Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stuhoo

Are We Better Than Last Year?

4 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

At this point, and then what?  another 3-4 year rebuilding project and a hope and a prayer?  Whatever momentum Archie had from signing day is dwindling game by game.  That's my bigger concern.  I think he could succeed if he could recruit like Sean Miller.  

All we need is a coach who is good at Xs and Os and can get the most out of his team.  Archie ihas proven to be bad at both.

Keeping Archie ensures we never become elite again.  We need a change for the sake of IU basketball 

4 minutes ago, Josh said:

All we need is a coach who is good at Xs and Os and can get the most out of his team.  Archie ihas proven to be bad at both.

Keeping Archie ensures we never become elite again.  We need a change for the sake of IU basketball 

I get it, and mostly agree, but we've shown we can't get it done time and time again with the hires, even with ones that should succeed.

The draw is less and less with each hire.  

Kelvin Sampson has made Houston, freaking HOUSTON, and perennial powerhouse.  

1 minute ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

I get it, and mostly agree, but we've shown we can't get it done time and time again with the hires, even with ones that should succeed.

We haven’t been serious about competing. The fanbase needs to demand it 

13 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

This is where I am at. Which is why my hope is that Archie gets it done. Just don't know that will happen, and get less confident by the day.

Still a long season to go, but today was depressing. 

Catch 22.

Most of the fanbase needs recruiting wins to keep the excitement level high and have hope.

The big time recruits need to see winning and better offense to commit.

We have ourselves a catch 22 and that is when coaching tenures generally seem to fade away.  This year is/was huge for Archie to show recruits what IU basketball can be.  Each year, it isn't the hope fades for all.  

16 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Catch 22.

Most of the fanbase needs recruiting wins to keep the excitement level high and have hope.

We have ourselves a catch 22 and that is when coaching tenures generally seem to fade away.  This year is/was huge for Archie to show recruits what IU basketball can be.  Each year, it isn't the hope fades for all.  

The administration also needs to put an emphasis on the program too.  It's nice to talk the big talk but it's another to walk the walk.  This program doesn't have a chance, outside of catching lightning in a bottle, until EVERYONE gets serious about the basketball program being elite.

45 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

We can't just stop trying.  We can't get complacent.   We must expect and demand greatness.  We need to accept defeat and move on for the greater good.  It's time.

Catch 22.

Agreed. To me this would be the make or break year for Archie. I’ve had my worries since before Day 1, and they’ve continued but been patient until most of Crean’s guys were gone. I will still give him this season to play out, but if it’s another bad one then I will be done with Archie. There’s no excuse for the performance today, but every team does have a clunker now and then.

I’m just worried with how the program is fallen, can we get a proven coach at the major level who would come here?

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

5 minutes ago, JaybobHoosier said:

Agreed. To me this would be the make or break year for Archie. I’ve had my worries since before Day 1, and they’ve continued but been patient until most of Crean’s guys were gone. I will still give him this season to play out, but if it’s another bad one then I will be done with Archie. There’s no excuse for the performance today, but every team does have a clunker now and then.

I’m just worried with how the program is fallen, can we get a proven coach at the major level who would come here?

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Money talks.  I agree with Aloha, we need administration buy in to get the money, but it's certainly possible.

Even if not, we just need an X and Os guy.  A guy who can get the most of his players.  The wins will follow, I promise.

IU recruits itself pretty well.  Get the coach who wins and the recruits will come.  At this point I don't care if he's a big name.  We just need a coach who can game plan, prepare, and adjust.  A winner.

This game reminded me of the IU vs Syracuse sweet 16 game.  When IU got trounced by Syracuse, my fears of Crean were confirmed.  I KNEW he would never bring us a championship.  I have the same feeling about Miller now.  I KNOW he will never bring us a championship.

And I hate this feeling.  A good coach does not need 4+ years to show results.  Tom Allen just got IU FOOTBALL into the top 10.  IU basketball can't even crack the top 25.  

We are no longer a blue blood :(  Ugh, that was awful to write. 

Just so you're all prepared, I will be wearing a paper bag over my head with my IU jersey behind the basket at Florida State.  I'm going to see if I can get some FSU fans to join me in chanting "Fire Archie".  This is embarrassing 

If this is what the offense is gonna be then Archie is a dead man walking. My biggest question is if he is let go, where would IU turn? Archie was pretty

Much the only one that wanted the job last time with Mack taking the Louisville job and holtman not wanting the IU fishbowl.

