Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

Game Thread: 11/28 vs. Maryland - Noon - ESPN2

Obviously a good win for the Hoosiers and another week covering the spread! Makes the Hoosiers 6-0 ATS and still the best team in the country in that regard.

In other news the Penix injury sucks and is one of the more classic IUFB occurrences I can remember. However, this is a defensive team; Wommack’s unit is the best in the big ten and arguably up there nationally. They will continue to carry the Hoosiers a bit and all we need is Tuttle and the offense to be serviceable. We might not have beaten Wisco w Penix but now the hope is to take care of business in the other games even w/ Tuttle at the helm. I don’t believe this season to be “over” and still think they can accomplish some special things this season. Super unfortunate still but all hope is not lost

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

46 minutes ago, Banksyrules said:

I doubt it. i think the Big Ten did it the right way when it came to dealing with the virus.  Yeah they canceled the season but they reviewed it and changed their minds.  If Ohio State can’t keep it under control, then that’s on them. These are difficult times and you can’t fault anyone for taking precautions.  

The teams never stopped practicing, so when they decided to resume the season they did not need to wait five weeks. 

Tuttle looked pretty steady considering the circumstances he entered the game under. Let's give him a week with the first unit and see what he can do if Penix is unavailable. Changing the game plan a little going forward might work to our advantage. Now Wisconsin has to plan for something that they have very little film on. The season goes on regardless. I'm actually more concerned about the COVID issue than Penix. I thought I heard the announcers say we had 14 players out for today's game.

21 minutes ago, Magnanimous said:

The teams never stopped practicing, so when they decided to resume the season they did not need to wait five weeks. 

You can’t predict what other teams are going to do .   Duke is the perfect model. I know their offensive line and they told me that they were tested twice a day and that if anyone would get it, their entire practice unit would be shut down.  They  made sure as a team to be very strict.  U can’t predict what other teams will do outside of practice.  If your looking at this simply from a sports perspective that’s fine but from a health perspective I understand and respect the path they choose.  From what I’m hearing the SEC doesn’t care about their players.  Somethings are more important than football.  

Just now, Banksyrules said:

You can’t predict what other teams are going to do .   Duke is the perfect model. I know their offensive line and they told me that they were tested twice a day and that if anyone would get it, their entire practice unit would be shut down.  They  made sure as a team to be very strict.  U can’t predict what other teams will do outside of practice.  If your looking at this simply from a sports perspective that’s fine but from a health perspective I understand and respect the path they choose.  From what I’m hearing the SEC doesn’t care about their players.  Somethings are more important than football.  

This is the wrong thread for this, but collegiate athletes are very low risk. Some guy got carted off the field during the Northwestern game because he could barely move after a big hit. They took him off the field and went right back to playing. How many times have we seen that happen during a football game? Yet we keep right at it. Hits like that are much more dangerous for college football players than Covid is.

Just now, Hoosierfan2017 said:

This is the wrong thread for this, but collegiate athletes are very low risk. Some guy got carted off the field during the Northwestern game because he could barely move after a big hit. They took him off the field and went right back to playing. How many times have we seen that happen during a football game? Yet we keep right at it. Hits like that are much more dangerous for college football players than Covid is.

Let’s stop the covid discussion because I disagree with this though process.  Agree to disagree on this one.  

15 minutes ago, Banksyrules said:

Let’s stop the covid discussion because I disagree with this though process.  Agree to disagree on this one.  

That’s fine. As for the Big 10, they’ve screwed things up every step of the way. They screwed things up when they went rogue and were the first P5 team to cancel the season. Then they screwed up again when they took weeks to change their mind even as the SEC, ACC, and the Big 12 all pressed forward with their seasons. And then, when they did decide to have a season, they screwed up again when they decided to have an 8 week season with no bye weeks and not start until the end of October. Everyone and their brothers knew that Covid would get worse as the weather started to get colder. Yet, the Big 10 wasted all of September and most of October. A series of incompetent decisions has led the conference to where they are today, with their premier program in serious jeopardy of missing the conference championship game because they might not play enough games. 

3 hours ago, IUc2016 said:

You didn’t tell me or anyone else on this board anything. Get out of here with this crap. We all watch sports and non contact injuries happen all the time.

Maybe you should be more considerate of a person possibly seriously injuring themselves instead of criticizing their inability to stay healthy.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

I did say many times last year that Penix is a ticking time bomb with injuries and is made of glass. I certainly don't want it to happen and want him to be healthy but I am going based on the evidence we have right now and that is unfortunately that he cannot stay healthy. Very sad.

