Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

Grilling/Smoking Thread

Any of you really into grilling or smoking meats/veggies?

For Thanksgiving, I smoked a Turkey Breast Roast and it was awesome. Brined it with basic seasonings (mostly garlic and herb style), then did a wet rub with similar seasonings. We plan on doing it again, delicious!!!

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

We have an electric smoker and then my wife won an egg smoker. Have used the electric one more but have used the egg the last 2 times. Both are great!

Mostly pork and ribs though we tried wings recently. Do you do much differently for a turkey?

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

1 hour ago, JaybobHoosier said:

Any of you really into grilling or smoking meats/veggies?

For Thanksgiving, I smoked a Turkey Breast Roast and it was awesome. Brined it with basic seasonings (mostly garlic and herb style), then did a wet rub with similar seasonings. We plan on doing it again, delicious!!!

What kind of smoker do you have Jay?

23 pound Thanksgiving turkey on my Camp Chef pellet smoker with an applewood hickory mix.

Brined it overnight, butter and sage under the skin, two apples up it’s keister. I’ve got a built in meat thermometer: 8 hours until it hit 155 degrees.

Twas pretty damn perfect.

We have an electric smoker and then my wife won an egg smoker. Have used the electric one more but have used the egg the last 2 times. Both are great!

Mostly pork and ribs though we tried wings recently. Do you do much differently for a turkey?

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

This wasn’t a traditional turkey, it was more in the shape of a pork loin. I did some research on it since it was my first time and it was recommended to wrap it in twine because it can fall about. For this I did it just like I do a pork loin, but I didn’t add any molasses or dark liquid to the brine. I wanted to keep it more herby and it was very good.

Smoked it with Maple wood chips. The only thing I got wrong was I put a little too much salt in my brine. I did my own and probably not the best idea since it was my first Turkey breast roast.

What kind of smoker do you have Jay?
23 pound Thanksgiving turkey on my Camp Chef pellet smoker with an applewood hickory mix.
Brined it overnight, butter and sage under the skin, two apples up it’s keister. I’ve got a built in meat thermometer: 8 hours until it hit 155 degrees.
Twas pretty damn perfect.

I have a chef master electric smoker, fairly standard smoker with a glass door. I want to try doing an actual Turkey and brisket, just haven’t done it yet.

My favorites that I’ve done so far are pork loins and chicken leg quarters. I’ve heard good things about smoking a meatloaf, so that’s on my to do list.

Does anyone have any favorite recipes? While this isn’t a crazy recipe, it’s always a fan favorite at get togethers with friends and family:

- Black & Blue Burger

Instead of on top like most restaurants, mix in the blue cheese and bacon bits with Chicago Steak seasoning. It is an amazing burger! Mixing it in blends really well with the meat for a juice burger.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

If a mod could change the title for me to Grilling/Smoking/Cooking Thread that would be great. :)

Made baked spaghetti tonight, was a big hit with the family. Recipe must have been for a family of 6+ adults that I found, not for 2 adults and 2 young kiddos lol.

IMG_1606701825.282853.jpg

Anyone have experience or recommendations on what to look for regarding a double convection oven?  We have a 10 year basic oven now and an older convection oven on the counter and both are limping along.  I don't normally drop that kind of $ on a Christmas gift for the wife but she has been killing it this year working on the front line.  

She will probably beat me if I do buy one but if i do, I want to get one with the right bells and whistles.  Any suggestions on what to look for, what brands are best etc.  She did say she would prefer a double oven at some point with the convection on top and the regular oven on bottom (no pan drawer).

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.  

Anyone have experience or recommendations on what to look for regarding a double convection oven?  We have a 10 year basic oven now and an older convection oven on the counter and both are limping along.  I don't normally drop that kind of $ on a Christmas gift for the wife but she has been killing it this year working on the front line.  
She will probably beat me if I do buy one but if i do, I want to get one with the right bells and whistles.  Any suggestions on what to look for, what brands are best etc.  She did say she would prefer a double oven at some point with the convection on top and the regular oven on bottom (no pan drawer).
Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.  

Sorry Bucks, wish I had a recommendation for you. Have you tried finding like a site or anything that compares them? I have no clue or would help :(

My family really like my smoked boneless chicken thighs and smoked pork loin. I'm smoking a loin tomorrow. On Christmas planning on smoking a ham

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Nice!!! I’ve heard smoking a meatloaf is really good, and would like to give that a try.

Nice!!! I’ve heard smoking a meatloaf is really good, and would like to give that a try.

I tried that even though the kids are not meatloaf fans, but it is delicious.
Perhaps the one meat I haven't quite perfected yet is brisket. It isn't bad, but I would like to see better. I Don't make it to often because of the price.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk