Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

IUBB vs Tennessee Tech - 11/25/20 @ 8:00 ET on BTN

It is baffling, but keep in mind 15 of the 22 FTs attempted were by IU’s two bigs...both of whom need to be much improved. The only other two players to miss a FT were Geronimo (0-2) and Durham (0-2) who will make most those considering he was last year’s best FT shooter. 
Historically, Archie’s IU teams have been rather atrocious at free throw shooting, but hopefully this puts tonight’s performance from the charity stripe into perspective and we can hope for better in the future. 

Okay, so keep calm and ignore the atrocious FT shooting the past couple of years because IU’s bigs shot the majority of FTs last night? 2 of the other 4 players to take a FT didn’t make a single one? I’m not sure I’m following why this won’t be an issue again.

It doesn’t matter who is getting fouled if they’re not making them it’ll cost us. TJD will get hacked a ton down low if he can’t shoot a respectable percentage. Ditto for Thompson.

It’s the ******* easiest shot in the game!!! Make your ******* free throws!!! They’re free!!!

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

45 minutes ago, JaybobHoosier said:

Not much that I can already add that’s been said, and even though it’s game 1 with a lot of newcomers and a different style offense, I was left feeling okay about this team. My biggest worry is while we’ve seen progress each year under Archie, that it might never get us to the top of the Big10. I could definitely be wrong and hope, just being a little cautious I guess.

I was definitely impressed with TJD, Galloway, and Rob. Rob played some really good on-ball defense that will really pay off this season. Galloway reminds me of a better Sheehey, more of a basketball IQ but similar players. TJD struggled some to start finishing through contact, but that’s understandable in the first game.

I was hoping to see more from Race, Al, and Franklin, but it’s not like they played bad. Coming into this season, I felt these guys would be more producers on offense.

Still, game 1 and I shouldn’t read too much into it, just ready for IU to be back as a top team. I think Archie can do it, just waiting to see how it goes this season before making a decision one way or the other.

Regardless, it’s great to have IU basketball back. Also, congrats to the Lady Hoosiers for their dominant performance!

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

You're answer was "Indoors"... and you wagered... - Album on Imgur

Good comparison. I think they both have that cocky arrogance, which I kinda like in a basketball player. Better than being timid. I’ve always liked Galloway when watching his HS games. Him not being a shooter has been my concern (sheehey had a nice mid range game). We will have to see if he can get those run outs against better comp. And finish in traffic vs bigger dudes. Still a lot of questions, but a solid start for the young man.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

I did not like to see Galloway get an open corner three swatted into the bench. Gotta get that thing off quicker. Loved what I saw out him in transition though.

9 hours ago, NRT137 said:

I think you start
Phinisee
Durham
Galloway
Jackson-Davis
Brunk

If Brunk is not available, then put in Thompson again. Justin Smith would have given more depth.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

If there was anyone off the bench that I think you'll see move into the starting line-up this year, it was Hunter.

Lineup report from https://indianahq.com/indiana-vs-tennessee-tech-lineup-report/

The starting lineup of Phinisee, Franklin, Durham, Thompson, and Jackson-Davis did not play together at all last season. They outscored Tenn. Tech by six points in 4:08 to start the contest.

In a similar vein, the lineup that had the largest +/- and most playing time on the night didn’t play together last season either, although they were all on the roster. Phinisee, Franklin, Durham, Hunter, and TJD scored a whopping 29 points in their 9:26 on the court, a stunning 3.07 points per minute (PPM). Anything above 2 PPM is usually really good.

While the freshmen opened eyes with their play yesterday, Khristian Lander and Trey Galloway’s numbers tell a slightly different story. IU scored just 1.6 PPM in Lander’s 15:35 on the court, the lowest of all Hoosiers to play yesterday. On the other hand, IU gave up 1.81 PPM with Galloway on the floor, the highest of all Hoosiers.

indiana-tenn-tech-lineup.png

15 hours ago, HoosierAloha said:

Okay, so keep calm and ignore the atrocious FT shooting the past couple of years because IU’s bigs shot the majority of FTs last night? 2 of the other 4 players to take a FT didn’t make a single one? I’m not sure I’m following why this won’t be an issue again.

It doesn’t matter who is getting fouled if they’re not making them it’ll cost us. TJD will get hacked a ton down low if he can’t shoot a respectable percentage. Ditto for Thompson.

It’s the ******* easiest shot in the game!!! Make your ******* free throws!!! They’re free!!!

I am in complete agreement that free throws should be a positive part of anyone's game at this level.  I also agree that TJD will be at the line a lot (whether he proves to be decent or terrible at the line, he will still go there a ton) and, because of that, whether he makes or misses them will more than likely determine some closer games. 

My point wasn't for you to remain calm and ignore anything.  It drives me nuts too.  I was merely pointing out that it wasn't a team full of players who missed a ton of free throws.  It was four.  That is still too many and concerning, but it wasn't the entire roster.

Al was 0-2.  I doubt his FT percentage will drop considerably from last year when he was the best free throw shooter on the team (albeit 81% led the team).  His percentage has increased each year at IU (71.4 Freshman - 74.0 Sophomore - 81.1 Junior).

Geronimo was 0-2.  I don't know what Geronimo's stats for free throw shooting were in high school.

