Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

IUBB vs Stanford - 12/2/20 @ 1:30 on ESPN

2 minutes ago, Honkyman said:

Guard play on the offensive end remains a problem. Franklin 0-3 from 3-point range. Lander 1-5 from 3-point range. Galloway, 1-1 and Phinisee 2-3 from 3-point is decent but guards making just four 3-point shots is not a recipe for success.

While I agree that could be an issue, I don't think this team is built to be a three-point shooting team. We are built to drive the ball and play through contact. Plus, we were missing arguably our best 3 point shooter with Al.

4 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Most of the anti Archie crowd admit there are good times. But there were good times with Crean also.  The anti Archie crowd want the good and bad split to be more like 80-20 and not so much 50-50. 

I had fun during the Crean area. I was a student at IU when we were #1. 

But he ruined IU Basketball for me after Syracuse. It took years to recover from that. 

Most of the anti Archie crowd admit there are good times. But there were good times with Crean also.  The anti Archie crowd want the good and bad split to be more like 80-20 and not so much 50-50. 

To an extent I agree... I would love more like an 80-20 split at the least...

I am not sure I agree that most of the anti Archie crowd admit there are good times.... or maybe they admit it to themselves but they sure do not post about them.

2 minutes ago, Str8Hoosiers said:

To an extent I agree... I would love more like an 80-20 split at the least...

I am not sure I agree that most of the anti Archie crowd admit there are good times.... or maybe they admit it to themselves but they sure do not post about them.

That’s a fair point.  

Happy with a lot from today’s game. Think Lander is starting to get a feel which is a good sign.  Franklin was great. 

Hunter worries me. If he’s not a reliable contributor by the end of the year think we gotta recruit over him.  

While I agree that could be an issue, I don't think this team is built to be a three-point shooting team. We are built to drive the ball and play through contact. Plus, we were missing arguably our best 3 point shooter with Al.

The IU team isn't built to be a three-point shooting team because the players are poor shooters.  A college team that can't hit 3s isn't going very far. When up against an athletic team like Texas (or Michigan State), the guards have to be able to hit the 3s because TJD and Race Thompson won't be able to score as much.

Last night there were plenty of people to bring up how we have lost 20 games by 10+.  That is actually the definition of 80/20 as he has coached 102 games.  I am not defending what I saw yesterday, but come on 50/50?  If we looked like that 50% of the time we wouldn’t win 10 games.  We DO NOT look like we looked yesterday 50% of the time.  The 20% of the time wanted is what it truly is but imo it should be less than 10% of the time.  But in no way the way we played yesterday happens 50% of the time.  That’s just a gross exaggeration based on personal beliefs of where we should be.  If we want to get to where we want to be the 20% needs to be less than 10%.  I can agree there if we are using realistic numbers.

Edit:  Pretty please stop going under screens, pressing when shots aren’t falling, find your All American early, and keep communicating on defense.  

1 minute ago, JaybobHoosier said:

I wasn’t able to watch but will on DVR tonight. Obviously based on the box score it looks like TJD finally showed up, but what all did I miss? How did everyone play/etc?

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Franklin was the definition of solid! One thing I really noticed is Lander's quickness. 

Just now, mdn82 said:

Last night there were plenty of people to bring up how we have lost 20 games by 10+.  That is actually the definition of 80/20 as he has played 102 games.  I am not defending what I saw yesterday, but come on 50/50?  If we looked like we looked 50% of the time we wouldn’t win 10 games.  We DO NOT look like we looked yesterday 50% of the time.  The 20% of the time wanted is what it truly is but imo it should be less than 10% of the time.  But in no way the way we played yesterday happens 50% of the time.  That’s just a gross exaggeration based on personal beliefs of where we should be.  If we want to get to where we want to be the 20% needs to be less than 10%.  I can agree there if we are using realistic numbers.

Could you please stop misrepresenting what I say. You are better than that. 

Wins=Good  Losses=Bad

Archie has a sub .500 record in the big ten and against non cupcakes in general he’s about 50/50.  We need better than that.  

12 minutes ago, Josh said:

I only saw the second half, but I very much enjoyed it.  I wish they could play with energy and pride every game

I disagree with a lot of what you say, and that is okay.

But this I do not disagree with. Baffles me how we have to question if the team will play with energy, confidence, and fight. 

Could you please stop misrepresenting what I say. You are better than that. 

Wins=Good  Losses=Bad

Archie has a sub .500 record in the big ten and against non cupcakes in general he’s about 50/50.  We need better than that.  

Well I don’t try and fit myself into a pretzel to say someone is a bad coach 50% of the time.  Especially at this level.  That’s just asinine.  You are better than that.

8 minutes ago, JaybobHoosier said:

I wasn’t able to watch but will on DVR tonight. Obviously based on the box score it looks like TJD finally showed up, but what all did I miss? How did everyone play/etc?

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Franklin was aggressive from the tip, think Galloway.  TJD has engaged and attacking too.  Lander didn't hesitate to let it go but did actually go towards the rim.  Race was Race.  Phin was complacent on offense most of the game but hit two big threes when we needed them.  He was great on defense besides going under a screen giving up an open three.  Galloway was attacking like always.  We had some sloppy moments that led to turnovers.

3 minutes ago, mdn82 said:

Well I don’t try and fit myself into a pretzel to say someone is a bad coach 50% of the time.  Especially at this level.  That’s just asinine.  You are better than that.

So that’s a no?  You won’t stop trying to misrepresent what I am saying?  

Guy can’t win half his game against good competition.  Mediocre coach?   Overpaid? 

2 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

Franklin was aggressive from the tip, think Galloway.  TJD has engaged and attacking too.  Lander didn't hesitate to let it go but did actually go towards the rim.  Race was Race.  Phin was complacent on offense most of the game but hit two big threes when we needed them.  He was great on defense besides going under a screen giving up an open three.  Galloway was attacking like always.  We had some sloppy moments that led to turnovers.

I missed most of the 2nd half and will have to catch it later, but I criticized Phinisee for passing up several shots in the 1st half.  I loved reading that he finally pulled the trigger and hit a few big ones in the 2nd.  Like I said, he has a nice shot, wish he would gain the confidence to pull the trigger more often.

Thanks, I appreciate it! :) Did Jerome finally look a little more comfortable?

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

11 minutes ago, IUc2016 said:

But this I do not disagree with. Baffles me how we have to question if the team will play with energy, confidence, and fight. 

Ditto...thats been, by far, my biggest disappointment/complaint.

They being said, saw a lot of good today including the fact they came out agressive, and ready to play, from the start.