Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

woodenshoemanHoosierfan

Best job in the Army

I miss my Mortars. From Ammo Bearer to gunner to FDC to FDC Chief to Platoon Sargeant, there was no position in the Mortars that wasn't fun and rewarding. I'd love to go back to 20-30 years ago and do it all over again.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10159280845924880&id=620074879&sfnsn=mo

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I have to disagree with you on this one! Being a "Mortar Maggot" is a decent job. But i believe i had the best job. I started as a Forward Observer, calling back to you guys to tell you where to drop the turnip. You have to admit, Being a dirty-nasty FISTer was a better gig than yours. I called in airstrikes, Missile strikes, Rockets, Naval Gunfire, Mortars, Artillery and about everything else you could dream up to bring scunyun to the bad guys. Of course, i went on and did bigger and brighter things becoming a Targeting Officer but FIST was awesome!

https://taskandpurpose.com/military-tech/forward-observers

I am older so I don’t see me doing a career change at this point, but I appreciate each of you for the sacrifices you guys have all made throughout the years.  But maybe your guys post will help influence someone on the fence.  Do you guys have one piece of advice you would have provided your younger self that would have helped prepare you for the life you were about to enter?  Is there anything that you thought would be worse than what it truly was?  I miss CCG and he would sometimes dive into certain aspects he endured that I found massively interesting.  Never did figure out those penny stocks.  

14 hours ago, mdn82 said:

I am older so I don’t see me doing a career change at this point, but I appreciate each of you for the sacrifices you guys have all made throughout the years.  But maybe your guys post will help influence someone on the fence.  Do you guys have one piece of advice you would have provided your younger self that would have helped prepare you for the life you were about to enter?  Is there anything that you thought would be worse than what it truly was?  I miss CCG and he would sometimes dive into certain aspects he endured that I found massively interesting.  Never did figure out those penny stocks.  

I learned a quick lesson to not disturb CCG w/ (what he considered) dumb questions while he was trading stocks lol!  

If I had to tell my younger self what to do to be prepared, I would tell myself to be more prepared for Basic Training, especially the first few weeks. I know those first few days weren't fun for me :) . I would have liked to be in better shape going in. I would also tell myself to prepare mentally to carry a hundred pound ruck on your back plus personal weapons during Marches. The last is especially true for the non mechanized infantry( mortars are considered infantry.
I would also tell myself to understand you will be separated from your family for extended periods of time throughout the year. This is just not about going to a combat zone, but includes multi week training exercises, schools, TDY orders etc. To me that was the hardest part. Thankfully I had a wife and family that supported me.
To me, that is the key to having a successful career. I truly believe, if a soldier, sailor, airman, or Marine has to worry about home, it hurts him as a service member, especially in combat when he needs all his faculties.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Served as an Intelligence Analyst before being medically retired. Great job, good info, learn how to discern information and “think for myself”. Admittedly had great officers as a young private that prepared me and fast tracked me to Sergeant. Regarding the above posts about BCT - personally I loved it. Airborne was great getting some freedom back after a year in training (BCT/AIT). Ranger Selection was hell on earth in Ft Benning July-September. 

Currently work (Federal worker) at the Air Force Academy designing wargames based on forecasting future (potential) conflicts. We have 3 “fake news” channels we create in house, which being an Intel guy set me up for. The 3 channels are assigned to Russia, China, and US news. About half of the news is completely and obviously made up with “real” news sprinkled in from time to time for cadets to factor into their decisions. 

https://www.usafa.edu/research/research-centers/strategy-and-warfare-center-swc/multi-domain-lab-mdl/

On 10/5/2020 at 6:00 PM, mdn82 said:

It was late in the Vietnam War...marches, protests...really was unprepared for college or anything.  Just decided to grow up and maybe see the world.  Get a perspective and a focus.  Did.

Enlisted in the Navy.  Did not want to go to boot camp carrying a ruck sack or carrying a piece. At the time there was no thought of going to another country because of stupid politics.  Got to see the east coast, Germany, Italy and 2 weeks vacation in Europe.  Based in Virginia in drydock and Groton Ct.  Up and down the east coast and visited the Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico.

Qualified in Submarines, E5, Leading Yeoman on a fast attack nuclear submarine.  Was simply amazed at the crew...and the responsibilities for enlisted personnel.

However, the culture shock of seeing all walks of life in boot camp...made me realize just how spoiled I had been.

The Navy is no place for married personnel.  It is so very hard on the spouse that is left behind.  

If a person does not have any self discipline, or cannot take being singled out for ridicule...or is terribly different...you get chewed up.  I have a family member who is Hindu...and if you believe that the military will accommodate your lifestyle then you are wrong.  There are enlisted youngsters that join for the wrong reasons.

If you want to learn a trade, like electronics or get technical schooling, get a signed contract guaranteeing a specific schooling before signing an enlistment. Talk to an experienced mentor other than the recruiter.  Be clear about your goal.

I ended up being older.  Came out and with the GI Bill got two college degrees. Married my IU sweetheart and we have two lovely grown and well-launched and adult daughters.  And didn't have to put anything down to buy a house.  Water Engineering then Chief of Airport Engineering and Planning...camping, travel, theater, reading, water sports...

Glad that I did not have to use a weapon.  I still am a person that wishes for peace on Earth.  And I wish that we all could help our brothers and sisters wherever they live.  I think lots of things about politics and the environment and living wages and jobs and food and education and IU basketball...a lot of that goes back to my way too many undergraduate classes...and my wonderful family as I grew up...and the liberal education at IU getting a business degree.  Then I went to Wisconsin for my Civil and Environmental Engineering...that was tough.

I don't think that the military is necessarily the right thing for everyone.  But, certainly, get away from home for a while, get a job, have a goal, push to get a trade or a college education and be nice. You can do it cheaply with community colleges and state colleges. And co-ops.   Think about service to others.  That will help to make you happy.

13 minutes ago, reconmkd said:

11 Bang bang all the way! 

Pew pew pew. Are you still active? 101st got 130k new XM7 Rifles to replace M4 and XM250 to replace M249. Check out the specs on the weapons it’s honestly insane. Switching from 5.56 to 6.8mm - easier for penetrating armor hint hint 

Pew pew pew. Are you still active? 101st got 130k new XM7 Rifles to replace M4 and XM250 to replace M249. Check out the specs on the weapons it’s honestly insane. Switching from 5.56 to 6.8mm - easier for penetrating armor hint hint 
I'll have to check it out

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, realTomCrean said:

No medically retired in 2009, blew my back out in Iraq. I now work on the civilian side as a biologist for the Corps of Engineers.

America lost an Army veteran today.  Jerry served two tours in Vietnam as a helicopter gunner.  He passed this morning after a cancer battle stemming from Agent Orange.  He was also an awesome father.  Rest In Peace Sir

1778913344_Screenshot_20231108_162417_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.70ad92e99dc401283c1ea74c86e91e5d.jpg
847626384_Screenshot_20231108_162422_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.1d0627e51c9fbc9b21cf5e666ad251fc.jpg
Prayers

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk