Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

(2022) - PF Tarris Reed Jr. to Michigan

Chaminade (2-0) overwhelmed Trinity 83 - 27.  Reed with 12 pts. was Chaminade's leading scorer.  

Chaminade plays again Saturday at 2:00 ET hosting Confluence Academy.   Most of its home games can be watched on its YouTube channel accessed through this link:  https://www.chaminade-stl.org/athletics/athletics#fs-panel-6443

Chaminade routed Confluence Academy 101 - 71.  I had Reed with 26 pts. on 11-15 FG; 0-2 on 3s and 4-7 FT; 12 reb; 2 blks; 1 TO.

To my untrained eye he doesn't look particularly quick and he shouldn't put the ball on the floor but he does have a pretty turnaround jump shot that he can make spinning to his right or left.  I think 9 of his 11 made FG came from that turnaround shot.  Having watched a number of Duncomb, Furst and Kaufman games, IMO they'd all eat his lunch.  

Excerpt from post-game story:   Reed bullied and battered down low but also showed range by hitting multiple jumpers from 15 feet. He went 11-for-15 from the field and also ripped down 15 rebounds with two blocks.  "I just wanted to play as hard as I could for my teammates," Reed said. 

Chaminade's schedule says it has a road game tonight against Cardinal Ritter; however, the game is not on the Ritter schedule.  Chaminade's schedule indicates it's a varsity only game with a 7:30 ET tipoff.  If the game does take place, Ritter live streams at:  https://www.cardinalritterprep.net/apps/pages/index.jsp?uREC_ID=1621222&type=d&pREC_ID=1814638

So if you need a break from Rudolph, Frosty and Charlie Brown you might be able to watch Reed play for an hour before the IU game starts at 8:30.

I watched this game and I had Reed's 27 pts. on 11-17 FG and 5-5 FT.  Also 2 assts; 1 stl. and 6 ugly turnovers most of which came when he put the ball on the floor and tried to dribble thru traffic.  He's a big young man but several times when the pace got really hectic up and down the court, he was just getting to mid-court and looked gassed.  I commented in a previous post that he has a really nice turnaround jump shot and he can spin left or right to take it.  Despite having an IU offer you'll note that there is no mention of IU as an early leader for his services.

Game story -

At 6-foot-10 and 230 pounds, Tarris Reed Jr. might be the largest saxophone player in the country.  The hulking Chaminade junior forward enjoys blowing out one tune after another. "Grandma's Hands," a Bill Withers classic from the early 1970s, is his favorite.  "I've been doing it since the sixth grade and I love it," Reed said. "It's pretty important to me."  But these days Reed has put his baritone sax in the closet for the time being to concentrate on his other passion.  "My focus is totally on basketball right now," he said.

It certainly showed Wednesday night.  Reed scored 27 points and grabbed 14 rebounds to help the Red Devils to a 71-53 win over Cardinal Ritter in a battle of statewide boys basketball powers at Ritter.

Chaminade (4-0) exploded in the fourth quarter to record its fifth successive win over the defending Class 3 state champion Lions (3-2), who are coming off their eighth overall title in March.

Reed triggered an 18-3 run over the first 5 minutes and 7 seconds that turned a 4-point game into a safe 63-44 lead. Reed's rim-rocking slam dunk, his second on the night, punctuated the outburst.

"Coach told us we had to be more aggressive," Reed said. "We knew we had to turn it up. That (slam), it just gave more energy to the team and got us going."

Reed, who tied a career high with the 27-point effort, takes his saxophone playing as seriously as his basketball. He idolizes the late Clarence Clemons, the longtime sax player for Bruce Springsteen and E Street band. At one time Reed played in the school band, but it took away too much time from basketball.  Still, he plans on re-energizing his musical talents later in life, quite possibly in college.  "It's something I don't want to give up," he said.

The St. Charles resident has NCAA Division I college coaches drooling over his services. Mizzou, Saint Louis University, Ohio State, Michigan State and Iowa are among the early leaders, although he admits things can change in a hurry.

For now, Reed is focused on bringing a state crown to Chaminade, which has won two state championships, the last in 2016.

"These guys want to play team ball and they want to do things the right way," Chaminade coach Frank Bennett said. "The better we can get in dialing in from start to finish, the better off we'll be down the road."

