Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stuhoo

Are We Better Than Last Year?

So, forget about our projected record and level of competition. You’ve seen them in action.

We lost DGreen, JSmith, and DeRonDavis, and added Lander, Galloway, Geronimo, and Leal.

Add in some player development (one would hope).

We were a tourney team last year (but barely).

Do you think we are a better team this year?

I think we will be a better team but might not be finishing high in the conference or have a drastically different record. The Big Ten is as strong or stronger than it has been in such a long time, and it’s been strong recently. With more top players staying in school instead of going pro, likely bc of COVID, we may not have closed the gap as much as a normal year. I can see IU finishing 11-9 in conference if all the games get played. Still concerned about free throw shooting and to a lesser extent 3pt shooting. 

I think adding Trey and Khristian is better than Devonte and Justin. So I think we’ll be a little bit better this year... I’m glad Rob hit both his 3pt shots and I liked how we fed Trayce. TJD however doesn’t look like he’s put on much muscle over the offseason which is disappointing.

Maybe. There were a few promising signs last night but I saw a lot of the same issues that have plagued us for the last few years. Bottom line is that you have to be able to hit threes, make FTs and consistently be able to execute on offense. That just doesn’t seem to be likely with this group, again... You can’t go 7 minutes without making a shot against a team as awful as Tennessee Tech. Scoring droughts against B1G teams will mean losses. Our freshmen have to be big contributors this year, hopefully they are up to it.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

We might be slightly better. But I think this is yet another year where the Big Ten as a whole improved more than us. 

We look to be playing the first day of the BTT again. 

And I still can’t even begin to fathom why you would have an offense designed to draw fouls but not be able to hit FTs.  I get there’s other added benefits to drawing a foul.  But my god we must have left hundreds of points at the line over the last 3 years 

I think we are marginally better.

Galloway was a bright spot. But wait until he can’t transition layup all game, then we will see.

Leal, I like Leal, but Leal isn’t ready.

Lander, and I like Lander, isn’t your traditional 5 star PG.

Geronimo, we will see. Must be raw, but looked nice. Probably not ready.

Devonte Green- lots of dumb mistakes, but could make tough shots. Lots of +, maybe more -. More clutch than many we have now. I don’t dislike him like many do.

DeRon-became a shell of himself. Didn’t offer much. Brunk can do what DeRon did but better.

JSmith-was frustrating. Hard to figure out. He played the 4 for Arkansas yesterday and they ran and shot 3s. That is probably how IU should play this year, but shoot less 3 and feed TJD as often as possible. I think Galloway can replace what Smith gave us mostly.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

22 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

I think we are marginally better.

Galloway was a bright spot. But wait until he can’t transition layup all game, then we will see.

Leal, I like Leal, but Leal isn’t ready.

Lander, and I like Lander, isn’t your traditional 5 star PG.

Geronimo, we will see. Must be raw, but looked nice. Probably not ready.

Devonte Green- lots of dumb mistakes, but could make tough shots. Lots of +, maybe more -. More clutch than many we have now. I don’t dislike him like many do.

DeRon-became a shell of himself. Didn’t offer much. Brunk can do what DeRon did but better.

JSmith-was frustrating. Hard to figure out. He played the 4 for Arkansas yesterday and they ran and shot 3s. That is probably how IU should play this year, but shoot less 3 and feed TJD as often as possible. I think Galloway can replace what Smith gave us mostly.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

I know...it’s Tenn Tech, but Geronimo looked substantially less overwhelmed than I expected.

I think it’s near impossible to tell after playing a team of that caliber last night, but I did like what I saw from the new guys. They didn’t look completely lost, and they already have good chemistry with each other. I also liked what I saw from TJD (obviously) and Jerome Hunter. Another thing that I think will help us is playing in front of empty gyms this year. We’re probably going to rely on some freshmen for minutes. Not having to play in front of rowdy Big Ten crowds as freshmen should only help them. 

I think it’s near impossible to tell after playing a team of that caliber last night, but I did like what I saw from the new guys. They didn’t look completely lost, and they already have good chemistry with each other. I also liked what I saw from TJD (obviously) and Jerome Hunter. Another thing that I think will help us is playing in front of empty gyms this year. We’re probably going to rely on some freshmen for minutes. Not having to play in front of rowdy Big Ten crowds as freshmen should only help them. 
Opposite is true for opposing FR coming to AH

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

If forced to give an answer to this after just the one opponent, I would say no, I do not see a significant improvement. There were encouraging signs; however, the team still appears to be struggling to make open shots. When I say struggling, I mean mean missing the rim by 5 feet, and glass shattering, backboard clanks with no defender within 15 feet of the shooter. That, I believe will improve. What really concerns me is where does the rebounding come from when league play starts? We could have a problem there, even with a healthy Brunk.

1 hour ago, Brass Cannon said:

I honestly think that our problems are 95% system. I think we have the players

Starting to think the same thing. We give up a lot of open threes while being seemingly unable to stop drives. That was a bad team last night and, outside of about ten minutes, they seemed to get what they wanted. I think this team will have to win with defense first. Hopefully they look better as they settle in.

Then there is this. What are we to learn from a game against “this caliber opponent”? The opponent that was missing its top 2-3 offensive weapons, and yet was able to play Indiana to a near tie in the 2nd half? What caliber are we then?

1 minute ago, cappymo14 said:

Then there is this. What are we to learn from a game against “this caliber opponent”, missing its 2-3 best offensive weapons, when they play you to a near tie in the 2nd half? What caliber are you then?

If you look great against the 316th team it means nothing. 

If you don’t look great it means a great deal.  

A good team looks like the dream team last night. We looked like that for 10 minutes.  But the other 30 they played us even. 

48 minutes ago, rcs29 said:

Opposite is true for opposing FR coming to AH

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Oh my word, imagine a freshman Gary Harris playing without the chants. He’d have gone for 50. 

If you look great against the 316th team it means nothing. 

If you don’t look great it means a great deal.  

A good team looks like the dream team last night. We looked like that for 10 minutes.  But the other 30 they played us even. 

It concerns me that this defense cannot stop penetration. It concerns me because it was created specifically to stop that very thing. The Davidson kid stole our lunch money last night in the 2nd half.. he’s the third option on a very bad team, and he exposed IU. He did most of it while Rob P. was out. Those of you who think Rob P. will be replaced? That’s a very bad idea.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app