Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

IUBB vs Tennessee Tech - 11/25/20 @ 8:00 ET on BTN

Season opener vs. the Tennessee Tech Golden Eagles a public university located in Cookeville, TN.  Formerly known as Tennessee Polytechnic Institute and before that the University of Dixie when it was founded in 1915 as a private institution.  Last year's team finished with an overall record of 9-22; 6-12 in Ohio Valley Conference league games and just 6-8 in home games.  Head coach is former Kentucky Wildcat John Pelphrey starting his second season with TT.

Tell the refs to throw it up and then stay out of the way.

Zach Osterman - Testing protocol for Tennessee Tech (and presumably North Alabama):

• >> Both teams undergo rapid antigen testing day before game.
  • >> Both teams undergo rapid antigen testing day of game.
  • >> Any positive confirmed by PCR test.
  • >> All testing in Bloomington.

Comments from tonight's radio show.

Archie Miller, talking about an intrasquad scrimmage, with officials. Says he's concerned about IU's conditioning because of the weird offseason.  "I just feel with what we've had to deal with here and where we're at, we're going to need some games to get in game shape."

"For this team this year... it has to be a team that is much, much smarter with the ball.  Executing with the ball... to be successful in the Big Ten."

"As we head into early Big Ten games, we are going to have to be a lot tougher"

On the strength of IU's defense, says last year's squad was bigger, limited in what they could do. "We have the ability to be different this year ... this year's team is a little bit quicker."  Is concerned about defensive rebounding, though.  

Miller says he could see more switching with a smaller squad. Also, says IU's guards are going to have to do some dirty work. "I don't want to say dirty players, but they are going to have to get muddy."

This year's team is a lot more perimeter oriented.  Notes the amount of ball handlers/ability to stretch the floor with this lineup.  Hopes to run more.

"The unique guy on this team, shooting the ball is Jerome... he showed that last year... we need him to make 3's. If he can start the season off more consistent, that will help."

Talks about the "ongoing issue" of not being able to hit open shots.  Says all three freshmen guards have hit shots. "Anthony (Leal), Khristian (Lander), and Trey (Galloway) have all showed the ability to make shots at different times."

Trey Galloway:  "He's going to bring us a big guard that I'm hopeful, early in the season, gives us another playmaker."  "Trey... ball dominant, very shifty with the drive... maybe our best driver."

Jordan Geronimo: " Doesn't know what he's doing and then he'll make freak plays out there and you're like 'Holy cow.' ... Great on the boards."  "Jordan... he is probably the most talented guy I have recruited in a long time." Noted he is still learning and developing a well-rounded game. Also talked about his ability to guard multiple positions.

Anthony Leal:  Puts himself in a position to possibly contribute.  "He's a tremendous worker, he has unamatched work ethic. ... If you work as hard as Anthony, you're going to be successful at anything."  "(Anthony) shoots it... very, very intelligent guy. He put himself in position... we are going to trust him."

Khristian Lander:  "People want him to be something right now ... you have to establish that ground level that you can do this, and then you can get to this and that."  Says he's learning to play harder, more physical.  Lander is going to get "thrown in the fire" and that should "speed his progression up."  Miller says he hit four 3-pointers in the scrimmage.  Didn't even hit the rim.  "Khristian... people forget he graduated early at 17 yrs old... getting better. Learning how to play harder, more physically." He notes how different the game is for Lander from HS to college. 

On his rotation: "About eight guys, those guys have experience ... and then you add in our four freshmen and watching them practice every day, they are playing a big role in practice, I don't see why they won't see the floor here."

"This is a team that they (fans) are going to like."

Tennessee Tech coach John Pelphrey has tested positive for COVID-19, and will not make the trip to Bloomington for Wednesday’a game.

Tech assistant coach Marcus King will serve as acting coach for the game versus IU.

