Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

mamasa

Game Thread: 10/31 @ Rutgers 3:30 FS1

Game Notes: No. 17/19 Indiana Heads to Rutgers

Setting The Scene
• No. 17/19 Indiana (1-0, 1-0 B1G East) heads on the road for the first time in 2020 to face Rutgers (1-0, 1-0 B1G East) on Saturday, Oct. 31. Kickoff is set for 3:30 p.m. EST at SHI Stadium (Field Turf) on B1G Network.
• After defeating No. 8 Penn State, 36-35, in overtime on Saturday, IU entered the Associated Press Top 25 at No. 17 and the Amway Coaches Poll presented by USA Today Sports at No. 19.
• The ranking is the best for the Hoosiers in the AP Poll since Nov. 2, 1993 (No. 17), while the team's place in the Coaches Poll is the best since Nov. 8, 1993 (No. 18).
• On Nov. 10, 2019, Indiana entered the AP Poll (No. 24) for the first time since Sept. 20, 1994, and the Coaches Poll (No. 25) for the first time since Oct. 17, 1994.
• IU's win over the Nittany Lions was the sixth against a Top-10 opponent in program history, with the last coming at No. 9 Ohio State (31-10) on Oct. 10, 1987.
• It marked the Hoosiers first Top-10 victory at Memorial Stadium since Nov. 25, 1967 (No. 3 Purdue, 19-14).
• S Jamar Johnson earned B1G co-Defensive Player of the Week honors.
• Saturday marks the seventh meeting between the two programs and the fourth in Piscataway.
• Indiana is 4-2 overall against Rutgers and 2-1 at SHI Stadium.
• IU has won the last four games in the series: on Nov. 5, 2016 (33-27, A), on Nov. 18, 2017 (41-0, H), on Sept. 29, 2018 (24-17, A) and Oct. 12, 2019 (35-0, H).
• True freshmen TE AJ Barner, S Bryson Bonds and WR Javon Swinton made their Hoosier debuts vs. PSU.
• The team voted C Harry Crider, LB Cam Jones, DB Marcelino McCrary-Ball, LB Micah McFadden and QB Michael Penix Jr. season captains.

The Coaches
• One of 22 semifinalists for the 2019 George Munger College Coach of the Year Award, Tom Allen is 19-20 in his fourth season as Indiana head coach. A 28-year coaching veteran, Allen was named the program's 29th head football coach on Dec. 1, 2016. (full bio on page 13)
• Greg Schiano is in his second stint as Rutgers head coach. He posted a 68-67 record with the Scarlet Knights from 2001-11 before taking over as Tampa Bay Buccaneers head coach from 2012-13.

2019 News & Notes
• Indiana posted an 8-5 record and a 5-4 Big Ten mark en route to an appearance in the 2020 TaxSlayer Gator Bowl against Tennessee, the program's first bowl game in the state of Florida.
• The Hoosiers won eight games for just the eighth time in program history and the first time since 1993.
• IU's five-conference wins tied for the third-most in program history (1945, 1979, 1988, 1991, 1993, 2019). 
• Indiana posted a winning conference record for the first time since 1993 (5-3).

14 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Anyone else worried about us celebrating the PSU win for a little too long? Coach Allen has been on TV yesterday and today talking about the win, it's Thursday. Just seems like we need to focus on Rutgers. Hope I'm wrong

For some reason, I'm not worried about this team resting on their laurels.

I think that Penix is gonna shine on Saturday, and the level of athletes on the other side of the ball is going to be noticeably advantageous to both of our lines compared to last week.

Crush 'em!

30 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Anyone else worried about us celebrating the PSU win for a little too long? Coach Allen has been on TV yesterday and today talking about the win, it's Thursday. Just seems like we need to focus on Rutgers. Hope I'm wrong

I was worried about this from the time the psu game ended.  The psu game was the first big time win for this program in forever (understatement).  It'll be interesting to see how they handle it.  I'm afraid we get off to a slow start on Saturday.  Hopefully, we hang around and can make up the ground after getting punched in the face.  Rutger had a good win last weekend too so it'll be interesting to see if they come ready to play too.

Totally agree and have been thinking the same. However Allen is a media darling this week and every outlet wants an interview with him. I think the players will be locked in and ready to annihilate the same team that finished with one passing yard last year.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

1 hour ago, TheWatShot said:

The last two times we won at Rutgers, we won ugly. This is a better Rutgers team than those two times. I just hope we win. 

We are a much better IU team too. I haven’t seen an IU tackle that well ever. I think Allen and company will be fine in getting this team prepped for Saturday.  Remember Rutgers had a decent win too, even against a down MSU team...so they are in a similar mindset. 

3 hours ago, Chris007 said:

R

e

c

r

u

i

t

i

n

g

17 hours ago, Chris007 said:

I'm not as worried about him doing the media stuff. He needs to capitalize on this moment for the good of the program. He doesn't seem like a guy who will lose too much focus on the next task at hand. What I'm more worried about is the team. They finally got that huge win. At least we think they did. I think its yet to be determined if we truly beat an elite team, and it's equally possible that we beat a fringe top 25 team. Even if its the latter, still a solid win, but how quickly are they able to turn the page? Hopefully all the team celebrating was over starting Monday morning. 

33 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

Reading Mike Schuman’s breakdown of the game... it’s safe to say that Rutger brought in a transfer from every other Big Ten program. WTH

Seems smart—they found serious talent that wasn’t getting playing time at OSU, PSU, and UM.

Reading Mike Schuman’s breakdown of the game... it’s safe to say that Rutger brought in a transfer from every other Big Ten program. WTH

We beat Vedral last year. We be another QB that can get out and run. If IU can get pressure on him should be fine. Might be in trouble if we let him run for 100+ like Clifford did last week

Sent from my SM-A515U1 using Tapatalk