46 minutes ago, 8bucks said:

Let’s say OSU does not play enough games to get to the BT final are they excluded also from the NCAA championship games?  

If the Big Ten can't play its title game, the two divisional champions will be declared co-champions and any teams ranked in the top four of the final CFP poll will automatically be placed in the playoff.

I did say many times last year that Penix is a ticking time bomb with injuries and is made of glass. I certainly don't want it to happen and want him to be healthy but I am going based on the evidence we have right now and that is unfortunately that he cannot stay healthy. Very sad.

Dude, we have all watched the games. We have all seen him get injured each year. How in the world do you think you have to inform us of him being injury prone?

35 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

That’s fine. As for the Big 10, they’ve screwed things up every step of the way. They screwed things up when they went rogue and were the first P5 team to cancel the season. Then they screwed up again when they took weeks to change their mind even as the SEC, ACC, and the Big 12 all pressed forward with their seasons. And then, when they did decide to have a season, they screwed up again when they decided to have an 8 week season with no bye weeks and not start until the end of October. Everyone and their brothers knew that Covid would get worse as the weather started to get colder. Yet, the Big 10 wasted all of September and most of October. A series of incompetent decisions has led the conference to where they are today, with their premier program in serious jeopardy of missing the conference championship game because they might not play enough games. 

Not incompetent at all. Yeah these kids  might be fine on their own but when they off the field they spread to others and in turn spread it to others etc etc.  If you’re a denier of Covid’s impact, well I doubt I can change your mind.  I for one I’m glad  they took a cautious approach. This is a new thing and sports be damned if it could endanger lives. 

14 minutes ago, Banksyrules said:

Not incompetent at all. Yeah these kids  might be fine on their own but when they off the field they spread to others and in turn spread it to others etc etc.  If you’re a denier of Covid’s impact, well I doubt I can change your mind.  I for one I’m glad  they took a cautious approach. This is a new thing and sports be damned if it could endanger lives. 

It's not like spread wouldn't happen if the season was canceled. Those players would still be on campus, taking classes, going to parties, and going out into the community. If anything, they'd be less cautious if the season was canceled because they wouldn't lose anything if they catch the virus. Now, they have to be careful because getting infected can mean missing several games at best, and causing your team to miss several games at worst.

The Big 10 failed every step of the way, and now they're seeing the consequences. I have no idea what they were thinking when they put together an 8 week season with 0 bye weeks built in. 

1 hour ago, Naturalhoosier said:

If the Big Ten can't play its title game, the two divisional champions will be declared co-champions and any teams ranked in the top four of the final CFP poll will automatically be placed in the playoff.

Ok that is what i thought. Read, or possibly misread, where someone said that if OSU did not get to 6 games it might cost them a shot at the national championship.  I could see where OSU isn’t in the BT championship but still has a shot at the national championship 

22 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

It's not like spread wouldn't happen if the season was canceled. Those players would still be on campus, taking classes, going to parties, and going out into the community. If anything, they'd be less cautious if the season was canceled because they wouldn't lose anything if they catch the virus. Now, they have to be careful because getting infected can mean missing several games at best, and causing your team to miss several games at worst.

The Big 10 failed every step of the way, and now they're seeing the consequences. I have no idea what they were thinking when they put together an 8 week season with 0 bye weeks built in. 

It’s the big ten that are imposing these measures.  I’m highly involved in the ACC and hear close word for the SEC.  Things are way worse here covid related.  They just don’t care about their student athletes.  They care more about money.  Big difference.  

With the result today, IU finished with a 5-1 record against the Big Ten East division. I never thought that was possible, even in a crazy COVID year. Congrats to CTA, players, and program.

OUT-FREAKING-STANDING!!!

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Absolutely! I love this IU team and hate for everyone involved that fans can’t be there and wish Covid was gone!

Can’t wait to go next year if all is well. Anyway, IU has to find away for quicker starts. Can’t keep having horrid 1st half offense and hope our defense doesn’t have a bad game.

Absolutely! I love this IU team and hate for everyone involved that fans can’t be there and wish Covid was gone!

Can’t wait to go next year if all is well. Anyway, IU has to find away for quicker starts. Can’t keep having horrid 1st half offense and hope our defense doesn’t have a bad game.

We’ll need to play a complete game start to finish against Wiscy. We won’t be able to rely solely on our defense to keep us around until the offense gets going.

I want some revenge on Wiscy for those years their fifth string RB ran for 500 yards and 20 TDs on us!!