Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

IUBB vs Tennessee Tech - 11/25/20 @ 8:00 ET on BTN

Not really impressed outside of TJD being his beast self and some of the play from the FR. Honestly see pretty much the same issues I've seen for 3 years especially FT's and 3 %. Game 1 I get it but **** starts getting real next game.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Always enjoy IUBB.

TJD makes us a fringe top 25 team at best. He’s is and always has been amazing.

Outside of that, meh.

My player rating today out of 10.

TJD 9. Free throws and a slow start.
Galloway 8. Did his thing. Once B1G teams figure him out it will be tougher. He did what Justin Smith should have done.
Phin 7. Solid game. Hit shots. Not spectacular.
Durham 7. Solid game. Did what he does.
Hunter 7.5. I liked him today. He should play starter minutes.

These were our best players by far.

Lander. 4. He’s fast. He’ll be good. He’s got a long way to go to be a dominant Guard in the B1G. He’s not DJ Carton as a freshman.
Race. 4. He needs to play so much better. We need his size. He didn’t offer much today.
Leal. 2. Plays smart, plays hard. Freshman debut. He’ll get better
Geronimo 5. He can carve out a niche if he gains confidence.
Franklin 3. Grading on a curve. Expected more from him. Didn’t look fast or explosive. Outplayed by Galloway for 3rd guard spot. We’ll see.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

30 minutes ago, rcs29 said:

Not really impressed outside of TJD being his beast self and some of the play from the FR. Honestly see pretty much the same issues I've seen for 3 years especially FT's and 3 %. Game 1 I get it but **** starts getting real next game.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Yup, should be a good matchup with Providence. I think we're both ranked similarly. 

As far as 3pt %, I think the frosh were the biggest issue. 1/8. Without them, 36%. And that's with Durham 1/5. I'm sure the Frosh will improve.

Aside from Franklin and Galloway, everyone struggled from the stipe. Archie needs to fix that ****

5 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Always enjoy IUBB.

TJD makes us a fringe top 25 team at best. He’s is and always has been amazing.

Outside of that, meh.

My player rating today out of 10.

TJD 9. Free throws and a slow start.
Galloway 8. Did his thing. Once B1G teams figure him out it will be tougher. He did what Justin Smith should have done.
Phin 7. Solid game. Hit shots. Not spectacular.
Durham 7. Solid game. Did what he does.
Hunter 7.5. I liked him today. He should play starter minutes.

These were our best players by far.

Lander. 4. He’s fast. He’ll be good. He’s got a long way to go to be a dominant Guard in the B1G. He’s not DJ Carton as a freshman.
Race. 4. He needs to play so much better. We need his size. He didn’t offer much today.
Leal. 2. Plays smart, plays hard. Freshman debut. He’ll get better
Geronimo 5. He can carve out a niche if he gains confidence.
Franklin 3. Grading on a curve. Expected more from him. Didn’t look fast or explosive. Outplayed by Galloway for 3rd guard spot. We’ll see.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

Sounds about right.  I think in a nine man rotation when Brunk is healthy, Leal and Geronimo are probably at the bottom and will have some DNPs.

I hear people praising Lander, but Phinisee outplayed Lander tonight. I’m not suggesting Lander didn’t impress me, especially considering his youth (although, Galloway impressed me the most of the freshman by a rather large margin...just everything about how he moved without the ball and was constantly hustling), but statistically Phinisee was the better point guard (tonight). That could change. One game isn’t enough to suggest much. 

Phinisee 

24 mins 12 pts 5-8 (2-3 3pt) 5 rebs 2 ast 0 TO

+ 28

Lander

14 mins 5 pts 2-5 (1-4 3 pt) 0 rebs 2 ast 0 TO

+14

Both played well and under control. 

Durham had 2 TOs but led the way in +/- at +30, followed closely by TJD with +29 and Phinisee +28. (Not that I put a lot of weight on the whole +/-, especially considering Galloway made zero mistakes but due to 3 fouls he ended with only +5). 

Durham’s line would have been great if it wasn’t for poor 3-pt % which was below his typical night, and the two TOs. 

28 mins 9 pts 4-9 (1-5 3pt) 6 rebs 4 ast 1 steal

Phinisee and Durham had 11 rebs at the guard spot. Considering IU struggled on the boards tonight far more than expected, it was good to see this. The two veteran guards out rebounded the entire rest of the team combined 11-10 (Franklin, Lander, Leal, Geronimo, Galloway, Hunter, and Thompson) with the exception of TJD who had 11 himself and was true to form.

It will be interesting to see how the roster and PT breaks down, but IU will have to be better on the boards, hit FTs and shoot better from the perimeter. I was very impressed with TJD (as we should expect) and all the freshman (most notably Galloway who seemed to make no errors and looked much more experienced than a freshman typically does on his first night). Hunter will make his way, I hope. Leal will hit those shots, I hope...as will Durham. Lander looks under control. We’ll see him come into his own, I’m sure. Race needs to be back to beast mode on the boards because Brunk will play more if he can’t. 

Let’s hope the coach and three players on TT didn’t spread the virus to other TT players before this game. 

Galloway IMO has a lot of Will Sheehey's game.  Although he's probably not a dick like Sheehey was. :)

Good comparison. I think they both have that cocky arrogance, which I kinda like in a basketball player. Better than being timid. I’ve always liked Galloway when watching his HS games. Him not being a shooter has been my concern (sheehey had a nice mid range game). We will have to see if he can get those run outs against better comp. And finish in traffic vs bigger dudes. Still a lot of questions, but a solid start for the young man.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

2 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

It’s baffling that a team of players on scholarship can be this bad at shooting FTs. I really think it’s a combination of confidence and lack of concentration. I don’t see horrible form across the board and yet we continue to struggle at the line.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

It is baffling, but keep in mind 15 of the 22 FTs attempted were by IU’s two bigs...both of whom need to be much improved. The only other two players to miss a FT were Geronimo (0-2) and Durham (0-2) who will make most those considering he was last year’s best FT shooter. 

Historically, Archie’s IU teams have been rather atrocious at free throw shooting, but hopefully this puts tonight’s performance from the charity stripe into perspective and we can hope for better in the future. 

Ray wrote: "Historically, Archie's teams have been rather atrocious at free throw shooting..."

Does Archie deliberately recruit poor free throw shooters? As it has over the past three years, poor free throw shooting will bite us--as will poor three point shooting. Judging from the Tennessee Tech game, IU has one really good player and a bunch of role players who can't shoot.