Chaminade used a 10-6 blitz at the outset of the third quarter to stretch a three-point halftime lead to 42-35. Ritter fought back to within 42-40 behind Robert Lewis and Mario Fleming, who tallied 21 and 11 points respectively.

The Red Devils took control early in the final period by scoring 10 unanswered points over the first 162 seconds. Nilavan Daniels began the outburst with an old-fashioned 3-point play. Junior Nate Straughter, who added 16 points, followed with a jumper and Reed converted on a smooth fall-away shot for a 53-41 lead. Reed hit a pair of foul shots before executing a highlight-reel slam off a drive along the left baseline.

"He's the kind of teammate you want," Mayo said of Reed. "He actually passes the ball more than we want him to. You want him to be a monster and get 30 (points) a game."

The Red Devils have won their first four contests by an average of 29 points. Last season, they reached the Class 5 state semifinal round before the season was canceled due to the COVID-19 pandemic.  That has served to fuel this group.

"We think about that every day," Mayo said. "It motivates us."

Ritter has beefed up its schedule in an attempt to repeat as state champion.

The Lions dropped a 64-62 decision to Kickapoo on Dec. 12. Kickapoo reached the Class 5 final four last season.

"I definitely think we have the opportunity (to repeat)," Ritter coach Ryan Johnson said. "Right now, with everything that's happening around us, it's more mental than physical. Everything is unknown. Hopefully, it will come together."

Chaminade hosts Vashon Monday the 28th.  Schedule indicates 6:30 CT tipoff but it's never clear in some of these schedules if that's a JV tipoff or a varsity tipoff.  In any event, Chaminade's home games are streamed on 1 of 2 sites accessed at:

https://www.chaminade-stl.org/athletics/athletics#fs-panel-6443

Chaminade (4-1) hosted Vashon (4-0) in a slugfest with Vashon pulling out a 55-52 win.            

With 3:35 left in the game Chaminade led 48-46 and the game stream stopped working.  At that point, Reed had 23 pts. on 7-13 FG and 9-10 FT; 9 reb; 1 blk; 5 TO.  From the post-game story I saw he finished with 25 pts.  He was again carless with the ball resulting in his 5 TOs.

2 hours ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Chaminade (7-1) defeated previously unbeaten CBC 62-58.  Reed had a team high 16 pts. 

Was able to get into this one. I didn’t think last year he was 6’10”. He is now. His movement and athleticism are really coming. They were switching everything and he was able to stay in front of CBC’s guards pretty consistently. He seems to have fallen in love with facing up in the mid post, which was doing CBC a favor since they had no answer for him on the block. Also made 6-6 from the line. Has such a pretty stroke for a big kid. Really like him long term.

26 minutes ago, Demo said:

Was able to get into this one. I didn’t think last year he was 6’10”. He is now. His movement and athleticism are really coming. They were switching everything and he was able to stay in front of CBC’s guards pretty consistently. He seems to have fallen in love with facing up in the mid post, which was doing CBC a favor since they had no answer for him on the block. Also made 6-6 from the line. Has such a pretty stroke for a big kid. Really like him long term.

Any educated guess on his other stats especially rebounds?  Point total was the only one I found.

32 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Any educated guess on his other stats especially rebounds?  Point total was the only one I found.

11 or so rebounds. 4 blocks. Couple of steals. I can think of 3 assists. 4 TO’s, all of which were taking it into traffic. Shot 5-11, I believe. 0-1 from 3. 6-6 from the line. I wasn’t tracking, but that’s pretty close. 
Started the game taking a couple of terrible shots and had a bad TO. All in the first couple of minutes. Settled down and was much better after that.

24 minutes ago, Demo said:

11 or so rebounds. 4 blocks. Couple of steals. I can think of 3 assists. 4 TO’s, all of which were taking it into traffic. Shot 5-11, I believe. 0-1 from 3. 6-6 from the line. I wasn’t tracking, but that’s pretty close. 
Started the game taking a couple of terrible shots and had a bad TO. All in the first couple of minutes. Settled down and was much better after that.

Greatly appreciated.  From the games I've watched, he's not a good ball handler and that's where his TO's mostly arose.  

2 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Greatly appreciated.  From the games I've watched, he's not a good ball handler and that's where his TO's mostly arose.  

Yes, he has that Christian Watford tendency to take it a dribble too far. And he doesn’t always make the simple play. But he does have some tools.