays so well in practice because he is comfortable around his teammates and knows their tendencies. Maybe a lack of familiarity with players from other teams makes him tentative.
Whatever it is, I wish he could get past it because I think he is the player who can add the most to our current formula and make us much better. I desperately want him to succeed.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

6 minutes ago, RatpigHoosier said:

I think you may be onto something here. I haven’t thought about it but I have been trying to figure out why someone we have heard raves about the last two preseasons hasn’t been able to turn it into on-court game time performance. I wonder if he supposedly plays so well in practice because he is comfortable around his teammates and knows their tendencies. Maybe a lack of familiarity with players from other teams makes him tentative.
Whatever it is, I wish he could get past it because I think he is the player who can add the most to our current formula and make us much better. I desperately want him to succeed.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

He's scoring from more places on the floor than last year. He's not there yet when he needs to 'play angry'.

He's a good rotation piece, especially when he's one of two options with Brunk, who has pretty much an opposite skill set.

9 hours ago, JaybobHoosier said:

I think we needed as much offense as possible on the floor after our Texas performance. We all know Geronimo has a long ways to go on that front. Our defense was pretty darn solid all last night so there was really no need to disrupt our already below average spacing threat. Just my thoughts on that matter, maybe he was late to the team bus this morning? LOL

19 hours ago, mamasa said:

This is how I feel after listening to Walton all game....

^^^THIS....I can not believe that you didn't get even one like out of this posting, mamasa?! OMG, that perfectly describes three days of 'Walton talking Again'.  Fantastic come back game for IU - but people this is the post of the season and it ain't even close!

4 hours ago, fwgreenway said:

^^^THIS....I can not believe that you didn't get even one like out of this posting, mamasa?! OMG, that perfectly describes three days of 'Walton talking Again'.  Fantastic come back game for IU - but people this is the post of the season and it ain't even close!

Thank you! This is an often quoted song in my workplace and at home lol. Anal Hematoma is a go to instant diagnosis that I use for everything :)

Normally I will watch a game multiple times. This might be the first time that I had to rewatch a game where i muted part of the broadcast.   I’m usually a Walton guy.  I don’t mind listening to him do random games because after watching a ton of games it’s refreshing to hear something different from time to time but yesterday was more then I could handle.  One thing about Walton that probably annoyed some people but I have become  immune to over the years is his love affair PAC 12 teams or as he calls it the conference of champions.   No matter what team it is from the PAC 12 be assured that he will be a big homer for them over the other team from a different conference 

5 minutes ago, Honkyman said:

Walton wasn't a homer for Stanford. He raved about TJD (especially after he realized he was son of Dale Davis). Walton also was very complimentary of Archie Miller.

Lol yeah he was.    I just watched it again.   Refs won’t let Stanford play their game.   How many foul shots have IU shot today?  Well we know IU has shot more