With the school already taking big financial loses, I personally see no way they fire Archie after this year. we may be screwed.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

1 minute ago, LamarCheeks said:

I was wondering what would be the dumbest thing anybody would write after today's game.

I think we have our winner right here. 

Nah, the people who defend Archie have posted more nonsense than this.  This guy is just tired of the constant trends of Archie Miller basketball 

I haven't read through the posts in here yet so maybe I'm repeating some stuff. But the fact is we're not much better. 

Freshmen: Trey has looked impressive, first guy off the bench. But lets not forget, he's only 18 and has never seen basketball like he's about to in the B1G. Same can be said for the other freshmen but..

Leal is the question mark of the class. I don't see him as a B1G player honestly, but he's a hometown kid that could turn into something like Jordan Hulls perhaps? 

Lander is suppose to be attending high school parties and participating in the limited HS basketball season right now. He's a puppy. Just because he has 5* next to his name shouldn't mean we should expect the world from him. Im sure you all remember Crean high rated players such as Hanner, Ron, and Jeremy right? ;) Stars don't mean anything. He's a senior in HS right now basically. He's a four year player. 

REDUCED SCHEDULE: It's the 3rd game of the season and the entire fanbase is ready to jump onto I69 during rush hour. RELAX!! You see how those tune up games are important right? Even if it's cupcakes, we need GAMES! Oh yeah, wasn't our last game in early March too? hm.. 

We're young. Our great PG in Rob P has been a shadow of himself ever seen he got hurt two years ago. Trayce will have to lead us but he'll have his bad games (See tonight and yesterday), and Race will have to embrace his major role now. We play in the hardest conference in America. I mean.. it's year four and you guys are expecting a championship? 

From our AD himself several years ago.. "Who else are we suppose to get"? 

1 hour ago, Defenserocks28 said:

This game reminded me of the IU vs Syracuse sweet 16 game.  When IU got trounced by Syracuse, my fears of Crean were confirmed.  I KNEW he would never bring us a championship.  I have the same feeling about Miller now.  I KNOW he will never bring us a championship.

And I hate this feeling.  A good coach does not need 4+ years to show results.  Tom Allen just got IU FOOTBALL into the top 10.  IU basketball can't even crack the top 25.  

We are no longer a blue blood :(  Ugh, that was awful to write. 

I think, being objective, IU hasn't been a blue-blood since 2002. That was the last echo. Look at the results since then- 4 coaches in 18 yrs, 2 regular season conference championships, 0 Conf tourney championships, a few sweet 16's. If you take away 4 seasons I'm not sure IU is even above average. I don't have the heart to compile the numbers. 

Other schools have a downturn then get it fixed quickly.....IU has wallowed in mediocrity for nearly 20 yrs with no end in sight. 

6 minutes ago, Treesh said:

I haven't read through the posts in here yet so maybe I'm repeating some stuff. But the fact is we're not much better. 

Freshmen: Trey has looked impressive, first guy off the bench. But lets not forget, he's only 18 and has never seen basketball like he's about to in the B1G. Same can be said for the other freshmen but..

Leal is the question mark of the class. I don't see him as a B1G player honestly, but he's a hometown kid that could turn into something like Jordan Hulls perhaps? 

Lander is suppose to be attending high school parties and participating in the limited HS basketball season right now. He's a puppy. Just because he has 5* next to his name shouldn't mean we should expect the world from him. Im sure you all remember Crean high rated players such as Hanner, Ron, and Jeremy right? ;) Stars don't mean anything. He's a senior in HS right now basically. He's a four year player. 

REDUCED SCHEDULE: It's the 3rd game of the season and the entire fanbase is ready to jump onto I69 during rush hour. RELAX!! You see how those tune up games are important right? Even if it's cupcakes, we need GAMES! Oh yeah, wasn't our last game in early March too? hm.. 

We're young. Our great PG in Rob P has been a shadow of himself ever seen he got hurt two years ago. Trayce will have to lead us but he'll have his bad games (See tonight and yesterday), and Race will have to embrace his major role now. We play in the hardest conference in America. I mean.. it's year four and you guys are expecting a championship? 

From our AD himself several years ago.. "Who else are we suppose to get"? 

I hope you're right. No shame in losing to a good, athletic Texas team.  My issue is the disinterested, sluggish play. I have no tolerance for that. That is why I turned it off. There was a lot of time left but it was clearly over. 

I don't think Archie will be fired anytime soon, but I have little confidence he is the answer. I will GLADLY eat crow if he proves me wrong, but IU is in the same baffling cycle of inconsistency that got Crean fired, except we never even reached the heights he provided.