Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

mamasa

Game Thread: 11/7 vs Michigan Noon FS1

Game Notes: Indiana Hosts Michigan

Setting The Scene
• Opening 2-0 in Big Ten play for the first time since 1991, No. 13/13 Indiana (2-0, 2-0 B1G East) returns to Memorial Stadium (FieldTurf) to host No. 23/25 Michigan (1-1, 1-1 B1G East) on Saturday, Nov. 7. Kickoff is set for noon EDT on FS1.
• IU is ranked in both national polls for the second-straight week, sitting at No. 13 in the Associated Press Top 25 and at No. 13 in the Amway Coaches Poll presented by USA Today Sports.
• The ranking is the best for the Hoosiers in the AP Poll since Oct. 31, 1987 (No. 11), while the team's place in the Coaches Poll matches its best-ever rating from Nov. 1, 1993.
• Indiana has won three-straight Big Ten games and seven of its last nine.
• IU's 36-35, overtime win over No. 8 Penn State in the season opener was the sixth against a Top-10 opponent in program history, with the last coming at No. 9 Ohio State (31-10) on Oct. 10, 1987.
• It marked the Hoosiers first Top-10 victory at Memorial Stadium since Nov. 25, 1967 (No. 3 Purdue, 19-14).
• Two of the last three meetings between Indiana and Michigan in Bloomington have extended into overtime. U-M downed IU, 27-20, on Oct. 14, 2017, and 48-41 in double overtime on Nov. 14, 2015.

The Coaches
• One of 22 semifinalists for the 2019 George Munger College Coach of the Year Award, Tom Allen is 20-20 in his fourth season as Indiana head coach. A 28-year coaching veteran, Allen was named the program's 29th head football coach on Dec. 1, 2016. (full bio on page 13)
• Jim Harbaugh is 48-19 (.716) in his sixth season as Michigan head coach. He owns a 106-46 (.697) overall record with stints at Stanford (2007-10) and San Diego (2004-06). Harbaugh coached the San Francisco 49ers from 2011-14.

News & Notes
 Tom Allen became the fourth-fastest IU head coach to reach 20 wins, trailing only James Horne (32 games, 1898-1904), James Sheldon (34, 1905-13) and Ewald Stiehm (39, 1916-21).
• Indiana has recorded a takeaway in 31 of the last 33 games. The Hoosiers have manufactured six takeaways during the 2020 season and have scored 34 points off of the takeaways.
• IU shares first in the B1G in takeaway margin (+4), is second in INTs (5) and tied for third in takeaways (6).
• Indiana is a perfect 12-of-12 in the red zone (8 touchdowns) and have held opponents to 4-of-8 (3 TDs).
• The Hoosiers have reached 30 points in each of the first two games and 11 times since the start of 2019, which shares second (Minnesota) in the Big Ten behind Ohio State's 14.
• Kicker Charles Campbell earned Big Ten Special Teams Player of the Week honors a week after safety Jamar Johnson shared Defensive Player of the Week accolades.

Media Wednesday: Michigan

Story Links

Below are partial transcriptions of Zoom press conferences with Indiana CB Tiawan Mullen, TE Peyton Hendershot, DB Devon Matthews, and LB Micah McFadden on Wednesday, Nov. 4.

CB Tiawan Mullen
Q. On successful blitzing…
MULLEN: I think it was successful because we disguised it well. I did not show any details that I was coming. When it was time to come, I improvised and got the quarterback down.

Q. On Michigan QB Joe Milton…
MULLEN: He is a very explosive guy. He is a big guy and has a strong arm. They have a great receiving group. We have to go out and execute whatever call defensive coordinator Kane Wommack makes. We just have to go out there and play. They have a great offense, but we have a great defense. At the end of the day, you just have to go out there and make plays.

Q. On speed and athleticism helping in blitzing…
MULLEN: I was practicing the blitzing throughout the week and kept getting better. I am a much better blitzer than last year. That was something that I wanted to work on and I showed a bunch of progress. When my name is called to go get the quarterback, I am going to get the job done.

TE Peyton Hendershot
Q. On Michigan's defense…
HENDERSHOT: It all starts up front, just like it does in every game. Big men lead the way, especially in this game. Michigan has a really good defensive line. It starts up front. If we can do our job by blocking their defense ends and tackles well, then everything else will fall into place.

Q. On getting into the end zone last week…
HENDERSHOT: It felt good. I felt like I went into the game last week against Penn State trying to do too much. I talked to Coach Nick Sheridan and they got on me pretty hard. You would not want it any other way, if you want to be a great player you want the coaches to coach you. We talked about playing for my teammates and going out there and taking it one snap at a time. I feel like that is what I did on Saturday. I played a better game because I was not out there trying to do too much. My focus for this week, and for the rest of the season, is to just take things one play at a time and playing for my teammates.

