Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

(2022) - CG Jalen Hood-Schifino to INDIANA

https://www.noceilingsnba.com/p/the-prospect-overview-the-stunning?utm_source=post-email-title&publication_id=536361&post_id=79190706&isFreemail=false&utm_medium=email

Once you get past that it’s about twice as long as it needs to be, this is a pretty solid deep dive into Hood-Schifino as a next level prospect.

21 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

On this week's Hoosier Hysterics podcast Brian Evans compared Jalen Hood-Schifino to a taller Damon Bailey.

• Strength
  • Doesn't get sped up
  • Constantly looking to get teammates involved
  • Incredibly mature as a freshman

I get it

I can see that. If only he had Bailey's shooting, as well. 

On 11/22/2022 at 12:56 PM, Stuhoo said:

On this week's Hoosier Hysterics podcast Brian Evans compared Jalen Hood-Schifino to a taller Damon Bailey.

• Strength
  • Doesn't get sped up
  • Constantly looking to get teammates involved
  • Incredibly mature as a freshman

I get it

Meh, I guess he's ok.

:)

From Assembly Call -

Since 2007, only 20 freshman guards have hit the following benchmarks:

• • 12.0 ppg
  • • 4.0 apg
  • • 3.5 rbg
  • • Less than 3.0 tpg.

JHS is currently one of them.

7 were one-and-done (including Derrick Rose, De'Aaron Fox, Jalen Suggs and SGA).  Ja Morant was two-and-done.

https://247sports.com/LongFormArticle/2023-NBA-Draft-Big-Board-ncaa-college-basketball-Brandon-Miller-gg-jackson-scoot-henderson-Victor-Wembanyama-204734211/#204734211_1

In a draft rating that’s otherwise absolutely conventional, Branham has Hood-Schifino as the #8 prospect on his board.

Way I look at it, if he leaves and is projected to be a top 10-20 pick, it's going to help Indiana long term. Jalen wasn't thought of as a one and done coming in. I thought maybe two years. I feel Woodson could get a nice Transfer PG and point to Jalen (and even X even thought he's not an NBA player) and say "See, look how they did." Honestly, I wouldn't close the door on any '23 guys either. IU got Tamar in April of his senior year and Malik last May due to coaching changes. Woodson has feasted on that. So far I think Woodson is 2 for 2 on PG he's picked. Bodes well for Cupps and Newton. 

8 minutes ago, Demo said:

https://247sports.com/LongFormArticle/2023-NBA-Draft-Big-Board-ncaa-college-basketball-Brandon-Miller-gg-jackson-scoot-henderson-Victor-Wembanyama-204734211/#204734211_1

In a draft rating that’s otherwise absolutely conventional, Branham has Hood-Schifino as the #8 prospect on his board.

Sml Brooklyn Guy GIF - Sml Brooklyn Guy Listen Kid Hes Gone GIFs

Sam Vecenie has Fino at #14 today:

14. Los Angeles Lakers (via NOP)

Jalen Hood-Schifino | 6-6 wing | 19 years old | Indiana

Hood-Schifino is a big-time riser for scouts over the last month largely due to his well-rounded game. He defends well across the backcourt and is largely responsible for initiating the offense for Indiana. He dishes out 4.3 assists per game and plays like a veteran despite his age. The raw numbers mute his scoring impact. Over the last 14 games, Hood-Schifino has averaged nearly 15 points, three rebounds and four assists on strong efficiency numbers. It’s a bit of a roller coaster in terms of production game by game, but he brings it on defense and plays a strong, team-oriented game every night. I’m a buyer on him. His versatility of skill set should allow him to work his way into being a super high-level rotation player who helps teams win for as long as the shot holds up. He’s already playing that role at Indiana next to Trayce Jackson-Davis.

I wonder how often the B1G freshman of the year returns to school. Other P6 conference freshmen of the year? Guessing not terribly often, maybe I’ll look that up. 

Edit: cruising the freshmen of the year list since 2000, without getting really deep into it, looks like it’s way more often than I thought. I counted 7 that I knew for a fact were one-and-dones.