Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stuhoo

On the 19th Anniversary of 9/11

I was in sixth grade, and the teachers somehow kept it hidden from us until the school day was over. We had ISTEP testing that day, but in hindsight, that still kind of irritates me. A chill goes down my spine when I remember looking outside around lunch time and thinking what an absolutely beautiful day it was while having no idea what was happening. 

23 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

I was in sixth grade, and the teachers somehow kept it hidden from us until the school day was over. We had ISTEP testing that day, but in hindsight, that still kind of irritates me. A chill goes down my spine when I remember looking outside around lunch time and thinking what an absolutely beautiful day it was while having no idea what was happening. 

Wow, I remember the teacher stopping class to tell us what had happened.

I told the wife that night to prepare for my Guard Unit to be deployed. 2 months later we received the order and left the day after New Years. The first deployment was to Europe.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I was living at the fraternity house at ISU when some others came in the room to wake me up and tell me hwhat was going on.  Now we did a little drinking the night before so I was confused and hung over at what was really going on at first.  We just sat there and watched the news in shock when one of my brothers looked at me and asked where did Mikes (fraternity brother) from New Jersey dad work at back home.  My heart dropped when we realized he worked at the world trade centers.  We tried to get ahold of mike but I knew he had drink a lot the night before so we got in the car and drove over to his house.  He was still sleeping when we arrived.  I Spent the whole day with him trying to get ahold of his mom or somebody to tell him what was going on with his dad.  No worse feeling then not knowing what’s going on with one of your friends parents and there  is nothing you can do about it.   Finally his mom got through because the phones were down over there for a while and got to tell Mike that his dad made it out alive.  Luckily his office was under where the plane hit.   A personal story on how those events effected lives in Terre Haute, Indiana. 

Thank you for sharing. So glad his dad was alright.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Was in the 9th grade. We heard about the first plane but went about our day in gym class.  Later we heard about the second and realized.  We spent the rest of the school day Reporting to our respective classes then the teachers were working together to get us all in rooms with TVs. One teacher was a pissant that tried to teach that day and one kid in our class stormed out to find a TV.  It gave us all the courage to follow.  

Guy I sat next to in biology was a senior who iirc had already enlisted. 

Was in class in Bloomington with several native New York students. It was devastating watching these kids learn about what happened and wondering if their families were ok. Not very many had cell phones back then, news and correspondence traveled much, much more slowly.

I think the LEO mantra grew stronger than ever across America after these events.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

I skipped my classes that day (before knowing what was about to happen) and remember watching the 2nd plane hit. There was a period of time from then on that I felt as if our great nation was unanimously united. It was a cool feeling that came from a terrible situation. Unfortunately that's the kind of thing it takes in modern America. It's certainly one of those "you'll always remember where you were and what you were doing" moments. Absolutely tragic.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

I was a sophomore in high school and had just gotten out of what would have been second period except it was ISTEP that week. They waited to tell us until testers had finished, but as I’m walking to study hall our principal is detailing the events overhead to the entire school and it was like I was moving in slow motion. I get to study hall with our band director and he’s watching the tv silently but visibly horrified as we walk in. All he says very solemnly a minute later is, “I think we’re watching the beginning of World War Three.” And for the first time in my I took the expression seriously.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

42 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Those of you who were in school or college on 9/11 experienced what us old folks experienced when learning the news that President Kennedy had been assassinated.   

My uncle always said it was a good thing we went to the moon or else that moment would have defined the generation. He always was disappointed we didn’t try and tackle something ambitious after 9/11 to try and retake control of what would define us. 

4 hours ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Those of you who were in school or college on 9/11 experienced what us old folks experienced when learning the news that President Kennedy had been assassinated.   

Not quite. When I went home 6 weeks later for a funeral not related to 9/11, every church/temple I passed on the way to the church I was going to had a 9/11 related funeral whether it was police/fire related or for a regular person just going to work on a Tuesday.