Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

(2022) - CG Jalen Hood-Schifino to INDIANA

siap, from Bossi:

(hard not to get excited here, another strong 2-way player)

A physical guard who is capable of playing all three positions on the perimeter, Hood-Schifino is among the best two way players in the country. He makes winning plays as either a scorer or distributor when he has the ball in his hands and on the defensive end his toughness and high basketball IQ allow him to be one of the very best perimeter defenders in the class of 2022.

I don't wanna jump the gun tooooo much, but next year or even the year after, the idea of Tamir/Jalen in the backcourt is tantalizing. We haven't had that level of 1/2 in a long, long time. Not trying to hyperbolize, but that is the type of backcourt that wins titles in college. I am really really excited for the future.

2 hours ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

As always, thank you for all that you share with us.

This kid seems like yet another extremely high-caliber kid (not just athletically) committed to the Hoosiers. I like his personality, seemingly humble and extremely appreciative but simultaneously very much an alpha, and he will be easy to root for...especially if his work ethic is on the level he promised and his leadership is on par with what I expect it will be. I also love he mentioned Yogi, Vic, Thomas, and Romeo. That spans several decades, not just the latest star at IU anyone watching in the past 5 years would be familiar with. He seems excited to be a Hoosier, as he should be, and I'm excited he is too. 

2 hours ago, Brass Cannon said:

Is he the highest rated player we have recruited since Thomas Bryant from out of state?  Other than Bates which was not a full recruitment per se

https://247sports.com/college/indiana/Sport/Basketball/AllTimeRecruits/

If you're not counting Bates, and if you mean the highest rated recruit from out of state who committed, then yes. 

11 minutes ago, ray said:

https://247sports.com/college/indiana/Sport/Basketball/AllTimeRecruits/

If you're not counting Bates, and if you mean the highest rated recruit from out of state who committed, then yes. 

These two guys are the highest rated out of state guards we have recruited since the modern recruiting era.  That’s insane.  

1 hour ago, Brass Cannon said:

These two guys are the highest rated out of state guards we have recruited since the modern recruiting era.  That’s insane.  

As far as I can tell, IU has only had one pair of rankings-era (~2003-present) five-star guards share a backcourt: Yogi and JBJ.

If you go a little farther back, Recker and Fife overlapped for a year…that’s pre-rankings most places, but Fife was RSCI 12th and they were both McD AAs. 12 is five-star territory by any system, and McD AAs are a good pre-rankings proxy. Not sure you’d call Recker a guard.

Before that there’s Pat and Greg Graham in ‘89 and Damon Bailey in ‘90, again all McD AAs, with two IN Mr. Basketballs.

Edited by lillurk
Mistyped “90” as “98,” edited to correct.

23 minutes ago, lillurk said:

As far as I can tell, IU has only had one pair of rankings-era (~2003-present) five-star guards share a backcourt: Yogi and JBJ.

If you go a little farther back, Recker and Fife overlapped for a year…that’s pre-rankings most places, but Fife was RSCI 12th and they were both McD AAs. 12 is five-star territory by any system, and McD AAs are a good pre-rankings proxy. Not sure you’d call Recker a guard.

Before that there’s Pat and Greg Graham in ‘89 and Damon Bailey in ‘98, again all McD AAs, with two IN Mr. Basketballs.

*Bracey Wright and Marshall Strickland

15 minutes ago, Josh said:

*Bracey Wright and Marshall Strickland

Yes, that’s a close pair, and certainly up there for same-class backcourts. Strickland was RSCI t-62, as high as 43 by Scout, I think — comfortably four-star territory: https://www.basketball-reference.com/awards/recruit_rankings_2002.html

For what it’s worth I think the only other year I can find with two or more four-star and above guards at IU in the same class in my database is JBJ and Rob Johnson.

(Of course you can go farther back, as mentioned previously, to ‘89, ‘87, or other pre-rankings years.)

8 minutes ago, lillurk said:

Yes, that’s a close pair, and certainly up there for same-class backcourts. Strickland was RSCI t-62, as high as 43 by Scout, I think — comfortably four-star territory: https://www.basketball-reference.com/awards/recruit_rankings_2002.html

For what it’s worth I think the only other year I can find with two or more four-star and above guards at IU in the same class in my database is JBJ and Rob Johnson.

(Of course you can go farther back, as mentioned previously, to ‘89, ‘87, or other pre-rankings years.)

https://www.espn.com/recruiting/s/010815top100.html

Marshall Strickland was ranked ridiculously high.  I can remember he and Bracey being the #2 point guard and #2 shooting guard in the nation when they signed

4 hours ago, OKHOOSIER said:

I don't wanna jump the gun tooooo much, but next year or even the year after, the idea of Tamir/Jalen in the backcourt is tantalizing. We haven't had that level of 1/2 in a long, long time. Not trying to hyperbolize, but that is the type of backcourt that wins titles in college. I am really really excited for the future.

Let that enthusiasm flow- this is the place and now is the time! Besides no one will remember what we write in a few days let alone 18 mos :) 

I am excited by this commitment too. One of the most aggravating aspects of the under-achieving over the last 20+ yrs has been most of the time IU has talent. But often with gaping holes in the roster (you all know what I mean, great shooting/no defense, good guards/no post size, no point guards, no leaders, no zone offense...always SOMETHING fundamental missing) This year and now next season is starting to feel like well-rounded teams, not just with random 'talent' like Noah Vonleh or Romeo, but the RIGHT talent. The drought has gone on long enough, it's time for IU to earn it's rightful place atop the big ten and national stage again.  

11 minutes ago, Hardwood83 said:

Let that enthusiasm flow- this is the place and now is the time! Besides no one will remember what we write in a few days let alone 18 mos :) 

I am excited by this commitment too. One of the most aggravating aspects of the under-achieving over the last 20+ yrs has been most of the time IU has talent. But often with gaping holes in the roster (you all know what I mean, great shooting/no defense, good guards/no post size, no point guards, no leaders, no zone offense...always SOMETHING fundamental missing) This year and now next season is starting to feel like well-rounded teams, not just with random 'talent' like Noah Vonleh or Romeo, but the RIGHT talent. The drought has gone on long enough, it's time for IU to earn it's rightful place atop the big ten and national stage again.  

We have had some really good centers starting with Cody, then, Vonleh, Bryant and Jackson-davis. Id say that is the one position we have had a stud at for a while

Center U

We’ve only had 1 good Pg in Yogi over that time, this is definitely a position we needed talent at