Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

(2022) - CG Jalen Hood-Schifino to INDIANA

24 minutes ago, Demo said:

You have spoken it into existence. JHS is now at .9907 and officially a 247 composite 5-star.

It was only a matter of time. For some reason the rating sites don’t default to 5 star inside the top 25 but they always end up there…sometimes all the way up to the top 30

5 hours ago, Josh said:

He's a 6'5" point guard??  Man I like that.  I didn't realize that was his primary position

As I keep thinking about this, I keep thinking about that damn loss to Syracuse in 2013.  We all remember that Crean misused Cody against that zone.  But the other thing I can't seem to forget is how tall Michael Carter Williams was against Jordan Hulls.  About what a matchip problem that was.

Holy crap I love the thought of a highly talented 6'5" point guard on our team this time.

1 hour ago, Josh said:

As I keep thinking about this, I keep thinking about that damn loss to Syracuse in 2013.  We all remember that Crean misused Cody against that zone.  But the other thing I can't seem to forget is how tall Michael Carter Williams was against Jordan Hulls.  About what a matchip problem that was.

Holy crap I love the thought of a highly talented 6'5" point guard on our team this time.

That game still gives me nightmares. How about under 5 minutes left, down by 5, Oladiop with 3 fouls....sits on the bench until under the 2 minute mark. Oladipo, mind you, was in the running for DPOY --AND-- OPOY. Crean always thought the guys needed rest. Riiiiight; rest'em as the overall #1 seed when you're losing. Smurt.

29 minutes ago, IU-DL said:

That game still gives me nightmares. How about under 5 minutes left, down by 5, Oladiop with 3 fouls....sits on the bench until under the 2 minute mark. Oladipo, mind you, was in the running for DPOY --AND-- OPOY. Crean always thought the guys needed rest. Riiiiight; rest'em as the overall #1 seed when you're losing. Smurt.

Who would you have had in the middle of that zone? Oladipo?

8 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Zeller was in the middle. He just refused to take the 10ft jumper and kept driving right into the teeth of the zone getting shot blocked. 

Yes.  And Crean never corrected it.  Stop the nightmares!

40 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Zeller was in the middle. He just refused to take the 10ft jumper and kept driving right into the teeth of the zone getting shot blocked. 

Yep, and in 50 minutes an injured Hulls and Yogi were 0-7 from the field.

I’m not defending Crean, as he never seemed to master playing against the zone, but Hulls was hurt and the team did not play well at all (including Cody). Syracuse was a very good team that was top 10 much of the year (and #3 for multiple weeks) and held Marquette to 39 points after the IU game.  Some of the posts I have read through the years virtually make it sound like we lost to UE.

I remember talking to a co-worker, that was a knowledgeable Syracuse fan, prior to the game. I expected him to say it would be a tough game etc, etc but he said “we crush teams with midget guards like you guys have” (ie barely 6’ Hulls and Yogi) and that Michael Carter Williams (lottery pick) would dominate them. He was right. Crean was never good against zones but part of the “luck of the draw” of the tourney is the match-ups and Syracuse was just about the last team we would have wanted to face.

22 minutes ago, DChoosier said:

I’m not defending Crean, as he never seemed to master playing against the zone, but Hulls was hurt and the team did not play well at all (including Cody). Syracuse was a very good team that was top 10 much of the year (and #3 for multiple weeks) and held Marquette to 39 points after the IU game.  Some of the posts I have read through the years virtually make it sound like we lost to UE.

I remember talking to a co-worker, that was a knowledgeable Syracuse fan, prior to the game. I expected him to say it would be a tough game etc, etc but he said “we crush teams with midget guards like you guys have” (ie barely 6’ Hulls and Yogi) and that Michael Carter Williams (lottery pick) would dominate them. He was right. Crean was never good against zones but part of the “luck of the draw” of the tourney is the match-ups and Syracuse was just about the last team we would have wanted to face.

I remember watching the draw and saw we would meet Cuse and I got ill. I knew we were in trouble.

1 hour ago, DChoosier said:

So to bring this back on topic, is Michael carter williams a good comp?

49 minutes ago, MikeRoberts said:

So to bring this back on topic, is Michael carter williams a good comp?

I’m not sure if he is comparable and was responding to prior posts, without really paying attention to the thread title, but do know I’m very happy that Woody pulled in JHS. A point guard with that size, and that plays against the competition that the FL academies face, is a coup for Woody and the program. 
It is often said that college games are won with guards and without coaching a single college game Woody has landed Bates, JHS, Gunn and Newton….!!! Very impressive.