Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

IUBB vs Providence - 11/30/20 @ 2:15 ET

1 minute ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Pleased.

Great defensive energy and awareness.

Race was a man.

Galloway plays the way I wish all my players played.

I won’t be harsh on Lander. Let him grow and develop at his pace. I think we will have him a couple years or more.

Had the game turned on in my office then, the schedule with kablooey with Extractions, Crowns, you name it. Rewatched it at home in full enjoyment.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

Hopefully, Phin and Durham can be consistent while Lander develops over the season.  We need this at other positions too in order to be a consistent contender in the Big Ten.  It's nice that we're not dependent on Lander to be an instant impact freshman.  I hope the same can be true with Geronimo at the big wing spot. 

5 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

Hopefully, Phin and Durham can be consistent while Lander develops over the season.  We need this at other positions too in order to be a consistent contender in the Big Ten.  It's nice that we're not dependent on Lander to be an instant impact freshman.  I hope the same can be true with Geronimo at the big wing spot. 

Exactly!  Same reason I wish IU would utilize the red-shirt. Freakin Wisconsin seems to always have some 2 star big man they grow into a solid contributor (or All conference performer) over 3-4yrs. Until IU can consistently stockpile high-level talent at every position, that is the recipe, IMO. 

12 hours ago, Brass Cannon said:

I want them to shoot better so we start winning basketball games. Guess we all have our reasons 

I think we all want that. Things were just a little over the top after the first game.

We did much better today. 45/36/75 isn't bad for game two vs a pretty decent ranked (KP) team.

I'm happy. Never got close. Looking forward to the Longhorns tomorrow.

12 hours ago, HoosierAloha said:

I can understand being a not so good 3PT shooting team, some players are poor shooters.  The FT shooting % is baffling.  I really can't understand how we can be that bad at converting from the line.  We don't have a player on this team who is individually horrible from the line but we consistently shoot poor a poor FT%.  HOW?!

Agreed. I think I said last game that it might be one the biggest underlying things that gets CAM fired if he doesn't improve. His scheme relies on getting fouled, and obviously hitting the FTs. Did better today. I'm happy happy.

23 minutes ago, Irish YJ said:

Agreed. I think I said last game that it might be one the biggest underlying things that gets CAM fired if he doesn't improve. His scheme relies on getting fouled, and obviously hitting the FTs. Did better today. I'm happy happy.

This is a little mistake but can get out of control as it has in past seasons.  Phin stepped to the line late in the second half and just shot his first FT, he missed.  On his second one, you could see him focusing more and he drained it.  It's something very small but just a few second of concentration can make a world of difference.  I'd like to see how they practice FTs (just shooting them or putting pressure on each other every attempt).  It sounds stupid but can be the difference between a 65% FT shooting team to a 75%.

A little story..  I played for a great high school golf program.  I wasn't individually good in high school but I pushed the ones that were great.  We made every putt on the practice green count for something, we made every putt in our practice round count for something.  When I actually beat the better players in putting contests I would talk so much **** they'd be pissed for days.  We went from struggling in sectionals to competing for state.  I wasn't good enough to play in the tournaments but was given credit by teammates and coaches for upping the competitiveness of the team.  Long story short, I was a horrible golfer in high school but was a competitor.

I'm hoping we have some of those players on this team that will continue to push the other players to get better at anything and everything.  The more pressure they have in practice and shooting around the better they'll be in pressure situations.

21 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

This is a little mistake but can get out of control as it has in past seasons.  Phin stepped to the line late in the second half and just shot his first FT, he missed.  On his second one, you could see him focusing more and he drained it.  It's something very small but just a few second of concentration can make a world of difference.  I'd like to see how they practice FTs (just shooting them or putting pressure on each other every attempt).  It sounds stupid but can be the difference between a 65% FT shooting team to a 75%.

A little story..  I played for a great high school golf program.  I wasn't individually good in high school but I pushed the ones that were great.  We made every putt on the practice green count for something, we made every putt in our practice round count for something.  When I actually beat the better players in putting contests I would talk so much **** they'd be pissed for days.  We went from struggling in sectionals to competing for state.  I wasn't good enough to play in the tournaments but was given credit by teammates and coaches for upping the competitiveness of the team.  Long story short, I was a horrible golfer in high school but was a competitor.

I'm hoping we have some of those players on this team that will continue to push the other players to get better at anything and everything.  The more pressure they have in practice and shooting around the better they'll be in pressure situations.

Some buddies of mine and I have had this same type of conversation the last two years. We'd all like to peak at practice lol. We all wonder about their FT concentration, and we all wonder if CAM is making it painful/costly when they miss. I'd bet if team laps or suicides became a thing when they stunk at FTs, we'd see something better.

2 hours ago, TheWatShot said:

We live in an era where people would rather be entertained than informed.