Race Thompson was 1-4 or 25% compared to 66% last year (which was still below where I wish it was). 

TJD was 6-11.  He shot nearly 70% last year, which isn't necessarily great, but it's not the 54% he shot last night.  It's also near the average of NBA (73%) and above the average for NCAA (69%).

Only two others shot free throws and were perfect.  Armaan Franklin was 2-2 and Trey Galloway was 1-1.

Those four were 7-19, which is abysmal.

The other two were 3-3, which is perfect.

I have said it many times before...I wish we had the shot doctor back.  Unfortunately, Tim Buckley is an assistant at UNLV now after leaving the Timberwolves.  With that said, though, it appears the team isn't too far behind the rest of the NCAA.  Three returning players for IU shot below the NCAA average last year from the line (Armaan shot 61.5%  -  Race shot 65.9%  -  Joey shot 66.7%).  If the NCAA average is 69%, then as a team IU was below average at 67.3% last year.  And, so were IU's opposing teams in games played against them at 68.1%.  Now, I'm not saying we should be average...and last night's percentage was WAY below average...hence the wishes for a Buckley return.  However, in defense of the staff there now, each player has in fact improved each year while at IU.  Let's hope that continues...and sooner than later, as well as more significantly than before.

I am in complete agreement that free throws should be a positive part of anyone's game at this level.  I also agree that TJD will be at the line a lot (whether he proves to be decent or terrible at the line, he will still go there a ton) and, because of that, whether he makes or misses them will more than likely determine some closer games. 
My point wasn't for you to remain calm and ignore anything.  It drives me nuts too.  I was merely pointing out that it wasn't a team full of players who missed a ton of free throws.  It was four.  That is still too many and concerning, but it wasn't the entire roster.
Al was 0-2.  I doubt his FT percentage will drop considerably from last year when he was the best free throw shooter on the team (albeit 81% led the team).  His percentage has increased each year at IU (71.4 Freshman - 74.0 Sophomore - 81.1 Junior).
Geronimo was 0-2.  I don't know what Geronimo's stats for free throw shooting were in high school.
Race Thompson was 1-4 or 25% compared to 66% last year (which was still below where I wish it was). 
TJD was 6-11.  He shot nearly 70% last year, which isn't necessarily great, but it's not the 54% he shot last night.  It's also near the average of NBA (73%) and above the average for NCAA (69%).
Only two others shot free throws and were perfect.  Armaan Franklin was 2-2 and Trey Galloway was 1-1.
Those four were 7-19, which is abysmal.
The other two were 3-3, which is perfect.
I have said it many times before...I wish we had the shot doctor back.  Unfortunately, Tim Buckley is an assistant at UNLV now after leaving the Timberwolves.  With that said, though, it appears the team isn't too far behind the rest of the NCAA.  Three returning players for IU shot below the NCAA average last year from the line (Armaan shot 61.5%  -  Race shot 65.9%  -  Joey shot 66.7%).  If the NCAA average is 69%, then as a team IU was below average at 67.3% last year.  And, so were IU's opposing teams in games played against them at 68.1%.  Now, I'm not saying we should be average...and last night's percentage was WAY below average...hence the wishes for a Buckley return.  However, in defense of the staff there now, each player has in fact improved each year while at IU.  Let's hope that continues...and sooner than later, as well as more significantly than before.
This is exactly the way I took your original post about this.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

So, I didn't get to watch the game the other night, and there are two things I'm dying to know:

1) Did we still have bigs hedging all the way out to half-court, sprinting back to the block, causing everyone to rotate, and leading to a wide open 3?

2) Are we still setting ball screens for our point guards to drive to a block that is occupied by one of our bigs, causing them to just stay at the top of the key and pound nails into the floor? 

Obviously, given the quality of opponent, this stuff probably wouldn't matter too much, but if we're still seeing any of this in conference games...

6 hours ago, TheWatShot said:

So, I didn't get to watch the game the other night, and there are two things I'm dying to know:

1) Did we still have bigs hedging all the way out to half-court, sprinting back to the block, causing everyone to rotate, and leading to a wide open 3?

2) Are we still setting ball screens for our point guards to drive to a block that is occupied by one of our bigs, causing them to just stay at the top of the key and pound nails into the floor? 

Obviously, given the quality of opponent, this stuff probably wouldn't matter too much, but if we're still seeing any of this in conference games...

Happy to say...No and no.

The big men hedging beyond the top of the key used to drive me nuts but we seemed to stop doing that, thankfully, towards the end of last season.

Happy to say...No and no.
The big men hedging beyond the top of the key used to drive me nuts but we seemed to stop doing that, thankfully, towards the end of last season.

We had some high hedges against TT with Trayce racing back into position. TT didn’t make us pay but there are plenty of Guard/Big combos in the B1G that will.

Next question. Can we rebound against bigger, better teams. Outside of Trayce, rebounding depth is a major concern.

11 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

We had some high hedges against TT with Trayce racing back into position. TT didn’t make us pay but there are plenty of Guard/Big combos in the B1G that will.

Next question. Can we rebound against bigger, better teams. Outside of Trayce, rebounding depth is a major concern.

Thanks.

I hate those high hedges.

I must have missed them as I was watching with some family members that were blabbing about a variety of topics with no understanding of the expected focus when watching IU games :)