Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

IUBB vs Texas - 12/1/20 @ 1:30 on ESPN

2 hours ago, HoosierAloha said:

Galloway is the one player that actually does it consistently.  Franklin started doing it late in the game vs. Texas but wasn't finishing.  Has Lander really looked to attack the rim in the three games?  He's had several shot attempts that were unnecessary but it seems like he's trying to find his rhythm.

It's not just attacking the rim. It's just looking at it because you might find out you can shoot it without being right at the rim. 

38 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

It's not just attacking the rim. It's just looking at it because you might find out you can shoot it without being right at the rim. 

At least 6 of Stanford's points in the first half came after long misses.  We can't completely ignore shooting it from outside but we need to play inside out and actually convert on open looks.  We got handled by Texas in part because of poor play on the perimeter.  Texas didn't do anything spectacular on offense to beat us.  This team isn't built to rain it from deep and has a small margin for error. 

5 hours ago, HoosierAloha said:

At least 6 of Stanford's points in the first half came after long misses.  We can't completely ignore shooting it from outside but we need to play inside out and actually convert on open looks.  We got handled by Texas in part because of poor play on the perimeter.  Texas didn't do anything spectacular on offense to beat us.  This team isn't built to rain it from deep and has a small margin for error. 

And that kind of thinking is exactly why our guys suck at shooting. Because I'm sure they saying to themselves and Archie is telling them the same. Gotta let the rock fly when you're open or else you're just wasting time and space being on the floor. 

12 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

And that kind of thinking is exactly why our guys suck at shooting. Because I'm sure they saying to themselves and Archie is telling them the same. Gotta let the rock fly when you're open or else you're just wasting time and space being on the floor. 

The offense felt far more ‘opened up’ today.

Still gotta get Rob more comfortable pulling the trigger. He’s the only one on this team whose shot I always expect to go in.

1 hour ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Playing through our strengths, needing to play inside out, and converting on those open looks is why we suck at shooting...?  I don't care if we had Hulls, Blackmon Jr., Oladipo, and Watford on the floor with TJD.  I'd want to look to attack the rim, get it into TJD, and make those open shots when they're kicked back out.  Even more so with this team, they've showed over and over they're not shooters, it's not how this team will win.

I would guess a majority of coaches at the college level want their teams to play through the paint and to shoot it when they're open.  Why did we play better today?  Our guards and wings attacked the paint after the ball was rotated.  We had some interior passes and kickouts to shooters.  That's how this team will win this season.  If we're relying on seeing if Lander can get hot from deep or watching Armaan and Durham jacking up threes after a couple of swing passes we're going to lose a lot of games.

Still gotta get Rob more comfortable pulling the trigger. He’s the only one on this team whose shot I always expect to go in.

Thought this exact same thing. Out of everyone I have the most confidence in his shot

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

Rob's hesitance to shoot the ball has me so frustrated. I saw him play several times in HS and came away thinking he was going to be the next big pg star at IU. Injuries hampered him early on so I stayed patient but man this needed to be the year he took a step forward and I haven't seen it thus far.

10 hours ago, HoosierAloha said:

Playing through our strengths, needing to play inside out, and converting on those open looks is why we suck at shooting...?  I don't care if we had Hulls, Blackmon Jr., Oladipo, and Watford on the floor with TJD.  I'd want to look to attack the rim, get it into TJD, and make those open shots when they're kicked back out.  Even more so with this team, they've showed over and over they're not shooters, it's not how this team will win.

I would guess a majority of coaches at the college level want their teams to play through the paint and to shoot it when they're open.  Why did we play better today?  Our guards and wings attacked the paint after the ball was rotated.  We had some interior passes and kickouts to shooters.  That's how this team will win this season.  If we're relying on seeing if Lander can get hot from deep or watching Armaan and Durham jacking up threes after a couple of swing passes we're going to lose a lot of games.

Well guys actually looked to attack and shoot and not just attack and pass. Against Texas they weren't looking to shoot. 

7 hours ago, Crimson and Cream said:

Rob's hesitance to shoot the ball has me so frustrated. I saw him play several times in HS and came away thinking he was going to be the next big pg star at IU. Injuries hampered him early on so I stayed patient but man this needed to be the year he took a step forward and I haven't seen it thus far.

He's a truly excellent defender; that's half the game right there. He is a pretty good open shooter--that matters too. 

A healthy Rob Phinisee is a plus for the team the way he is, just wish he had a slightly increased mindset of aggressiveness, kind of like Armaan Franklin showed yesterday.

55 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

He's a truly excellent defender; that's half the game right there. He is a pretty good open shooter--that matters too. 

A healthy Rob Phinisee is a plus for the team the way he is, just wish he had a slightly increased mindset of aggressiveness, kind of like Armaan Franklin showed yesterday.

Increased mindset of aggressiveness and concentration.  He had several lapses in concentration on the offensive end during the Maui Invite.  That's understandable for freshmen but for a junior captain that's no bueno.  His defense has been excellent for the most part.

10 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

You're right and I should have clarified my frustration is on the offensive end. I think he's been a very good defender since he got here.