I suppose I could live with it if it were, in fact, entertaining.  Listening to a wannabe philosopher who seemed largely uninterested in the game doesn't do much for me.  The "highlight" was when he asked the play-by-play guy to name his top three waterfalls.   

7 minutes ago, nerdvana said:

I suppose I could live with it if it were, in fact, entertaining.  Listening to a wannabe philosopher who seemed largely uninterested in the game doesn't do much for me.  The "highlight" was when he asked the play-by-play guy to name his top three waterfalls.   

I was OK with it, as I like BW. But I agree, he was out there.

It was like Snoop as one of the commentators for the Tyson/Jones Jr match....

BW might have talked more B-ball than Snoop talked about boxing. Key word, might.

14 hours ago, rcs29 said:

For the life of me I do not understand why a network would want Bill Walton as a color commentator. Good grief he was awful in every aspect including college basketball knowledge. Example: 8 second call......or wait it's 10 in college.....is that all of college? Summarizing but pretty damn close to what he said

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

I'd like to know why ESPN hates his partner so much. He put in a Herculean effort trying to keep Walton's train(s) of thought on track all to no avail. I really feel for the guy since there was never any real hope of him succeeding. Sadly, the 10/8 second discussion was one of the more coherent comments from Walton all day. He was merely awful 20 years ago now, he is an embarrassment and someone should have enough sense to not put him out their in his current condition. . 

Definitely pleased with the game yesterday.

Some quick thoughts IMO:

• I would like to see Lander handle the press versus AF.  AF always worries me when he handles the ball under pressure.
  • Galloway and Geronimo have a huge ceiling.
  • I hope TJD is not getting caught up thinking he has to be "the guy" every game.  That can really mess with the psyche.  He just needs to play his game and won't have to worry about being "the guy".
  • I have a good feeling that we will see this type of play consistent with Race.  It may not be in numbers, but effort.
  • I hope that Hunter shows up soon.................
  • Al, age pays off well.  Keep up the leadership.
  • Phinisee is playing more under control.  I would like to see him take a few more attempts.  His shot looked much better in the Tech game, but I didn't see any attempts in the this game.
  • If it means that we keep winning, I'll listen to Bill Walton all day long!!!!!

1. Trey Galloway shot 1-6 in 24 minutes yesterday and still was absolutely a positive contributor towards the victory. Some players are just like that. Trey Galloway is going to be one of the all-time beloved Hoosiers.
  2. Rob Phinisee and Al Durham may very well be one of the best starting guard tandems in America.
  • Al is SOOOOO underappreciated. He gets to the rim with either hand, constantly keeps the ball moving on offense, defends well, doesn't turn the ball over, provides leadership, and shoots over 35% from 3. What the hell more can we ask for? That's as good as it gets.

Before this season's practice began, I felt pretty sure that Galloway and Geronimo would be the last two guys at the end of the bench. Wow, what a pleasant surprise I've seen from those two. 

I've heard a lot of comparisons of Geronimo to Anonoby. I think Oladipo might be a better comparison. Although he shouldn't have taken that second three at that point in the shot clock.

Galloway is contributing far more than I could have foreseen. It would not have surprised me to see him red-shirted (of course not now).

Am a little surprised that Leal is the last guy off the bench now. But I think he has all the tools to be an outstanding Big Ten player.

16 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

I just checked--seems like he is in the 40's on many draft boards.

That is a guy that might stay if one wants to speculate about such things.

interesting thought. If TJD does return, and Brunk opts for the extra year offered because of covid, we'd be stacked tightly with big men next year. 

I stumbled upon this today.  I guess he's been doing these since some point last season.  I thought some of you might enjoy them. 

I apologize if this has already been posted elsewhere.

https://iufilmroom.com/2020-21/indiana-vs-providence-11-30-2020/

About IU Film Room

Tony Adragna is the guy behind the curtain. Tony is a 2013 Sports Broadcasting grad from Indiana University. While at IU, Tony spent a lot of time around the basketball program and broadcast some of their games for BTN and WIUX. Upon graduation, Tony became a basketball coach at his alma mater (Southport High School), where he played for the Cardinals through high school.

Mixing a bit of media, IU hoops, and X’s and O’s checks all of the boxes for Tony. Thus, IU Film Room was born.

26 minutes ago, incrediboy said:

interesting thought. If TJD does return, and Brunk opts for the extra year offered because of covid, we'd be stacked tightly with big men next year. 

That would be the absolute best case scenario but I highly doubt it happens.  Like the discussion of not needing Lander to contribute with Phin and Al playing well the same would go for Duncomb next season.  He'd have a year of playing 10-15 minutes a game behind TJD and Brunk while battling them in practice.  I'd feel much better about the program if this ended up being the case.