Q. On starting faster this week…
HENDERSHOT: It is very important to start fast at the beginning of the game and the start of the second half. It sets the attitude of the game. I feel like we came out too slow, not that we have put ourselves in a deficit, but it would make our lives a lot easier if we came out stronger early. I think that we are going to focus on taking it one play at a time and executing better. I do not think that our execution has been as good as it needs to be. We are going to need to have our best game of execution this week.

DB Devon Matthews
Q. On his impact on the defense…
MATTHEWS: We are just buying in to what the coaches are telling us to do. We are just doing our job. That is really it, just doing our job.

Q. On the safety's open field tackling…
MATTHEWS: Tackling is very important. If you do not tackle, you do not win games. Especially at the safety position, you are the last man of defense. If we do not make a tackle, nobody else is going to make a tackle, it is a touchdown. As long as we are making tackling and keeping plays in front of us, we are going to be good.

Q. On how well the secondary is playing right now…
MATTHEWS: I think we are playing very well. We are all comfortable back there, we have got experience. Like I have been saying before, experience is key to our defense. We all know what to do. We all are just doing our job. We all are just buying into what the coach is telling us to do, go out there and play our game and come out victorious.

LB Micah McFadden
Q. On what is key against Michigan's offense…
MCFADDEN: I think they have got a good running game. A lot of guard pulls and stuff like that, getting the perimeter game going. We have to have good edges to our defense. We have to be good on the back end, knowing where our fits are, and what the safety rotation is, stuff like that. And also, just protecting inside seam throws. [Joe Milton] likes the middle of the field. That is where he is pretty comfortable throwing, so we have got to protect that.

Q. On his success at Indiana…
MCFADDEN: I remember they offered me spring time after my junior season. I had a decent junior year but I did not really play like an inside backer position that would help me get recruited to a division one program playing middle back like I am now. So, They definitely offered me earlier than I would have expected a Power-5 school to offer me, or you know if any. But I think they saw just a little bit a physicality in my game and just having a nose for the ball. I think during the spring time they really saw a few plays that I made, and I think it made the difference for them recruiting me.

Q. On the confidence against Michigan having beaten Penn State…
MCFADDEN: It definitely brings a lot of confidence. I think the mindset of this team is we take it one week at a time. Each week we are dominating that opponent, it does not really matter what the name on the helmet is or anything like that. It is more about what we do and how physical, how hard we can play our game. Along with doing our assignment, communicating on the field, and just playing sound defense. I think that is the important thing, but definitely being a physical football team will make the difference this game and just trying to dominate our opponent. That will make the difference in bigger games like this.

One day out from the biggest IU-Mich game in recent memory and this thread’s only at a page? Remember folks, we’re a football school now and honestly might just be me here but I detest the Wolverines as much as and if not more than the Boilers.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Not to insult our program but if we win is Michigan promoting an assistant on Monday?

Buyout seems a bit too huge especially during COVID while athletic department is probably losing $. I think I’d miss it a little too if Harbaugh and all the jokes and entertainment left the B1G.

Per Alec Lasley, the camo unis are out.

On Thursday, it was announced that Indiana would be wearing 'Salute to Service' uniforms honoring the United States veterans ahead of Veterans Day on Nov. 11.

Indiana will no longer be wearing these uniforms, sources told TheHoosier.com. Sources indicated that the camo gray color would be 'too white' and 'too close' to the Michigan colors. Michigan is expected to be wearing its all-white jersey combo on Saturday.

Official statement from IU.

On Thursday, it was announced that Indiana would be wearing 'Salute to Service' uniforms honoring the United States veterans ahead of Veterans Day on Nov. 11.
Indiana will no longer be wearing these uniforms, sources told TheHoosier.com. Sources indicated that the camo gray color would be 'too white' and 'too close' to the Michigan colors. Michigan is expected to be wearing its all-white jersey combo on Saturday.
EmLJsxUWkAARpw3?format=jpg%26name=900x900&key=1ba17a5643f3117ddb4c6194097edb2ef35e0d18a0bf5540872b6efa2378e2d3

That’s fine. Michigan needs to hail to the Cream and Crimson anyway!

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

6 hours ago, Bobman1 said:

One day out from the biggest IU-Mich game in recent memory and this thread’s only at a page? Remember folks, we’re a football school now and honestly might just be me here but I detest the Wolverines as much as and if not more than the Boilers.

Just told a Boilermaker fan at work the same thing the other day. When it comes to football the Wolverines are my most hated team.

I’m feeling good about this one.

After last week I’m thinking UM will have a let down. A little adversity for UM early could be disastrous for them.

The leadership on this IU team makes me think that while they may lose on talent at times, their letdowns will be few and far between.

7 hours ago, Bobman1 said:

We're not a football school, we're a soccer school!  Football comes in second.

6 hours ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

I thought they might be a good luck charm. What we've been wearing against Michigan for the last 33 years hasn't worked too well.