matt Denison 

just a heads up 

2020-21 Tennessee Tech Men's Basketball Roster

Damaria Franklin full bio DAMARIA FRANKLIN
Pos.: G Ht.: 6-4 Wt.: 210 Cl.: Jr. Hometown / Previous School: Chicago, Ill. / State Fair CC
Maverick Smith full bio MAVERICK SMITH
Pos.: G Ht.: 6-5 Wt.: 190 Cl.: Sr. Hometown / Previous School: Oakdale, Tenn. / Oakdale HS
Taelon Peter full bio TAELON PETER
Pos.: G Ht.: 6-4 Wt.: 185 Cl.: Fr. Hometown / Previous School: Russellville, Ark. / Russellville HS
Keishawn Davidson full bio KEISHAWN DAVIDSON
Pos.: G Ht.: 6-2 Wt.: 175 Cl.: So. Hometown / Previous School: Murfreesboro, Tenn. / Athens Prep Academy
Jr. Clay full bio JR. CLAY
Pos.: G Ht.: 6-0 Wt.: 170 Cl.: Jr. Hometown / Previous School: Chattanooga, Tenn. / The McCallie School
Marcus Hopkins full bio MARCUS HOPKINS
Pos.: C Ht.: 7-0 Wt.: 230 Cl.: Jr. Hometown / Previous School: Oakland, Calif. / Daytona State College
CJ Gettelfinger full bio CJ GETTELFINGER
Pos.: G Ht.: 6-4 Wt.: 185 Cl.: So. Hometown / Previous School: Knoxville, Tenn. / Oakland U.
Dane Quest full bio DANE QUEST
Pos.: G Ht.: 6-6 Wt.: 190 Cl.: So. Hometown / Previous School: Toronto, Ontario / Lake Forest [ill.] HS
Amadou Sylla full bio AMADOU SYLLA
Pos.: F Ht.: 6-8 Wt.: 235 Cl.: Jr. Hometown / Previous School: Bamako, Mali / Iowa Western CC
Kenny White Jr. full bio KENNY WHITE JR.
Pos.: F Ht.: 6-7 Wt.: 205 Cl.: Fr. Hometown / Previous School: Madisonville, Ky. / Madisonville-North Hopkins HS
Jalen Stayton full bio JALEN STAYTON
Pos.: F Ht.: 6-8 Wt.: 205 Cl.: Fr. Hometown / Previous School: Murfreesboro, Tenn. / Blackman HS
Tujautae Williams full bio TUJAUTAE WILLIAMS
Pos.: G Ht.: 6-5 Wt.: 190 Cl.: So. Hometown / Previous School: Chicago, Ill. / Orr Academy HS
Austin Harvell full bio AUSTIN HARVELL
Pos.: F Ht.: 6-6 Wt.: 215 Cl.: Fr. Hometown / Previous School: Athens, Ala. / East Limestone HS
Jamaal Thompson full bio JAMAAL THOMPSON
Pos.: G Ht.: 5-10 Wt.: 185 Cl.: Jr. Hometown / Previous School: Hendersonville, Tenn. / ETSU
Shandon Goldman full bio SHANDON GOLDMAN
Pos.: F Ht.: 6-10 Wt.: 225 Cl.: Gr. Hometown / Previous School: Evansville, Ark. / UNI

Coaching & Support Staff

Head Coach: John Pelphrey (Kentucky, 1992), 2nd Season
Assistant Coach: Andre Bell (Bemidji State, 2008), 2nd Season
Assistant Coach: Alex Fain (Alabama, 2013), 2nd Season
Assistant Coach: Marcus King (Northeastern Oklahoma State, 1999), 2nd Season
Director of Operations: Blake Gray (Alabama, 2014), 2nd Season
Student Assistant: Darius Allen (Tennessee Tech, 2020), 1st Season
Student Assistant: Michael Lolio (Tennessee Tech, 2021), 1st Season
Athletic Trainer: Chuck Cushman (Southern Illinois, 2010), 1st Season (8th Overall)
Strength & Conditioning Coach: Matt Hans (Mount St. Joseph, 2014), 3rd Season
Sports Information: Mike Lehman (Northern Illinois, 2012), 9th Season
Graduate Manager: Ezra Pinzur (Tennessee Tech, 2019), 2nd Season
Managers: Bailey Gilliam, Jamin Hazelaar, Taaliyah McClellan,
Jaxson Pelphrey, Hannah Rogan, Trey Treadway

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

11 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

Coach tested positive and there hasn't been any other positives on the team?  Either a false positive or ...?

He socially distanced and their cleaning staff did their job. 

My company has had dozens of positive tests but none have been spread within our facility.  We strictly enforce social distance and surfaces are not shared during a shift and they are wiped down before and after shifts.  

It’s honestly not as hard as some people make it out to be.  

He socially distanced and their cleaning staff did their job. 

My company has had dozens of positive tests but none have been spread within our facility.  We strictly enforce social distance and surfaces are not shared during a shift and they are wiped down before and after shifts.  

