Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

mamasa

Game Thread: 11/7 vs Michigan Noon FS1

1 hour ago, HoosierAloha said:

That’s just nonsense. I’d say it’s O$U with a 99% chance unless COVID strikes.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

It is crazy to call it nearly 50-50. I’d say it’s a 90% chance OSU wins and it is very clear that one team in the league is waaaayyyyy above the other 13. 
I will FOREVER love that we beat PSU and UM in the same year but they were both obviously overrated. That being said, we beat two blue bloods absolutely loaded with 4 star players. I can’t remember a better 3 game stretch for IU football, ever. Let’s take care of business vs MSU!!

1 hour ago, DChoosier said:

It is crazy to call it nearly 50-50. I’d say it’s a 90% chance OSU wins and it is very clear that one team in the league is waaaayyyyy above the other 13. 
I will FOREVER love that we beat PSU and UM in the same year but they were both obviously overrated. That being said, we beat two blue bloods absolutely loaded with 4 star players. I can’t remember a better 3 game stretch for IU football, ever. Let’s take care of business vs MSU!!

Overrated perhaps, but those are two programs we should probably have beaten 3-4 times each within the last 15 years, Penn State especially. 

21 minutes ago, Magnanimous said:

Overrated perhaps, but those are two programs we should probably have beaten 3-4 times each within the last 15 years, Penn State especially. 

We also have been very close, including ot losses, vs UM in the last 10 years. I took my family to Bloomington for the 2010 (I think) Denard led UM game that IU would have won if we had even a below average D. Unfortunately he inevitably led them to an end of game, 90 or so yard drive, to win. 
I appreciated our improvement in close loses like that but 0-1 was still 0-1 in the record book. Really, really thrilled we have gotten over the hump.

12 hours ago, DChoosier said:

I get the urge to say this now, but I don't think its fair to undersell what we've done. I'm not saying you're doing that. Clearly you're also recognizing the significance of this stretch as well. But I've heard a few people try to minimize our wins already. With Michigan, yeah they are probably not as good as most thought they would be. But we also dominated them. It wasn't just squeaking out a 1 or 2 point victory b/c Michigan is down and we are little better than normal. We were very clearly just a much better team than Michigan on Saturday. In regards to PSU, I definitely think we got lucky on our timing of when we played them (no chance they are actually a top 10 team) but I think some additional context will be important when looking back at this win. It was the first game of the year after a very rocky offseason all around. We were rusty, they were rusty. They had hopes of a BIG championship and the playoffs. Then they lose to us in heartbreaking fashion, then lose their only single chance to save their season the next week at home to OSU. After all they sacrificed to get to the point of playing the season, losing their defensive leader and starting RB, only 2 games into the season and its all over. Now they have to play the rest of a shortened season, with far more restrictions on their every day life, playing in front of nobody every week, with much less to play for. Its completely conceivable that they will mail it in for the most part. So on paper, beating PSU may not look that great by the end of the season, but I don't think its as simple as "they were overrated". Ultimately, if we just keep winning it doesn't even matter. 

29 minutes ago, NashvilleHoosier said:

I get the urge to say this now, but I don't think its fair to undersell what we've done. I'm not saying you're doing that. Clearly you're also recognizing the significance of this stretch as well. But I've heard a few people try to minimize our wins already. With Michigan, yeah they are probably not as good as most thought they would be. But we also dominated them. It wasn't just squeaking out a 1 or 2 point victory b/c Michigan is down and we are little better than normal. We were very clearly just a much better team than Michigan on Saturday. In regards to PSU, I definitely think we got lucky on our timing of when we played them (no chance they are actually a top 10 team) but I think some additional context will be important when looking back at this win. It was the first game of the year after a very rocky offseason all around. We were rusty, they were rusty. They had hopes of a BIG championship and the playoffs. Then they lose to us in heartbreaking fashion, then lose their only single chance to save their season the next week at home to OSU. After all they sacrificed to get to the point of playing the season, losing their defensive leader and starting RB, only 2 games into the season and its all over. Now they have to play the rest of a shortened season, with far more restrictions on their every day life, playing in front of nobody every week, with much less to play for. Its completely conceivable that they will mail it in for the most part. So on paper, beating PSU may not look that great by the end of the season, but I don't think its as simple as "they were overrated". Ultimately, if we just keep winning it doesn't even matter. 

I stated that this has been the best 3 game stretch I ever remember (I was at IU in the ‘70’s) so my intent is not to undersell what is happening.  That being said, in the pre-season coaches poll PSU was 7th and UM was 15th and they are now a combined 1-5 which seems to point to them being overrated.  Not saying they are horrible, or that the wins are not great, but do you think PSU and UM will end up the year meeting their pre-season expectations? 

Like you I am enjoying the ride and can’t wait for Saturday as we owe MSU a ton of payback. Would love to sweep the Michigan schools.

4 minutes ago, DChoosier said:

I stated that this has been the best 3 game stretch I ever remember (I was at IU in the ‘70’s) so my intent is not to undersell what is happening.  That being said, in the pre-season coaches poll PSU was 7th and UM was 15th and they are now a combined 1-5 which seems to point to them being overrated.  Not saying they are horrible, or that the wins are not great, but do you think PSU and UM will end up the year meeting their pre-season expectations? 

Like you I am enjoying the ride and can’t wait for Saturday as we owe MSU a ton of payback. Would love to sweep the Michigan schools.

No they definitely won't....b/c we beat them :-). Losing to us likely throws anybody's (who had high expectations) preseason expectations out the window. 

I think my second sentence of that run-on paragraph likely got lost which was: "I'm not saying you're doing that. Clearly you're also recognizing the significance of this stretch as well." I was mostly referring to others (not on this board) trying to undersell what we've done and immediately just say the teams we've beaten were overrated. Maybe its also more that we were underrated?

My overall, much quicker point is....Michigan - yeah, maybe overrated, but we dominated them, we didn't just barely beat an overrated team. PSU - yeah, maybe overrated, but in context that win will have been better than it will appear on paper by the end of the season.

The fact that we're even on here talking about this is remarkable. Let's bring home the Spittoon!