It’s honestly not as hard as some people make it out to be.  

How many times have you seen coaches pull their mask down to speak with players in football games..? Think that only happens during games...?

A business and a college team are completely different. Why have you seen breakouts in football teams?

I’m guessing it’s a false positive or there will be some more positives soon. Hopefully this doesn’t carry over to a “rough start” to the season.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

5 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

How many times have you seen coaches pull their mask down to speak with players in football games..? Think that only happens during games...?

A business and a college team are completely different. Why have you seen breakouts in football teams?

I’m guessing it’s a false positive or there will be some more positives soon. Hopefully this doesn’t carry over to a “rough start” to the season.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Or he’s not one of these coaches. I have to coach and talk with people every day.  Never pull my mask down.  

13 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

Okay: Archie says eight guys in the rotation:

TJD, Joey, Race, Al, Rob, Armaan, Khristian, Jerome, maybe add Trey as the ninth.

To me it sounds like he says 8 guys + the Freshmen.... so basically everybody plays? 12 man rotation?

Obviously that won't be the case, but from his coach speak that is the way I took it.

1 minute ago, Str8Hoosiers said:

To me it sounds like he says 8 guys + the Freshmen.... so basically everybody plays? 12 man rotation?

Obviously that won't be the case, but from his coach speak that is the way I took it.

That can't be...we only have 11 scholly players. 

4 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

That can't be...we only have 11 scholly players. 

Good point, I didn't even think about that aspect while I was reading the comments.... so 8 includes the 4 freshman that he doesn't see why wouldn't see the floor?

I am sure your list of 8 (possibly 9) is the real deal...

As much as I would like to watch some Hoosiers on the hardwood, I don't know if I can agree that a game against Tennessee Tech is worth the risk knowing their coach has tested positive. 

Yes, I know, I'll hear many of you tell me how safe it is to have an opposing team with players potentially in an incubation period breathing heavily on IU's roster because they'll all be tested again...or that with my fearful approach we wouldn't have any games to watch...but my point isn't to live in fear but to lean on the side of caution.  It's very different to be working in an office where everyone is wearing a mask and physically distanced than it is to be breathing heavily and sweating while leaning against others for 40 minutes.  There is potentially much more risk to play against a team where the head coach just tested positive than there is playing against a team where everyone has tested negative.  There will be risks in any game, regardless of positive or negative results, just as there are risks going to the grocery store.  However, I need to eat...whereas a game scheduled against a team projected to finish 9th within its rather weak, twelve-team athletic conference isn't as dire.

I would rather see them play in Maui and the Big Ten/ACC Challenge where they have a shot at winning some games of notable impact.  Yes, the rust would be nice to have shaken off prior to those games, but at what risk level should this be considered necessary?  There is the possibility at least one IU player could test positive prior to Maui regardless, and I'm well aware of that, but it would sure suck to learn that one or more players tested positive after tomorrow night's game and would be quarantined and forced to be sidelined (or worse, the entire team is told it cannot participate in that tournament and in that challenge).

I know anyone could have it and be pre-symptomatic, and therefore any game is a risk...but knowing the head coach who surrounds himself with the players (and other coaches and staff) on the court, in the locker room, in the AV room, in the meeting rooms, etc has tested positive should raise some flag (not necessarily red and not necessarily white).  I just hope the physicians, players, coaches, and staff are in agreement with playing...as I suspect and can only imagine they are.  If so, then I will watch because like any other year it's been a long off-season and I'm excited.

I considered not posting at all because I know there are still those among us who continue to believe this virus is "fake news", but...oh well, I'm posting it anyways.  I hope they play the game, all goes well, and nothing more comes of this.  Although, I will be honest and admit I still worry about what sort of early (and potentially drastic) impact it may bring to this season for Indiana.

End of rant.  Go Hoosiers!

12 hours ago, Brass Cannon said:

Or he’s not one of these coaches. I have to coach and talk with people every day.  Never pull my mask down.  

I have a hard time believing that these coaches are always wearing a mask around their players.  We've seen CTA numerous times talking to his team in the locker room without a mask..  These coaches are much more likely thinking they're "in the bubble" with their players when they're in practice.  I watched a handful of IU football practices and these coaches weren't wearing masks the entire time. 

Let's hope and pray that he just happened to get it the day that he tested positive and didn't spread it to any of his players OR that further testing ahead of Wednesday's game removes any other players who actually have it.  How many teams have had a single case since they've been testing?